CEV Volleyball Champions League: battle for final four spots remains wide open after completion of Playoffs 6 first round
Luxembourg, February 8, 2013 - Five out six matches scheduled for the first round of the much awaited Playoffs 6 resulted into home wins but the return games coming up next week are set to provide some more thrilling moments as the chase for a spot to join the final four of the 2013 CEV Volleyball Champions League is entering its “hottest” stage.
Italy's Unendo Yamamay Busto Arsizio could best Azerrail Baku in the first round of the Playoffs 6 to remain in contention for a spot in the final four of the women's Champions League |
Two derbies were supposed to highlight the men’s competition but eventually Zenit KAZAN and Lube Banca Marche MACERATA could cruise to a couple of speedy wins in straight sets to literally rout their compatriots of Dinamo MOSCOW and Bre Banca Lannutti CUNEO. However, the fate of these double fixtures is not yet determined as next week Dinamo and Bre Banca Lannutti will try to exploit the home advantage to re-open the series and call for the golden set.
As the countdown for the final four taking place in Omsk next March 16-17 got started, the hosts of Lokomotiv NOVOSIBIRSK will certainly play there – as per the regulations in force – the eventual winner of the Russian derby starring Zenit and Dinamo; the second semifinal will quite evidently be joined by an Italian side that will be trying to prolong the supremacy of this country in the competition and by the winner of the double clash opposing Zaksa KEDZIERZYN-KOZLE to Arkas Izmir.
This past Tuesday Zaksa could have the upper hand after a dramatic tie-break but the ambiance is set to be “hot” for the return game in Turkey as Arkas will be trying there to make it to the final four for the second consecutive season after finishing fourth last year in Lodz.
In the women’s competition, hosts Galatasaray Daikin ISTANBUL are waiting in the semis for the winner of yet another derby, whose first round was claimed on Thursday by Vakifbank. The club that wrote history for Turkey back in 2011 turning into the first side from this country able to seize the trophy of Europe’s most elitist competition was powered by Serbian opposite Jovana Brakocevic along the way to a 3:1 win over their compatriots of Eczacibasi VitrA but they will need to claim a second victory next week in order to make it to the finals.
The other emerging Volleyball “Mecca”, Azerbaijan, is being represented in the Playoffs 6 by two teams whose credentials for advancing to the final four are very solid. While the silver medalists from the 2012 FIVB Club World Championships of Rabita BAKU were able to prolong their winning streak in the competition to nine consecutive matches by edging Dinamo KAZAN on Thursday, Azerrail lost on Tuesday to Italy’s sensation Unendo Yamamay BUSTO ARSIZIO but will try to use the home advantage to turn the odds around in the return match.
So let’s stay tuned for another round of world-class matches to complete by next Thursday the draw of the final four tournaments taking place in Omsk and Istanbul that will round off an already memorable season!
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament