CEV beach volleyball calendar for 2013 released
Klagenfurt will be the venue of this year's CEV Beach Volleyball European Championship - Final, the major highlight on the 2013 European beach volleyball calendar
Luxembourg, Luxembourg, March 4, 2013 - The European 2013 beach volleyball season will get started this coming April 2-6 in Antalya, Turkey, via a Satellite tournament that will break all figures as the main draw and the qualification are open to a total of 32 pairs per gender.
The opening of this year’s campaign will run along with a seminar whereby the European Volleyball Confederation (CEV) will contribute to the education of those who, in their respective countries, are responsible for the coordination and development of beach volleyball refereeing.
Elite beach volleyball returns back to Turkey after this country – and namely the neighboring city of Alanya – had played host in June 2012 to the very last stage of the inaugural Continental Cup where the winners eventually qualified for the 2012 Olympics in London. This testifies the increasing popularity of the sport in one of the world’s fastest growing economies where beach volleyball enjoys the surplus of excellent weather and climate conditions almost all year round.
The 2013 season will culminate in the much anticipated CEV Beach Volleyball European Championship Final scheduled for July 30-August 4 in Klagenfurt, Austria, the real “Mecca” of this sport where every year hundreds of thousands have got together for the annual FIVB Grand Slam. However, before Europe’s beach volleyball elite competes for the continental crown on the banks of the Wörthersee, they will be collecting ranking points via a series of other events that are placed under the authority of CEV.
The European Beach Volleyball Championship will first stop in Baden, near Vienna, on May 29-June 2 for a double-gender tournament before moving to Novi Sad, Serbia, where a Masters open only to men’s duos will take place through July 16-20.
Apart from the European Championship, the season will include also a series of additional events; Montpellier (France) will be playing host – through June 5-9 – to a Satellite tournament for the very first time while Lausanne will be prolonging its long tradition with yet another edition of the Satellite that regularly calls for elite teams and many fans there in the hometown of the Olympic movement. Vaduz (LIE) will emulate its Swiss neighbors by hosting its annual event on August 7-11 while the CEV portfolio is completed by the various age group Championships that this year will serve as qualifiers for the relevant FIVB World Champs coming up in 2014.
Molodechno (BLR), Vilnius (LTU) and Varna (BUL) will be hosting – throughout three weekends in August – the U18, U20 and U22 CEV European Champs respectively where the up-and-coming stars of the sport will be blossoming and try to lay down the foundations for their future, professional career.
To round it off, this year will also see Europe’s youngsters embark on their campaign to possibly join the 2014 Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing, China, where beach volleyball will celebrate its first appearance after missing out on the inaugural edition held in Singapore three years ago.
Similarly to what happened with the CEV Continental Cup and the qualification process for the 2012 London Olympics, teams will be playing with the format country vs. country though with only one duo per gender joining forces to carry the young Olympic hopes of their nation.
The six spots attributed to Europe will be eventually assigned in early 2014 as the qualification process will come to an end via the inaugural CEV Youth Continental Cup Final
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - LIVE
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 14 events
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- First round concludes with thrilling matches across Italy
- Ma-Xia win beach volleyball gold at Asian Games
- First FIVB World Tour medal bittersweet for Italy's Menegatti/Orsi Toth
- Call brings old Brazilian friends back together on the beach
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Brazil holds off Italy to win women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Netherlands stops Brazil for men’s gold medal at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China’s Ma-Xia to face Thailand’s Udomchavee-Radarong in the final of Asian Games beach volleyball tournament
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Varenhorst calls in the Experience to FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Beach growing in the land of Volleyball
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- Brazil, Netherlands to tangle for men’s gold Sunday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- Brazil to meet Italy for women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Last-minute invite leads Popp to fifth place at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Four China teams make Asian Games beach volleyball semis
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Men’s final four set for Saturday’s semifinals at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Women’s final four set for Saturday’s semis at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Slow end doesn't dull Czech Republic's Slukova/Kolocova breakthrough year
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Twenty-four men’s duos advance from pool play Thursday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Canada's Binstock/Schachter earn memorable triple in São Paulo
- Women’s field reduced to 24 teams at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Were you at the final?
- Austria's Schwaiger on road to Rio with new teammate
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Ten unbeaten women’s teams Wednesday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Five huge surprises in men’s pool play FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam Wednesday
- Eight undefeated teams stand in good position to advance to second round after Day 2
- No second day shocks for tournament favourites
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 2 - As It Happened
- Young Brazilians pull of major upset at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam