New Lesotho development programme supports youth
Maseru, Lesotho, January 16, 2013 – Lesotho’s youth teams will be able to access training and resources under a new programme launched at the start of the year. It will provide stable funding through 2014, including a $36,000 commitment over two years from the FIVB.
The programme is aimed at identifying talented youths from across the country, who will be able to start graduating to the National Teams by 2016|
The Lesotho Volleyball Association launched their Talent Identification and Development Programme on January 4 with an event at the Lesotho Sport and Recreation Commission.
The President of the LVA, William Nhlapu, explained the scope of the project to the gathering: “This is going to cover the whole country – we will be searching for talent in all 10 districts for children aged between 8 and 14 years. Our expectation is that by 2016 all the children who will be identified will be in the National Teams, and they will be able to compete in local, regional and international competitions.”
The occasion was attended by relevant stakeholders, including members of the Lesotho Sport and Recreation Commission, representatives from the Ministry of Gender and Youth, the Ministry of Sports and Recreation, the Lesotho Primary Sports Association, Lesotho Institute Sports Association, The LVA Development Committee and the Lesotho Volleyball Association Executive Committee.
Nhalpu thanked the FIVB for its support, as well as all those who made it possible for the association to secure grants.
The vice-president of the Lesotho Sport and Recreation Commission and the representative of the minister said volleyball is one of the team sports doing very well in the country, and congratulated the committee on the quality of their administration and good governance – they are transparent, accountable and responsible when it comes to reporting, especially when it comes to finances.
The occasion was covered by a number of newspapers and was broadcast live on Lesotho Television.
- The Duke holds court at volleyball training session
- Watch: Highlights of 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Draw
- Legendary coach Karpol visits FIVB
- Germany ready to battle for ticket to 2014 World Champs
- And the countdown begins to the Durban Open
- Ghana, Nigeria in final phase of Women's World Championship qualification
- Record 28 teams for 2014 World Grand Prix
- Celebrating Czech Republic's 'Mini volleyball in colours'
- Mini volleyball fever takes hold of Palestine
- World League expands to 28 countries
- VIS seminar concludes in Trinidad and Tobago
- Rwanda, Kenya join Egypt to World Champs final qualification phase
- World Tour Council meets in Lausanne
- Egypt claim gold at World Champs zone 5 qualifier
- Talita and Lima confirmed as women’s rankings champs
- Alison and Emanuel announce split
- 5 teams share immaculate record after CEV Champions League third round comes to a close
- Egypt continue with another win as Rwanda edge Kenya in World Champs qualifier
- Jamaicans Hutchinson, Bryan book China ticket in style
- Trinidadian girls Ward, Davidson seal Youth Olympic spot
- Fruitful meeting for Beach Volleyball Commission
- Yet another successful year for Brazil's VivaVolei festival
- Beach Volleyball tour starts in Sierra Leone
- Impressive 56-54 set score at Korean V-League match
- Jamaica, Barbados surprise top teams for China chance
- Watch: The best of 2013 FIVB World Tour now online
- Egypt lead with second victory as Uganda register first win in World Champs qualifier
- Russian dominance ends as Brazil back at number one
- Level II coaches course gets underway in Mauritius
- One step forward for beach volleyball in Indonesia
- Egypt struggle past Kenya as Rwanda ease past Burundi in World Champs qualifier
- FIVB flourishes on Chinese social media
- Zorzi evaluates World Grand Champions Cup performances
- Volleyball workshop boosts sport in Palestine
- Media accreditation reminder for Durban Open
- Trinidad & Tobago host successful setter seminar
- Brazil win fourth World Grand Champions Cup title, Russia and Italy settle for silver and bronze
- Brazil, Russia, Italy all have a shot at Grand Champions Cup gold before last round
- With third straight victory Brazil cement their leadership at Men’s Grand Champions Cup
- Fans flock to FIVB's YouTube following historic Thailand win
- Coaches look forward to another three days of world-class volleyball
- Natalie Cook: "I'm looking forward to 2014 and beyond"
- Andrea Zorzi: 'Size and height aren’t Japan’s only problem'
- Afghanistan gives beach volleyball a jump-start
- Brazil only team with two victories as Grand Champions Cup moves to Tokyo
- Team Japan’s improvement will take time says former volleyball star Motoko Obayashi
- Iran captain says mentality has changed dramatically under Velasco’s leadership
- Andrea Zorzi reviews World Grand Champions Cup opening day
- FIVB and Rio 2016 collaborate to ensure spectacular Olympic Games
- Italy, Brazil, USA all start Men’s Grand Champions Cup on a high note