CEV Volleyball Champions League: countdown to final four tournaments has started
Luxembourg, February 15, 2013 - After four months of world-class Volleyball, the 2013 CEV Volleyball Champions League is about to enter its last stage. Upon completion of the Playoffs 6, the teams that will compete in the final four tournaments are known and everything is set for two unforgettable Volleyball weekends in Istanbul and Omsk.
Sweden's Marcus Nilsson will be carrying the hopes of Lokomotiv Novosibirsk as the men's final four is being hosted by the club from Siberia's largest city |
The women will be fighting for glory this coming March 9-10 in Turkey’s megalopolis where the hosts of Galatasaray Daikin – a real rookie in the competition – will be trying to stop the run of Vakifbank in a much anticipated derby. The other semifinal will see the most cosmopolite side in action – Azerbaijan’s Rabita BAKU – play another debutant in Europe’s most elitist competition, Italy’s Unendo Yamamay BUSTO ARSIZIO, winner of the 2010 and 2012 CEV Volleyball Cup.
With Vakifbank having seized the day two years ago by edging Rabita in the final match, it looks like these teams may have a real shot at the trophy but still the two rookies who last year had played each other in the CEV Cup finals will be more than motivated to cause a major sensation at Burhan Felek Volleyball Hall.
Unendo Yamamay and Rabita will open the program of the semis at 2 pm (local time) with the much awaited clash starring Vakifbank and Galatasaray following at 5 pm. The bronze and gold medal matches will then follow on Sunday, March 10, once more at 2 and 5 pm.
The men’s final will take place a week later in Omsk, with hosts Lokomotiv NOVOSIBIRSK, similarly to Galatasaray, going for an all-Russian derby against the 2008 and 2012 winners of Zenit KAZAN. Though they did not have it easy at all in the Playoffs 12 while playing BERLIN Recycling Volleys of Germany, the Tatars left their mark on the Playoffs 6 with a couple of 3:0 wins over their compatriots of Dinamo MOSCOW and the group mentored by Vladimir Alekno – that includes quite a few Olympic champions from London 2012 – will be trying to claim back-to-back crowns there in Siberia.
The second semifinal match will see Italy’s Bre Banca Lannutti CUNEO celebrate – after many failed attempts – their first appearance in the final four and play Poland’s Zaksa KEDZIERZYN-KOZLE, a club that has made it to the last stage for the first time in 10 years. After a real drama in the Playoffs 6 where they could compensate for an away defeat by edging Lube Banca Marche MACERATA at the tie-break and claiming the golden set, the players marshaled by legendary setter Nikola Grbic will be trying to add to the showcase of their glorious club the only trophy that is still missing in that unique collection.
Zenit KAZAN and Lokomotiv NOVOSIBIRSK will open the actions by playing the first semi on Saturday, March 16, at 4:30 pm while CUNEO and Zaksa will then follow at 7:30 pm (local time). The starting times of the bronze and gold medal matches are also confirmed (5:30 and 8:30 pm respectively) for the first final four tournament taking place in Siberia, some 2,300 km from Moscow!
The winners of the 2013 CEV Volleyball Champions League will be representing Europe at the 2013 FIVB Club World Championships that are scheduled for May 12-19 (venue to be determined).
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win