All Brazilian win on the fourth stop of the South American Beach Volleyball Circuit
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, March 3, 2013 – At the end of the fourth stop of the South American Beach Volleyball Circuit, Brazilian duo Rebecca-Liliane took home gold in the women’s competition while compatriots Thiago-Alvaro did the same in the men’s final.
Brazil took home gold medals in both the men's and women's competition|
The stop was played in Peru where the best beach volleyball teams on the continent – 16 for each gender – were welcomed at the Los Delfines Resort in the Miraflores neighbourhood in Lima.
In the first men’s semifinal match, the Grimalt cousins (CHI 1) faced Venezuela’s Mussa-Colina with the cousins claiming victory in a 2-0 (21-14, 21-14) win. The second semi-final match saw Thiago-Alvaro (BRA 1) overcome Hevaldo-Edson (BRA 2) in a tie-breaker 2-1 (21-12, 21-23, 15-10).
The match for the bronze medal pitted Mussa-Colina (VEN) against Hevaldo-Edson (BRA 2). The victory was for Venezuela 2-1 (26-24, 19-21, 18-16) in another exciting tie-breaker.
In the finals of the men’s competition Chile's Grimalt cousins went head-to-head with Brazil's Thiago-Alvaro, which ended with victory for the latter duo after an exciting tie-breaker 2-1 (21-16, 20-22, 15-10).
"We know the Grimalt cousins pretty well so we knew how to spike them and what non-forced errors they could be forced to do. It was a very intensive match and we are sure that the real winners are the audience. We thank Peru for this stop and their great welcome,” said Thiago Santos Barbosa.
Unfortunately for hosts Peru, both the men’s and women’s pairs of Wamo-Roger and Andrea-Mirian were eliminated in the quarterfinals.
In the first semifinal match of the women’s tournament, Brazil’s Elize-Fernanda (BRA 2) beat Argentina’s Gallay-Zonta (ARG 1), 2-0 (21-15, 28-26). Rebecca-Liliane (BRA 1) won the second semifinal match against Galindo-Galindo of Colombia (COL) 2-0 (21-13, 23-21).
The finals saw two Brazilian teams face each other and the fourth stop of the South American Beach Volleyball Circuit in Peru ended with victory for Rebecca-Liliane in a 2-0 win (21-14, 21-18) over Elize-Fernanda.
"We are very happy with this result. We worked very hard to win our place on the Podium,” said Rebecca Barbosa. “The organisation was excellent, the atmosphere welcoming and the beach was great. We felt in love with Peru,” she continued to say.
Argentine duo, Gallay-Zonta overcame the Galindo sisters 2-0 (21-16, 21-13) to take the third place.
1st place: Thiago Santos Barbosa- Alvaro Magliano M. Filho (BRA 1)
2nd place: Marco Grimalt Krogh – Esteban Grimalt Fuster (CHI 1)
3rd place: Farid Mussa – Leonard Colina (VEN)
1st place: Rebeca Barbosa Da Silva – Liliane Simoes Maestrini (BRA 1)
2nd place: Elize Maia Secomandi – Fernanda Berti Alves (BRA 2)
3rd place: Ana Gallay – Virginia Zonta (ARG 1)
- Iran, Japan, China, Chinese Taipei reach AVC Cup semifinals
- Angela Leyva in rising orbit ahead of 2017 Grand Prix Group 2
- Ricardo and Andre win Brazil Tour opener
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- “It’s been a long season”
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”
- As the Mikasa Turns - Bansley & Pavan "split" conversation
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- TALKIN’ STATS: Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Preview
- Toronto's Tuesday Trial - Pavan’s pristine picture?