Rwanda Beach Volleyball Tournament for AIDS awareness
Karongi, Rwanda, January 16, 2013 – The Karongi Beach Volleyball Friends Forum organised a successful beach volleyball tournament to raise awareness of the dangerous disease of AIDS at the end of December, 2012.
Hard attack by Yvan Dukundane, and Flavier Ndamukunda ready to block in the final match|
The competition featured 14 men’s and 8 women’s teams including the pairing of Jean Luc Mbonyuwontuma and Flavier Ndamukunda, who won the men’s title, and Denise Mutatsimpundu and Charlotte Nzayisenga, who clinched the women’s gold.
The matches were played on two courts on the Golf Beach, in the Western province of Rwanda. Two international teams from Burundi came to compete, and the tournament drew the participation of both the women’s and men’s African beach volleyball junior champion teams from 2012.
Thrills and joy surrounded the fantastic men's final, where two teams from the same pool in the preliminaries played again for the gold. Mbonyuwontuma and Ndamukunda defeated Yvan Dukundane and Brian Mugabowingabo 2-0 (21-17, 21-14).
“That was our time to prove that we beat them in preliminaries on merit and we did it; it was more difficult because they had seen our tactics and made a plan, but finally we won,” said Ndamukunda, the captain of the Rwandan team. “We are very happy for that victory because it is an international victory. I think it was a good match for both sides, and for the spectators.”
“We have done our best to win but it didn’t work,” said Mugabowingabo. “We will not give up, though, and I think it is good for us because we played well. Our vision is to play on the international level and represent our lovely country, Burundi. We face them at home next year, and I think we will do the same as they did to us here – normally our tactics are based on service and the wind, but here there was no wind so we could not be successful.”
On the women's side, the final match pitted Mutatsimpundu and Ndayisenga, the African junior champions in 2012, against Yvette Igihozo and Angelique Uwimbabazi. The former team won 2-0 (21-16, 21-13).
“We played well in the match and we defended our African title,” said Nzayisenga. “It was a good and fair match; our target was to win the tournament and we did it.”
“We lost the game but it was a good game for us, we didn’t train much because we’re in the final year exams at school but we are happy for that results,” said Uwimbabazi after losing the final match against Mutatsimpundu and Ndayisenga.
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win