Tokyo 2020 Olympic volleyball and beach volleyball plans
Lausanne, Switzerland, January 17, 2013 – A delegation from the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Bid visited FIVB headquarters in Lausanne on Thursday to present their proposals for volleyball and beach volleyball venues should their city win the competition to host the 2020 Games.
FIVB 1st Executive Vice-President Cristóbal Marte Hoffiz, Tokyo 2020 Sports Director Arakida Yuko, FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° and Japanese Olympic Committee Director Nakamori Yasuhiro met in Lausanne to discuss Tokyo's Olympic bid|
The delegation included Japanese volleyball legend Arakida Yuko, who was part of the team that won gold at the 1976 Montreal Olympics and managed the Japanese women’s volleyball team from 2005-2007 and 2009-2012, is now sports director for Tokyo 2020. She was joined in Lausanne by Sakata Hiroshi and Nakamori Yasuhiro.
The proposed venues for volleyball and beach volleyball would both bring athletes and fans to Tokyo Bay’s waterfront. The 15,000-seat Ariake Arena, towards the eastern side of the bay, would be home to the volleyball competition while the 12,000-seat Shiokaze Park, further west, would host the beach volleyball matches.
The Tokyo bid is promoting the city’s ideal environment for athletes, with world-renown safety, cleanliness and abundance of greenery, as well as its exceptional accommodations, infrastructure and transport.
- The Duke holds court at volleyball training session
- Watch: Highlights of 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Draw
- Legendary coach Karpol visits FIVB
- Germany ready to battle for ticket to 2014 World Champs
- And the countdown begins to the Durban Open
- Ghana, Nigeria in final phase of Women's World Championship qualification
- Record 28 teams for 2014 World Grand Prix
- Celebrating Czech Republic's 'Mini volleyball in colours'
- Mini volleyball fever takes hold of Palestine
- World League expands to 28 countries
- VIS seminar concludes in Trinidad and Tobago
- Rwanda, Kenya join Egypt to World Champs final qualification phase
- World Tour Council meets in Lausanne
- Egypt claim gold at World Champs zone 5 qualifier
- Talita and Lima confirmed as women’s rankings champs
- Alison and Emanuel announce split
- 5 teams share immaculate record after CEV Champions League third round comes to a close
- Egypt continue with another win as Rwanda edge Kenya in World Champs qualifier
- Jamaicans Hutchinson, Bryan book China ticket in style
- Trinidadian girls Ward, Davidson seal Youth Olympic spot
- Fruitful meeting for Beach Volleyball Commission
- Yet another successful year for Brazil's VivaVolei festival
- Beach Volleyball tour starts in Sierra Leone
- Impressive 56-54 set score at Korean V-League match
- Jamaica, Barbados surprise top teams for China chance
- Watch: The best of 2013 FIVB World Tour now online
- Egypt lead with second victory as Uganda register first win in World Champs qualifier
- Russian dominance ends as Brazil back at number one
- Level II coaches course gets underway in Mauritius
- One step forward for beach volleyball in Indonesia
- Egypt struggle past Kenya as Rwanda ease past Burundi in World Champs qualifier
- FIVB flourishes on Chinese social media
- Zorzi evaluates World Grand Champions Cup performances
- Volleyball workshop boosts sport in Palestine
- Media accreditation reminder for Durban Open
- Trinidad & Tobago host successful setter seminar
- Brazil win fourth World Grand Champions Cup title, Russia and Italy settle for silver and bronze
- Brazil, Russia, Italy all have a shot at Grand Champions Cup gold before last round
- With third straight victory Brazil cement their leadership at Men’s Grand Champions Cup
- Fans flock to FIVB's YouTube following historic Thailand win
- Coaches look forward to another three days of world-class volleyball
- Natalie Cook: "I'm looking forward to 2014 and beyond"
- Andrea Zorzi: 'Size and height aren’t Japan’s only problem'
- Afghanistan gives beach volleyball a jump-start
- Brazil only team with two victories as Grand Champions Cup moves to Tokyo
- Team Japan’s improvement will take time says former volleyball star Motoko Obayashi
- Iran captain says mentality has changed dramatically under Velasco’s leadership
- Andrea Zorzi reviews World Grand Champions Cup opening day
- FIVB and Rio 2016 collaborate to ensure spectacular Olympic Games
- Italy, Brazil, USA all start Men’s Grand Champions Cup on a high note