Kiwi men delight in New Zealand Open win
Bay of Plenty, New Zealand, February 4, 2013 – New Zealand men’s pair Brendon Heath and Sam O’Dea delighted their home fans with victory at the Marathon Visual Media NZ Beach Volleyball Open.
New Zealand's Brendon Heath and Sam O'Dea beat the USA's Tri Bourne and Will Montgomery in the NZ Open |
In the final they came up against the US team of Tri Bourne and Will Montgomery, who had won at the Hamilton competition a week previously and started strongly to win the first set.
With a vocal crow of 1,000 behind them though Heath and O’Dea fought back to win the second and they carried their momentum into the final set and built an early lead. The US pair fought back late on, but the Kiwis were solid in their defence and held on to win 2-1.
O'Dea has competed 11 times on the FIVB World Tour while Heath has made six appearances, the last being in 2011, however they have never competed internationally together.
Despite the defeat the US duo had done enough to win the overall New Zealand international tour title.
In the women’s final German pair Julia Sude and Chantal Laboureur held off the challenge of Australian Olympian Tamsin Hinchley and New Zealand’s Micah Lindsay-Brown. It means Sude and Laboureur were also crowned overall tour champions.
The German duo took control quickly in the first set and while the Trans-Tasman pair put Sude and Laboureur under pressure in the second, the Europeans finished with a 2-0 win. It meant Hinchley and Lindsay-Brown had to settle for a second consecutive silver medal a week after finishing second in Hamilton.
Julia Tilley and Shaunna Polley, and Melissa Ruru and Alice Bain, both New Zealand teams, shared the women’s bronze, while Ben and Edwin O’Dea shared the men’s bronze with the USA’s Mark Burik and Jeremy Casebeer.
- FIVB World Continental Cup Olympic Qualification tournament to take place in Russia
- World Tour Finals in Fort Lauderdale: Saving the best for last
- Eight teams earn men’s main draw spots at FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- The ABCs of Beach Volleyball - Agatha, Barbara and Consistency
- Challenges Create Court Confidence
- Brazilian women capture 19th gold in South American Championship
- Australia's Bawden and Clancy defend Asian title
- The Fan Zone - SWATCH Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 6
- FIVB World Tour 2016 starts in Mexico with FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals
- Brazilian Beach Clinic
- Brazil record 30th title win in Men's South American Championship
- Talita & Larissa net gold medal & “richest” prize
- Russian claim back-to-back European titles to cement status as Europe's Volleyball Queens
- Evandro & Pedro rebound for bronze medal finish
- Track stars become Beach Volleyball fans
- Brazilian world champions net SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals bronze medal
- FIVB President Graça launches '9 goals' strategic plan
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 5
- Fort Lauderdale - Another key part of the beach volleyball success story
- Russia and the Netherlands to clash for European crown
- Beach Volleyball Impressions - 1981 from southern California to now in south Florida
- USA win third consecutive NORCECA title
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 4
- Brazil, Germany and USA pairs net Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals bracket berths
- USA face Dominican Republic in NORCECA Women’s Championship final
- Women’s EuroVolley semis are set; Russia play Serbia, Oranjes take on Turkey
- Brazilian world champions featured Wednesday
- Beach Volleyball rivalry blasts sky high
- Lost in America
- Italy, Poland, Belgium and Germany complete line-up for women’s EuroVolley quarterfinals
- “Wild Card” Tuesday at SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- 2017 Beach Volleyball World Championships bidding process extended
- SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals - Revised Side Court Schedule
- A mum who sides out
- Congress preparations in full swing as President Graça visits FeVA
- Netherlands, Russia, Serbia and Turkey progress to women's EuroVolley quarterfinals
- $500,000 Swatch FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Finals
this week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
- Brazilian city of Maceio host South American tournament calendar highlight
- Puerto Rican Aury Cruz ties own scoring record
- Russia lead men’s U21 rankings
- Dominican Republic top women’s U20 rankings
- Japan host successful outreach programme
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update after FIVB Xiamen Open
- Eight teams vie for South American Championship crown
- First FIVB World Tour gold for Switzerland's Heidrich/Zumkehr at Xiamen Open
- Milestone Saturday for Lucena & Dalhausser
- Zumkehr/Heidrich upset top seeds Wang/Yue to enter Xiamen Open semifinal
- Milestone gold medal for USA’s Lucena/Dalhausser in Xiamen Open
- Brazilian men stay top of FIVB World Ranking