AVC volleyball competition calendar decided
Beijing, China, February 4, 2013 – The AVC Sports Event Council has finally determined the volleyball competition calendar for 2013. The council also put forward a series of important proposals to the AVC’s Board of Administration for approval.
The AVC Sports Events Council at their meeting in Beijing, China|
The women’s senior volleyball championship will be held in Nakhonpathom and Ratchaburi, Thailand from September 13 to 21 while the men’s will be held in Dubai, UAE from September 28 to October 6.
The women’s championship, which also doubles as the qualification tournament for the 2013 World Grand Champion Cup and 2014 World Grand Prix, will see a total of 17 teams, one more than the last edition that was held in Taipei. The participating teams for 2013 as follows: Australia, China, Hong Kong, Iran, Japan, Kazakhstan, Thailand, Chinese Taipei, Vietnam, Indonesia, Mongolia, New Zealand, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Korea, Myanmar and India.
The following 22 teams will participate in the men’s senior championship: Australia, China, Iran, Japan, Kazakhstan, Thailand, Chinese Taipei, Uzbekistan, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Korea, India, Lebanon, Qatar, UAE, Pakistan, Jordan, Bahrain, Myanmar, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and New Zealand.
A total of 14 teams will take part in the men’s club tournament, which will be held from April 21 to 29 in Tehran, Iran. The women’s club championship will be played among eight teams and will be held in Dac Lac of Vietnam from April 24 to May 3.
The 2013 season calendar also includes the AVC qualification tournament for the 2014 World Championship. The qualification process, run by the Asian Continental Confederations, will start in August 2013 and finish in May 2014. At the close of the registration process on January 31, 16 women’s teams and 28 men’s teams had signed up to compete in the qualification tournament.
Sub-zonal qualification tournaments will be held for the women with ten teams qualifying for the final round. The ten teams will be distributed into two pools with the top two teams of each pool securing their ticket to the 2014 World Championship in Italy.
The men’s teams will first compete in a sub-zonal round and 14 teams will qualify for the final round, with the teams being distributed into four pools. The top team from each pool will move ahead to the 2014 World Championship in Poland.
The Sports Events Council proposed that the teams from Australia, Iran, Japan and China take part in the 2013 U-23 World Championship and also recommended the establishment of the AVC Continental ranking starting from 2013 following a recommendation from the FIVB.
The purpose of the ranking is to provide a mathematical method of rating senior men’s and women’s volleyball teams throughout region, which would encourage AVC members to take part in matches with other ranked teams. It is hoped that the ranking will increase the interest in volleyball in the region, while stimulating the continental-wide promotion of the sport.
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review