CAVB Coaches Commission meets in Cairo to flesh out 2013 plans
Cairo, Egypt, January 18, 2013- The African Volleyball Confederation’s Coaches Commission started its meeting in Cairo, Egypt on Friday.
CAVB nations need to increase the number and skills of coaches if they are to tap into their young players' full potential|
The commission’s main focus was on discussing ideas to improve coaching performance throughout the continent. It also touched on other important issues, including the High Performance Seminar that will hold its third edition this year after two successful outcomes in Egypt 2011 and Morocco 2012. The seminar brings the highest level coaches in Africa – especially those conducting their national teams at world competitions – together to exchange ideas and best practices. Rwanda is the leading candidate to organise this year's edition, with Egypt as a substitute.
The commission proposed organising four courses for grassroots development, two of them in English and the others in French. Uganda, Tanzania, Nigeria and Ghana are candidates for the English courses, while Senegal and Algeria are ready for the French ones.
Egypt’s Sherif El Shemerly, who is also an FIVB Instructor, presided over the gathering and presented a proposal for a Coaching Aid Programme that would call for the nomination of two groups of experienced coaches to work for men’s and women’s teams across the continent.
CAVB’s Executive Director, Howyda Mondy, proposed that the confederation should centrally organise two or three courses for beach volleyball coaches in different continental regions. These would help national federations address an important need following the massive growth this kind of volleyball has been going through over the last few years.
Besides Elshemerly and Mondy, the meeting was attended by Blaise Mayam (Cameroon), Oghuma-Eghiemai Tony (Nigeria), Mostafa Ahchouche (Morocco), Bernard Denise (Seychelles), Adam Kpenoukoundehou (Benin) and CAVB Beach Director May Alaa.
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro wins battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcomes Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers