CEV Volleyball Champions League: countdown to final four tournaments has started
Luxembourg, February 15, 2013 - After four months of world-class Volleyball, the 2013 CEV Volleyball Champions League is about to enter its last stage. Upon completion of the Playoffs 6, the teams that will compete in the final four tournaments are known and everything is set for two unforgettable Volleyball weekends in Istanbul and Omsk.
Sweden's Marcus Nilsson will be carrying the hopes of Lokomotiv Novosibirsk as the men's final four is being hosted by the club from Siberia's largest city |
The women will be fighting for glory this coming March 9-10 in Turkey’s megalopolis where the hosts of Galatasaray Daikin – a real rookie in the competition – will be trying to stop the run of Vakifbank in a much anticipated derby. The other semifinal will see the most cosmopolite side in action – Azerbaijan’s Rabita BAKU – play another debutant in Europe’s most elitist competition, Italy’s Unendo Yamamay BUSTO ARSIZIO, winner of the 2010 and 2012 CEV Volleyball Cup.
With Vakifbank having seized the day two years ago by edging Rabita in the final match, it looks like these teams may have a real shot at the trophy but still the two rookies who last year had played each other in the CEV Cup finals will be more than motivated to cause a major sensation at Burhan Felek Volleyball Hall.
Unendo Yamamay and Rabita will open the program of the semis at 2 pm (local time) with the much awaited clash starring Vakifbank and Galatasaray following at 5 pm. The bronze and gold medal matches will then follow on Sunday, March 10, once more at 2 and 5 pm.
The men’s final will take place a week later in Omsk, with hosts Lokomotiv NOVOSIBIRSK, similarly to Galatasaray, going for an all-Russian derby against the 2008 and 2012 winners of Zenit KAZAN. Though they did not have it easy at all in the Playoffs 12 while playing BERLIN Recycling Volleys of Germany, the Tatars left their mark on the Playoffs 6 with a couple of 3:0 wins over their compatriots of Dinamo MOSCOW and the group mentored by Vladimir Alekno – that includes quite a few Olympic champions from London 2012 – will be trying to claim back-to-back crowns there in Siberia.
The second semifinal match will see Italy’s Bre Banca Lannutti CUNEO celebrate – after many failed attempts – their first appearance in the final four and play Poland’s Zaksa KEDZIERZYN-KOZLE, a club that has made it to the last stage for the first time in 10 years. After a real drama in the Playoffs 6 where they could compensate for an away defeat by edging Lube Banca Marche MACERATA at the tie-break and claiming the golden set, the players marshaled by legendary setter Nikola Grbic will be trying to add to the showcase of their glorious club the only trophy that is still missing in that unique collection.
Zenit KAZAN and Lokomotiv NOVOSIBIRSK will open the actions by playing the first semi on Saturday, March 16, at 4:30 pm while CUNEO and Zaksa will then follow at 7:30 pm (local time). The starting times of the bronze and gold medal matches are also confirmed (5:30 and 8:30 pm respectively) for the first final four tournament taking place in Siberia, some 2,300 km from Moscow!
The winners of the 2013 CEV Volleyball Champions League will be representing Europe at the 2013 FIVB Club World Championships that are scheduled for May 12-19 (venue to be determined).
- Slovakia to make the most of World League experience
- 2014 FIVB World Tour debuts with Fuzhou Open
- Two undefeated teams head into last preliminary match of Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Phil Dalhausser looks to climb back to the top in beach volleyball
- Watch: Drawing of Lots reviews capture excitement of FIVB World Championships
- Fuzhou gets ready for first FIVB beach volleyball event of the year
- Pepe magic helping Paraguay toward Nanjing dream
- Tianjin, Taipei undefeated, Hisamitsu lead Pool A after day 3 of Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Fuzhou Open Q&A: Get to know China's beach volleyball stars
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball Media Guide now available
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iran claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina