CEV beach volleyball calendar for 2013 released
Klagenfurt will be the venue of this year's CEV Beach Volleyball European Championship - Final, the major highlight on the 2013 European beach volleyball calendar
Luxembourg, Luxembourg, March 4, 2013 - The European 2013 beach volleyball season will get started this coming April 2-6 in Antalya, Turkey, via a Satellite tournament that will break all figures as the main draw and the qualification are open to a total of 32 pairs per gender.
The opening of this year’s campaign will run along with a seminar whereby the European Volleyball Confederation (CEV) will contribute to the education of those who, in their respective countries, are responsible for the coordination and development of beach volleyball refereeing.
Elite beach volleyball returns back to Turkey after this country – and namely the neighboring city of Alanya – had played host in June 2012 to the very last stage of the inaugural Continental Cup where the winners eventually qualified for the 2012 Olympics in London. This testifies the increasing popularity of the sport in one of the world’s fastest growing economies where beach volleyball enjoys the surplus of excellent weather and climate conditions almost all year round.
The 2013 season will culminate in the much anticipated CEV Beach Volleyball European Championship Final scheduled for July 30-August 4 in Klagenfurt, Austria, the real “Mecca” of this sport where every year hundreds of thousands have got together for the annual FIVB Grand Slam. However, before Europe’s beach volleyball elite competes for the continental crown on the banks of the Wörthersee, they will be collecting ranking points via a series of other events that are placed under the authority of CEV.
The European Beach Volleyball Championship will first stop in Baden, near Vienna, on May 29-June 2 for a double-gender tournament before moving to Novi Sad, Serbia, where a Masters open only to men’s duos will take place through July 16-20.
Apart from the European Championship, the season will include also a series of additional events; Montpellier (France) will be playing host – through June 5-9 – to a Satellite tournament for the very first time while Lausanne will be prolonging its long tradition with yet another edition of the Satellite that regularly calls for elite teams and many fans there in the hometown of the Olympic movement. Vaduz (LIE) will emulate its Swiss neighbors by hosting its annual event on August 7-11 while the CEV portfolio is completed by the various age group Championships that this year will serve as qualifiers for the relevant FIVB World Champs coming up in 2014.
Molodechno (BLR), Vilnius (LTU) and Varna (BUL) will be hosting – throughout three weekends in August – the U18, U20 and U22 CEV European Champs respectively where the up-and-coming stars of the sport will be blossoming and try to lay down the foundations for their future, professional career.
To round it off, this year will also see Europe’s youngsters embark on their campaign to possibly join the 2014 Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing, China, where beach volleyball will celebrate its first appearance after missing out on the inaugural edition held in Singapore three years ago.
Similarly to what happened with the CEV Continental Cup and the qualification process for the 2012 London Olympics, teams will be playing with the format country vs. country though with only one duo per gender joining forces to carry the young Olympic hopes of their nation.
The six spots attributed to Europe will be eventually assigned in early 2014 as the qualification process will come to an end via the inaugural CEV Youth Continental Cup Final
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win
- Olympic anniversary celebrated with Legends match