Lucena hitting his stride in time for World Tour
Colorado Springs, USA, February 28, 2013 – It has been a tough few months for US player Nick Lucena, but with less than two months before the 2013 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour begins, he is starting to find his old hunger.
Nick Lucena will be back on the World Tour in 2013|
Lucena and his partner Matt Fuerbringer narrowly missed out to Jacob Gibb and Sean Rosenthal for the second USA slot at the London 2012 Olympic Games and then earlier this year Fuerbringer told him that he would probably not be continuing their partnership of three years on the international circuit.
With those two disappointments behind him now though, Lucena is starting to rediscover his rhythm in time for the new season.
“After the (2012) Olympic qualification process ended, I sort of checked out for a while,” Lucena said. “When I started working out and trying to get back into it, I was like, ‘you have to get a hold of yourself.’
“I am fortunate to be in the position I’m in where I can compete in beach volleyball and make money. I’m fortunate and grateful.”
The 33-year-old Lucena has now agreed to play on for another year and he has been training hard in preparation for the coming season with a new workout routine under the supervision of US Olympic Committee athletic trainer Tim Pelot.
With a baby due in April, 2013 will be a memorable year for the Florida native. He also has one eye on the Rio de Janeiro 2016 Olympic Games, though he realises that it is a long road before he has the chance to put the disappointment of missing out on London behind him.
“To get something new and fresh was exciting for me,” he said. “Getting back on the beach is cool too.
“For this year, I’m trying to get by and grind it out,” he said. “If we can play well this year, maybe more good things will happen in 2014.”
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win
- Olympic anniversary celebrated with Legends match