CAVB Coaches Commission meets in Cairo to flesh out 2013 plans
Cairo, Egypt, January 18, 2013- The African Volleyball Confederation’s Coaches Commission started its meeting in Cairo, Egypt on Friday.
CAVB nations need to increase the number and skills of coaches if they are to tap into their young players' full potential|
The commission’s main focus was on discussing ideas to improve coaching performance throughout the continent. It also touched on other important issues, including the High Performance Seminar that will hold its third edition this year after two successful outcomes in Egypt 2011 and Morocco 2012. The seminar brings the highest level coaches in Africa – especially those conducting their national teams at world competitions – together to exchange ideas and best practices. Rwanda is the leading candidate to organise this year's edition, with Egypt as a substitute.
The commission proposed organising four courses for grassroots development, two of them in English and the others in French. Uganda, Tanzania, Nigeria and Ghana are candidates for the English courses, while Senegal and Algeria are ready for the French ones.
Egypt’s Sherif El Shemerly, who is also an FIVB Instructor, presided over the gathering and presented a proposal for a Coaching Aid Programme that would call for the nomination of two groups of experienced coaches to work for men’s and women’s teams across the continent.
CAVB’s Executive Director, Howyda Mondy, proposed that the confederation should centrally organise two or three courses for beach volleyball coaches in different continental regions. These would help national federations address an important need following the massive growth this kind of volleyball has been going through over the last few years.
Besides Elshemerly and Mondy, the meeting was attended by Blaise Mayam (Cameroon), Oghuma-Eghiemai Tony (Nigeria), Mostafa Ahchouche (Morocco), Bernard Denise (Seychelles), Adam Kpenoukoundehou (Benin) and CAVB Beach Director May Alaa.
- Watch: Highlights of 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Draw
- Legendary coach Karpol visits FIVB
- Germany ready to battle for ticket to 2014 World Champs
- And the countdown begins to the Durban Open
- Ghana, Nigeria in final phase of Women's World Championship qualification
- Record 28 teams for 2014 World Grand Prix
- Celebrating Czech Republic's 'Mini volleyball in colours'
- Mini volleyball fever takes hold of Palestine
- World League expands to 28 countries
- VIS seminar concludes in Trinidad and Tobago
- Rwanda, Kenya join Egypt to World Champs final qualification phase
- World Tour Council meets in Lausanne
- Egypt claim gold at World Champs zone 5 qualifier
- Talita and Lima confirmed as women’s rankings champs
- Alison and Emanuel announce split
- 5 teams share immaculate record after CEV Champions League third round comes to a close
- Egypt continue with another win as Rwanda edge Kenya in World Champs qualifier
- Jamaicans Hutchinson, Bryan book China ticket in style
- Trinidadian girls Ward, Davidson seal Youth Olympic spot
- Fruitful meeting for Beach Volleyball Commission
- Yet another successful year for Brazil's VivaVolei festival
- Beach Volleyball tour starts in Sierra Leone
- Impressive 56-54 set score at Korean V-League match
- Jamaica, Barbados surprise top teams for China chance
- Watch: The best of 2013 FIVB World Tour now online
- Egypt lead with second victory as Uganda register first win in World Champs qualifier
- Russian dominance ends as Brazil back at number one
- Level II coaches course gets underway in Mauritius
- One step forward for beach volleyball in Indonesia
- Egypt struggle past Kenya as Rwanda ease past Burundi in World Champs qualifier
- FIVB flourishes on Chinese social media
- Zorzi evaluates World Grand Champions Cup performances
- Volleyball workshop boosts sport in Palestine
- Media accreditation reminder for Durban Open
- Trinidad & Tobago host successful setter seminar
- Brazil win fourth World Grand Champions Cup title, Russia and Italy settle for silver and bronze
- Brazil, Russia, Italy all have a shot at Grand Champions Cup gold before last round
- With third straight victory Brazil cement their leadership at Men’s Grand Champions Cup
- Fans flock to FIVB's YouTube following historic Thailand win
- Coaches look forward to another three days of world-class volleyball
- Natalie Cook: "I'm looking forward to 2014 and beyond"
- Andrea Zorzi: 'Size and height aren’t Japan’s only problem'
- Afghanistan gives beach volleyball a jump-start
- Brazil only team with two victories as Grand Champions Cup moves to Tokyo
- Team Japan’s improvement will take time says former volleyball star Motoko Obayashi
- Iran captain says mentality has changed dramatically under Velasco’s leadership
- Andrea Zorzi reviews World Grand Champions Cup opening day
- FIVB and Rio 2016 collaborate to ensure spectacular Olympic Games
- Italy, Brazil, USA all start Men’s Grand Champions Cup on a high note
- Japan coach Manabe draws the line after winning World Grand Champions Cup bronze