Tianjin’s Bohai Bank wins Chinese Women's League title
Beijing, China, January 28, 2013 – Tianjin’s Bohai Bank, fifth-place finishers at the 2012 FIVB Club World Championships in Doha, beat Chinese defending Champions Guangdong Evergrande in their best-of-three final series to win the 2013 Women’s National League title on Saturday.
This is the ninth championship Bohai has clinched in the past 11 years|
Bohai trounced Evergrande 3-1 in the first away match, before rallying from behind twice to edge their rivals 3-2 (23-25, 25-17, 12-25, 25-22, 15-12) at home in the second match.
This is the ninth championship Bohai has clinched in the past 11 years. They lost the title last year after Evergrande dethroned them in the finals.
Chinese national team veteran spiker Chen Liyi from Tianjin topped the winners with 25 points, while middle blockers Zhang Xiaoting and Wang Jiamin added 16 and 11 tallies, respectively.
Guangdong Evergrande, coached by Lang Ping, fell short of claiming the title they last won in 2012. But eye-catching performances, such as the powerful smashes and blocks of foreign players Carolina Costagrande from Italy and Kasia Skowronska from Poland, deeply impressed the volleyball fans. They combined to collect a total of 58 points. Carolina Costagrande, 2011 World Cup MVP, spiked 31 points while Kasia Skowronska, a two-time European champion and the Best Female Polish Player in 2011, followed with 27 points.
Wang Baoquan, Tianjin’s coach, expressed his satisfaction with the result.
“I am very happy to recapture the championship after overcoming many difficulties and we are going to continue our efforts to maintain our good form,” he said. “The two foreign players of Evergrande are really world VIP level players with very strong attacking abilities. We cannot find such excellent spikers in China. Our players should learn from them.”
Evergrande coach Lang Ping, who led China and the US to Olympic silver medals as well as coaching in the Italian and Turkish leagues, said: “Tianjin is a strong team. My team was not able to match them in some key abilities, especially in receiving, and we were not as strong as our opponents.”
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games