CEV Volleyball Champions League: countdown to final four tournaments has started
Luxembourg, February 15, 2013 - After four months of world-class Volleyball, the 2013 CEV Volleyball Champions League is about to enter its last stage. Upon completion of the Playoffs 6, the teams that will compete in the final four tournaments are known and everything is set for two unforgettable Volleyball weekends in Istanbul and Omsk.
Sweden's Marcus Nilsson will be carrying the hopes of Lokomotiv Novosibirsk as the men's final four is being hosted by the club from Siberia's largest city |
The women will be fighting for glory this coming March 9-10 in Turkey’s megalopolis where the hosts of Galatasaray Daikin – a real rookie in the competition – will be trying to stop the run of Vakifbank in a much anticipated derby. The other semifinal will see the most cosmopolite side in action – Azerbaijan’s Rabita BAKU – play another debutant in Europe’s most elitist competition, Italy’s Unendo Yamamay BUSTO ARSIZIO, winner of the 2010 and 2012 CEV Volleyball Cup.
With Vakifbank having seized the day two years ago by edging Rabita in the final match, it looks like these teams may have a real shot at the trophy but still the two rookies who last year had played each other in the CEV Cup finals will be more than motivated to cause a major sensation at Burhan Felek Volleyball Hall.
Unendo Yamamay and Rabita will open the program of the semis at 2 pm (local time) with the much awaited clash starring Vakifbank and Galatasaray following at 5 pm. The bronze and gold medal matches will then follow on Sunday, March 10, once more at 2 and 5 pm.
The men’s final will take place a week later in Omsk, with hosts Lokomotiv NOVOSIBIRSK, similarly to Galatasaray, going for an all-Russian derby against the 2008 and 2012 winners of Zenit KAZAN. Though they did not have it easy at all in the Playoffs 12 while playing BERLIN Recycling Volleys of Germany, the Tatars left their mark on the Playoffs 6 with a couple of 3:0 wins over their compatriots of Dinamo MOSCOW and the group mentored by Vladimir Alekno – that includes quite a few Olympic champions from London 2012 – will be trying to claim back-to-back crowns there in Siberia.
The second semifinal match will see Italy’s Bre Banca Lannutti CUNEO celebrate – after many failed attempts – their first appearance in the final four and play Poland’s Zaksa KEDZIERZYN-KOZLE, a club that has made it to the last stage for the first time in 10 years. After a real drama in the Playoffs 6 where they could compensate for an away defeat by edging Lube Banca Marche MACERATA at the tie-break and claiming the golden set, the players marshaled by legendary setter Nikola Grbic will be trying to add to the showcase of their glorious club the only trophy that is still missing in that unique collection.
Zenit KAZAN and Lokomotiv NOVOSIBIRSK will open the actions by playing the first semi on Saturday, March 16, at 4:30 pm while CUNEO and Zaksa will then follow at 7:30 pm (local time). The starting times of the bronze and gold medal matches are also confirmed (5:30 and 8:30 pm respectively) for the first final four tournament taking place in Siberia, some 2,300 km from Moscow!
The winners of the 2013 CEV Volleyball Champions League will be representing Europe at the 2013 FIVB Club World Championships that are scheduled for May 12-19 (venue to be determined).
- 360° images recreate finals magic
- Agatha and Barbara top rankings after Netherlands heroics
- Brazil dominates podium in The Hague
- FIVB World Tour resumes in Switzerland at Swatch FIVB Gstaad Major
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update following
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships the Netherlands 2015
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday