Juliana and Maria Elisa start their new partnership with a victory
Fortaleza, Brazil, January 22, 2013 - Playing together for the first time, Juliana Felisberta da Silva/ Maria Elisa Antonelli have heightened expectations for their new partnership after winning the gold medal at the seventh stage of the Brazilian Beach Volleyball Tour in Ceara. The duo beat Angela and Neide in straight sets (21-19, 21-13) in the final to take the top spot on the podium.
Juliana and Maria Elisa, rivals in the last Olympic cycle, showed their mettle after only ten days of training. |
“The beginning of this year has been different. It is a new start. We have not been training together for long, but the energy we share is really good. We always got along outside court and that helps now we are together. The lack of time playing together will be the main obstacle in the beginning and it is important that we give our best on court for these last four tournaments of the Brazilian Tour,” said Maria Elisa prior to the tournament.
Her team-mate Juliana was pleased with the result. "We played very united, with one always helping the other. That was our great strength this tournament. It is really good to start a new journey with a win, but we know we still have a lot to work on to improve the team. I want to play and be happy with Maria, without a comparison with the previous partnership. Every time I play here in Fortaleza, I do my best to return the affection and care the people from Ceara give me, who welcomed me so well,” said Juliana.
In the contest for third place, Rebecca/Lili defeated Agatha and Barbara Seixas 2-0 (23-21, 21-19). "We could not play well in the semifinal, but we came back strong for the race for third place. It's our seventh tournament together and I'm glad to crown our work with a place on the podium. We want to maintain this level and this pattern of results to the end of the season," said Lili.
The eighth stage of the Circuito Banco do Brazil 2012/2013 will be played in João Pessoa, the only city in the country to be on the competition’s calendar in all its seasons, from February 22 to 24.
- Agatha and Barbara top rankings after Netherlands heroics
- Brazil dominates podium in The Hague
- FIVB World Tour resumes in Switzerland at Swatch FIVB Gstaad Major
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update following
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships the Netherlands 2015
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday
- Amiable Apeldoorn absolutely awesome area for elimination rounds