New Zealand holds age group championships at Mt. Maunganui
Auckland, New Zealand, January 25, 2013 – The beach at Mt. Maunganui played host to New Zealand’s national age group championships on, with a total of 86 teams taking part. Four competitions – the U23, U19, U17 and U15 championships – were held under a warm New Zealand summer sun.
The O'Dea brothers won the first National Tour event of 2013 - they will soon move on to Hamilton for the next competition|
The U23 category saw Holly Boyle and Beniece Douch take the women’s crown. Jana Furlan and Charlotte Venter were runners-up, followed by Beatrice and Anne-Marie Petty. The men’s title went to Jess Hawkins and Thomas Hartles, with Thomas Heijs and Manaia Harris second, and Jesse Kempf and Cameron Keetly third.
The U19 women’s competition was won by Alex Lawrence and Alice Bain, with Maro Venter and Bex Story second, and Julia Hartkey and Abbie Meredith third. On the men’s side, Brad Fullerton and Liam Matheson beat Thomas Reid and Daryl Lewis to first place while Mitch Hallett and Alani Nicklin took third.
Emma bain and Kiana Tawa were winners in the girls’ U17 division, ahead of Michaela Wooller and Alex Campbell-Smith, and Lydia Fookes and Jessie Meiklejohn. Cam Stewart and John Ward were the boys’ champions, over Perry Preston and Fletcher Swann, with Joel Ropitini and Takiwa Maxwell third.
Only first place was awarded in the girls’ U15 division, to Erin Rush and Brianna Roberts, while on the boys’ side Ashton Howard and Matt Howe-Smith, Jack Gallivan and Liam Fannin, and Keegan Joe and Jonah Naborisi were first, second and third.
The age group competitions were held alongside the first of three National Tour events, which drew international participation from Germany, USA, Fiji and Australia. Sam and Ben O’Dea were named 2013 North Harbour Open champions.
- Bidding process for 2017 World League Finals launched
- Ricardo and Andre win Brazil Tour opener
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- “It’s been a long season”
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”
- As the Mikasa Turns - Bansley & Pavan "split" conversation
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- TALKIN’ STATS: Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Preview
- Toronto's Tuesday Trial - Pavan’s pristine picture?
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016