CAVB Coaches Commission meets in Cairo to flesh out 2013 plans
Cairo, Egypt, January 18, 2013- The African Volleyball Confederation’s Coaches Commission started its meeting in Cairo, Egypt on Friday.
CAVB nations need to increase the number and skills of coaches if they are to tap into their young players' full potential|
The commission’s main focus was on discussing ideas to improve coaching performance throughout the continent. It also touched on other important issues, including the High Performance Seminar that will hold its third edition this year after two successful outcomes in Egypt 2011 and Morocco 2012. The seminar brings the highest level coaches in Africa – especially those conducting their national teams at world competitions – together to exchange ideas and best practices. Rwanda is the leading candidate to organise this year's edition, with Egypt as a substitute.
The commission proposed organising four courses for grassroots development, two of them in English and the others in French. Uganda, Tanzania, Nigeria and Ghana are candidates for the English courses, while Senegal and Algeria are ready for the French ones.
Egypt’s Sherif El Shemerly, who is also an FIVB Instructor, presided over the gathering and presented a proposal for a Coaching Aid Programme that would call for the nomination of two groups of experienced coaches to work for men’s and women’s teams across the continent.
CAVB’s Executive Director, Howyda Mondy, proposed that the confederation should centrally organise two or three courses for beach volleyball coaches in different continental regions. These would help national federations address an important need following the massive growth this kind of volleyball has been going through over the last few years.
Besides Elshemerly and Mondy, the meeting was attended by Blaise Mayam (Cameroon), Oghuma-Eghiemai Tony (Nigeria), Mostafa Ahchouche (Morocco), Bernard Denise (Seychelles), Adam Kpenoukoundehou (Benin) and CAVB Beach Director May Alaa.
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - LIVE
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 14 events
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- First round concludes with thrilling matches across Italy
- Ma-Xia win beach volleyball gold at Asian Games
- First FIVB World Tour medal bittersweet for Italy's Menegatti/Orsi Toth
- Call brings old Brazilian friends back together on the beach
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Brazil holds off Italy to win women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Netherlands stops Brazil for men’s gold medal at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China’s Ma-Xia to face Thailand’s Udomchavee-Radarong in the final of Asian Games beach volleyball tournament
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Varenhorst calls in the Experience to FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Beach growing in the land of Volleyball
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- Brazil, Netherlands to tangle for men’s gold Sunday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- Brazil to meet Italy for women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Last-minute invite leads Popp to fifth place at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Four China teams make Asian Games beach volleyball semis
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Men’s final four set for Saturday’s semifinals at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Women’s final four set for Saturday’s semis at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Slow end doesn't dull Czech Republic's Slukova/Kolocova breakthrough year
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Twenty-four men’s duos advance from pool play Thursday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Canada's Binstock/Schachter earn memorable triple in São Paulo
- Women’s field reduced to 24 teams at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Were you at the final?
- Austria's Schwaiger on road to Rio with new teammate
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Ten unbeaten women’s teams Wednesday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Five huge surprises in men’s pool play FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam Wednesday
- Eight undefeated teams stand in good position to advance to second round after Day 2
- No second day shocks for tournament favourites
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 2 - As It Happened
- Young Brazilians pull of major upset at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam