Brazilian beach volleyball teams start work in Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, January 28, 2013 – There was sweat on the sand courts and in the gym of the Aryzão, the Brazilian Centre for Volleyball Development in Saquarema, as 13 players called by coach Leticia Pessoa began training to become the Brazilian men’s beach volleyball team for international competitions in 2013. Meanwhile, 12 women also started exercises under their coach, Marcos Miranda.
The new structure aims to provide all of Brazil's world-class players with a top-quality training regime|
The players, who worked in two groups in Aryzão, include Alison, Alvaro Filho, Bruno Schmidt, Daniel Souza, Daniel Lazzari, Emanuel, Evandro, Hevaldo, Pedro Cunha, Pedro Solberg, Ricardo, Thiago and Vitor Felipe. Brian, Edson Filipe and Leonardo Gomes are also part of the team.
Coach Leticia does not hide her enthusiasm for the new system for Brazilian beach volleyball. The three-time Olympic medallist predicts an even more triumphant future for her country on the beach.
“It is really satisfying to take up this job,” Leticia said. “The creation of the Brazilian beach national team is a big validation of our sport. For the first time, we have the best players practicing together in the best possible structure. Beach volleyball has a chance to grow with this project – especially the young players that do not have the practice at high levels that we have here. Our goal is to win two medals at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.”
The most experienced player on the team, 39-year-old Olympic champion Emanuel, also approves of the idea and says the team practices are good for the whole group.
“The creation of a national team was a necessity with the international scenario that we have today,” Emanuel affirms. “This idea will help the Brazilian beach volleyball regain and keep its hegemony. In my career I had the opportunity to be part of different practice regimes, and the possibility to train with a national team gives me a lot of motivation. It is also important that we always give our best to keep up the rhythm of the group.”
The women got their start in the practices this week as well. Last Tuesday, ten players worked out on the sand courts under coach Miranda’s guidance.
The practice sessions in the Aryzão involved Ângela, Bárbara Seixas, Carolina Solberg, Elize Maia, Lili, Maria Clara, Maria Elisa, Rebecca, Taiana and Talita, as well as Fernanda Berti and Mari Paraíba.
The sessions are the first to assemble the Brazilian women’s beach volleyball team created at the end of the 2012 season. The players representing Brazil in the season’s international competitions will be selected from among them. The original list can be modified, to include or exclude players during the year.
“The volleyball world scenario is suffering different changes in its rules and systems and this new format favours the creation of the National team,” Miranda said. “Now, beach volleyball is working as all the other team sports. The goal is to provide a better structure and quality of practice for the players.”
- Brazil remain on top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games