All Brazilian win on the fourth stop of the South American Beach Volleyball Circuit
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, March 3, 2013 – At the end of the fourth stop of the South American Beach Volleyball Circuit, Brazilian duo Rebecca-Liliane took home gold in the women’s competition while compatriots Thiago-Alvaro did the same in the men’s final.
Brazil took home gold medals in both the men's and women's competition|
The stop was played in Peru where the best beach volleyball teams on the continent – 16 for each gender – were welcomed at the Los Delfines Resort in the Miraflores neighbourhood in Lima.
In the first men’s semifinal match, the Grimalt cousins (CHI 1) faced Venezuela’s Mussa-Colina with the cousins claiming victory in a 2-0 (21-14, 21-14) win. The second semi-final match saw Thiago-Alvaro (BRA 1) overcome Hevaldo-Edson (BRA 2) in a tie-breaker 2-1 (21-12, 21-23, 15-10).
The match for the bronze medal pitted Mussa-Colina (VEN) against Hevaldo-Edson (BRA 2). The victory was for Venezuela 2-1 (26-24, 19-21, 18-16) in another exciting tie-breaker.
In the finals of the men’s competition Chile's Grimalt cousins went head-to-head with Brazil's Thiago-Alvaro, which ended with victory for the latter duo after an exciting tie-breaker 2-1 (21-16, 20-22, 15-10).
"We know the Grimalt cousins pretty well so we knew how to spike them and what non-forced errors they could be forced to do. It was a very intensive match and we are sure that the real winners are the audience. We thank Peru for this stop and their great welcome,” said Thiago Santos Barbosa.
Unfortunately for hosts Peru, both the men’s and women’s pairs of Wamo-Roger and Andrea-Mirian were eliminated in the quarterfinals.
In the first semifinal match of the women’s tournament, Brazil’s Elize-Fernanda (BRA 2) beat Argentina’s Gallay-Zonta (ARG 1), 2-0 (21-15, 28-26). Rebecca-Liliane (BRA 1) won the second semifinal match against Galindo-Galindo of Colombia (COL) 2-0 (21-13, 23-21).
The finals saw two Brazilian teams face each other and the fourth stop of the South American Beach Volleyball Circuit in Peru ended with victory for Rebecca-Liliane in a 2-0 win (21-14, 21-18) over Elize-Fernanda.
"We are very happy with this result. We worked very hard to win our place on the Podium,” said Rebecca Barbosa. “The organisation was excellent, the atmosphere welcoming and the beach was great. We felt in love with Peru,” she continued to say.
Argentine duo, Gallay-Zonta overcame the Galindo sisters 2-0 (21-16, 21-13) to take the third place.
1st place: Thiago Santos Barbosa- Alvaro Magliano M. Filho (BRA 1)
2nd place: Marco Grimalt Krogh – Esteban Grimalt Fuster (CHI 1)
3rd place: Farid Mussa – Leonard Colina (VEN)
1st place: Rebeca Barbosa Da Silva – Liliane Simoes Maestrini (BRA 1)
2nd place: Elize Maia Secomandi – Fernanda Berti Alves (BRA 2)
3rd place: Ana Gallay – Virginia Zonta (ARG 1)
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games