Tunis, Egypt, Kuwait and Lebanon enter semis at Arab clubs Volleyball championship
Beirut, Lebanon, February 7, 2013 – Teams from Tunis, Egypt, Kuwait and Lebanon have booked their tickets to the semifinals of the 31st men’s Arab Clubs Volleyball championship at the Michel El Murr stadium in Lebanon.
The 31st Arab men’s Clubs Volleyball Championship will be held from February 3 to 11, 2013 in Beirut, Lebanon|
The Lebanese team Boushriye downed Ghaz El Janoub from Iraq in straight sets (25-21, 25-19, 25-23), earning the hosts a place in the semifinals while Ahly of Egypt beat Al Seeb of Oman 3-0 (25-17, 25-18, 25-14).
Sohom, the second Omani team in the championship also suffered a straight set defeat at the hands of Tunis’ Sfaksi in 25-18, 25-20, 25-17.
The most exciting match of the day was the one between Libya’s Ahly Tripoli and Kazima from Kuwait. Ahly came into the lead twice by taking the first and third set but Kazima rallied back to force the match into a tiebreaker, edging their rivals out of the competition, 28-30, 25-22, 21-25, 25-17, 15-11.
There are 15 teams from Tunis, Morocco, Libya, Kuwait, Egypt, Iraq, Oman and Lebanon participating in the 31st Arab men’s Clubs Volleyball Championship. The 15 teams were divided into four groups, and the top two in each group qualified for the quarter finals.
The opening ceremony was held on February 3, 2013 in Michel El Murr stadium in the presence of Lebanon’s Minister of Sports and Youth, Faycal Karame, the Lebanese Olympic Committee president and Lebanese Volleyball Federation president, Jean Hammam, and the FIVB Refereeing Commission president, Hassan Ahmad.
The following teams will meet in the semifinals:
Boishriye (Lebanon) vs. Ahly (Egypt)
Sfaksi (Tunis) vs. Kazima (Kuwait)
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games