Kiwi men delight in New Zealand Open win
Bay of Plenty, New Zealand, February 4, 2013 – New Zealand men’s pair Brendon Heath and Sam O’Dea delighted their home fans with victory at the Marathon Visual Media NZ Beach Volleyball Open.
New Zealand's Brendon Heath and Sam O'Dea beat the USA's Tri Bourne and Will Montgomery in the NZ Open |
In the final they came up against the US team of Tri Bourne and Will Montgomery, who had won at the Hamilton competition a week previously and started strongly to win the first set.
With a vocal crow of 1,000 behind them though Heath and O’Dea fought back to win the second and they carried their momentum into the final set and built an early lead. The US pair fought back late on, but the Kiwis were solid in their defence and held on to win 2-1.
O'Dea has competed 11 times on the FIVB World Tour while Heath has made six appearances, the last being in 2011, however they have never competed internationally together.
Despite the defeat the US duo had done enough to win the overall New Zealand international tour title.
In the women’s final German pair Julia Sude and Chantal Laboureur held off the challenge of Australian Olympian Tamsin Hinchley and New Zealand’s Micah Lindsay-Brown. It means Sude and Laboureur were also crowned overall tour champions.
The German duo took control quickly in the first set and while the Trans-Tasman pair put Sude and Laboureur under pressure in the second, the Europeans finished with a 2-0 win. It meant Hinchley and Lindsay-Brown had to settle for a second consecutive silver medal a week after finishing second in Hamilton.
Julia Tilley and Shaunna Polley, and Melissa Ruru and Alice Bain, both New Zealand teams, shared the women’s bronze, while Ben and Edwin O’Dea shared the men’s bronze with the USA’s Mark Burik and Jeremy Casebeer.
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review