AVC volleyball competition calendar decided
Beijing, China, February 4, 2013 – The AVC Sports Event Council has finally determined the volleyball competition calendar for 2013. The council also put forward a series of important proposals to the AVC’s Board of Administration for approval.
The AVC Sports Events Council at their meeting in Beijing, China|
The women’s senior volleyball championship will be held in Nakhonpathom and Ratchaburi, Thailand from September 13 to 21 while the men’s will be held in Dubai, UAE from September 28 to October 6.
The women’s championship, which also doubles as the qualification tournament for the 2013 World Grand Champion Cup and 2014 World Grand Prix, will see a total of 17 teams, one more than the last edition that was held in Taipei. The participating teams for 2013 as follows: Australia, China, Hong Kong, Iran, Japan, Kazakhstan, Thailand, Chinese Taipei, Vietnam, Indonesia, Mongolia, New Zealand, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Korea, Myanmar and India.
The following 22 teams will participate in the men’s senior championship: Australia, China, Iran, Japan, Kazakhstan, Thailand, Chinese Taipei, Uzbekistan, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Korea, India, Lebanon, Qatar, UAE, Pakistan, Jordan, Bahrain, Myanmar, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and New Zealand.
A total of 14 teams will take part in the men’s club tournament, which will be held from April 21 to 29 in Tehran, Iran. The women’s club championship will be played among eight teams and will be held in Dac Lac of Vietnam from April 24 to May 3.
The 2013 season calendar also includes the AVC qualification tournament for the 2014 World Championship. The qualification process, run by the Asian Continental Confederations, will start in August 2013 and finish in May 2014. At the close of the registration process on January 31, 16 women’s teams and 28 men’s teams had signed up to compete in the qualification tournament.
Sub-zonal qualification tournaments will be held for the women with ten teams qualifying for the final round. The ten teams will be distributed into two pools with the top two teams of each pool securing their ticket to the 2014 World Championship in Italy.
The men’s teams will first compete in a sub-zonal round and 14 teams will qualify for the final round, with the teams being distributed into four pools. The top team from each pool will move ahead to the 2014 World Championship in Poland.
The Sports Events Council proposed that the teams from Australia, Iran, Japan and China take part in the 2013 U-23 World Championship and also recommended the establishment of the AVC Continental ranking starting from 2013 following a recommendation from the FIVB.
The purpose of the ranking is to provide a mathematical method of rating senior men’s and women’s volleyball teams throughout region, which would encourage AVC members to take part in matches with other ranked teams. It is hoped that the ranking will increase the interest in volleyball in the region, while stimulating the continental-wide promotion of the sport.
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Puerto Rico hosts NORCECA Final Qualifiers to Nanjing
- Germany’s mentor Vital Heynen shares goals and vision ahead of international season
- Rules of the Game Volleyball Case Book available for download
- Underdogs hope to pull off surprises in Asian Men's Club Championship
- One million dollars in prize money up for grabs at Transavia and Long Beach Grand Slams
- Palestine stages mini-volleyball festival in Bethlehem
- Venezuela and Paraguay take gold in third stage of Youth Olympic Games qualification
- Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Thailand claim two berths apiece for Nanjing Youth Olympics
- Celebrating the power of sport
- Volleyball will have a big role to play – President Graça