Trentino bow out early from CEV Champions League
Trento, Italy, January 23, 2013 – In the battle for a place in the Playoffs 6 of the 2013 CEV Volleyball Champions League, four-time club world champions Trentino Diatec split a two-game series with Dinamo Moscow and then lost the crucial golden set. It will be the Muscovites who go through to the next round, where they will play there their compatriots of Zenit Kazan.
Osmany Juantorena was 2012 Club World Championship MVP; he was once again selected as the player of the match on Wednesday, but it wasn't enough to prevent the upset|
The CEV Champions League has traditionally been used as the European qualifier for the FIVB Club World Championships.
More than 3,000 supporters turned out on Wednesday evening at PalaTrento for the second half of the home-and-home series. Having already dropped the first contest 2-3 in Moscow, the club world champions captained by Matey Kaziyski took charge at first with a speedy and comfortable 3-0 (25-17, 25-18, and 25-12) victory – their nine blocks and six aces setting them apart from the opposition. The home heroes were continuously cheered by their fans as they appeared to get back on track.
But in the golden set that followed, Dinamo kept their energy up and managed a 15-12 win, pocketing their much-desired ticket to the next round.
Cuban-born wing spiker Osmany Juantorena was named MVP of the match after he registered 16 points and attacked with 76 per cent efficiency, but this could not compensate for the major disappointment of missing out on the next stage of the competition. On the other side of the net Pavel Kruglov top-scored with 18 points, and anchored his team in the golden set.
“We knew that the golden set was very risky, and finally our concerns turned into reality,” said Trentino’s Radostin Stoytchev. “The golden set is simply a matter of luck but I have to say that this good luck needs to be somehow generated; it does not come by waiting for the mistakes of your opponents. Dinamo Moscow deserved the victory as they were better than us and played more intelligently. We have to accept that and keep going for the remainder of the season.”
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update following
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships the Netherlands 2015
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday
- Amiable Apeldoorn absolutely awesome area for elimination rounds
- Paraguay's Michelle/Filippo incredible experience in Apeldoorn
- Juliana and Larissa set up Amsterdam showdown
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world