All Brazilian win on the fourth stop of the South American Beach Volleyball Circuit
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, March 3, 2013 – At the end of the fourth stop of the South American Beach Volleyball Circuit, Brazilian duo Rebecca-Liliane took home gold in the women’s competition while compatriots Thiago-Alvaro did the same in the men’s final.
Brazil took home gold medals in both the men's and women's competition|
The stop was played in Peru where the best beach volleyball teams on the continent – 16 for each gender – were welcomed at the Los Delfines Resort in the Miraflores neighbourhood in Lima.
In the first men’s semifinal match, the Grimalt cousins (CHI 1) faced Venezuela’s Mussa-Colina with the cousins claiming victory in a 2-0 (21-14, 21-14) win. The second semi-final match saw Thiago-Alvaro (BRA 1) overcome Hevaldo-Edson (BRA 2) in a tie-breaker 2-1 (21-12, 21-23, 15-10).
The match for the bronze medal pitted Mussa-Colina (VEN) against Hevaldo-Edson (BRA 2). The victory was for Venezuela 2-1 (26-24, 19-21, 18-16) in another exciting tie-breaker.
In the finals of the men’s competition Chile's Grimalt cousins went head-to-head with Brazil's Thiago-Alvaro, which ended with victory for the latter duo after an exciting tie-breaker 2-1 (21-16, 20-22, 15-10).
"We know the Grimalt cousins pretty well so we knew how to spike them and what non-forced errors they could be forced to do. It was a very intensive match and we are sure that the real winners are the audience. We thank Peru for this stop and their great welcome,” said Thiago Santos Barbosa.
Unfortunately for hosts Peru, both the men’s and women’s pairs of Wamo-Roger and Andrea-Mirian were eliminated in the quarterfinals.
In the first semifinal match of the women’s tournament, Brazil’s Elize-Fernanda (BRA 2) beat Argentina’s Gallay-Zonta (ARG 1), 2-0 (21-15, 28-26). Rebecca-Liliane (BRA 1) won the second semifinal match against Galindo-Galindo of Colombia (COL) 2-0 (21-13, 23-21).
The finals saw two Brazilian teams face each other and the fourth stop of the South American Beach Volleyball Circuit in Peru ended with victory for Rebecca-Liliane in a 2-0 win (21-14, 21-18) over Elize-Fernanda.
"We are very happy with this result. We worked very hard to win our place on the Podium,” said Rebecca Barbosa. “The organisation was excellent, the atmosphere welcoming and the beach was great. We felt in love with Peru,” she continued to say.
Argentine duo, Gallay-Zonta overcame the Galindo sisters 2-0 (21-16, 21-13) to take the third place.
1st place: Thiago Santos Barbosa- Alvaro Magliano M. Filho (BRA 1)
2nd place: Marco Grimalt Krogh – Esteban Grimalt Fuster (CHI 1)
3rd place: Farid Mussa – Leonard Colina (VEN)
1st place: Rebeca Barbosa Da Silva – Liliane Simoes Maestrini (BRA 1)
2nd place: Elize Maia Secomandi – Fernanda Berti Alves (BRA 2)
3rd place: Ana Gallay – Virginia Zonta (ARG 1)
- Watch: Drawing of Lots reviews capture excitement of FIVB World Championships
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Puerto Rico hosts NORCECA Final Qualifiers to Nanjing
- Germany’s mentor Vital Heynen shares goals and vision ahead of international season
- Rules of the Game Volleyball Case Book available for download
- Underdogs hope to pull off surprises in Asian Men's Club Championship
- One million dollars in prize money up for grabs at Transavia and Long Beach Grand Slams
- Palestine stages mini-volleyball festival in Bethlehem
- Venezuela and Paraguay take gold in third stage of Youth Olympic Games qualification