Rwanda Beach Volleyball Tournament for AIDS awareness
Karongi, Rwanda, January 16, 2013 – The Karongi Beach Volleyball Friends Forum organised a successful beach volleyball tournament to raise awareness of the dangerous disease of AIDS at the end of December, 2012.
Hard attack by Yvan Dukundane, and Flavier Ndamukunda ready to block in the final match|
The competition featured 14 men’s and 8 women’s teams including the pairing of Jean Luc Mbonyuwontuma and Flavier Ndamukunda, who won the men’s title, and Denise Mutatsimpundu and Charlotte Nzayisenga, who clinched the women’s gold.
The matches were played on two courts on the Golf Beach, in the Western province of Rwanda. Two international teams from Burundi came to compete, and the tournament drew the participation of both the women’s and men’s African beach volleyball junior champion teams from 2012.
Thrills and joy surrounded the fantastic men's final, where two teams from the same pool in the preliminaries played again for the gold. Mbonyuwontuma and Ndamukunda defeated Yvan Dukundane and Brian Mugabowingabo 2-0 (21-17, 21-14).
“That was our time to prove that we beat them in preliminaries on merit and we did it; it was more difficult because they had seen our tactics and made a plan, but finally we won,” said Ndamukunda, the captain of the Rwandan team. “We are very happy for that victory because it is an international victory. I think it was a good match for both sides, and for the spectators.”
“We have done our best to win but it didn’t work,” said Mugabowingabo. “We will not give up, though, and I think it is good for us because we played well. Our vision is to play on the international level and represent our lovely country, Burundi. We face them at home next year, and I think we will do the same as they did to us here – normally our tactics are based on service and the wind, but here there was no wind so we could not be successful.”
On the women's side, the final match pitted Mutatsimpundu and Ndayisenga, the African junior champions in 2012, against Yvette Igihozo and Angelique Uwimbabazi. The former team won 2-0 (21-16, 21-13).
“We played well in the match and we defended our African title,” said Nzayisenga. “It was a good and fair match; our target was to win the tournament and we did it.”
“We lost the game but it was a good game for us, we didn’t train much because we’re in the final year exams at school but we are happy for that results,” said Uwimbabazi after losing the final match against Mutatsimpundu and Ndayisenga.
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday
- Amiable Apeldoorn absolutely awesome area for elimination rounds
- Paraguay's Michelle/Filippo incredible experience in Apeldoorn
- Juliana and Larissa set up Amsterdam showdown
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Three Dutch men’s teams advance to elimination rounds
- Artacho and Laird out to cause an upset in Amsterdam
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 5
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 5 - Day 5 As It Happened
- World champs has huge social media impact
- Dutch & Germans Net The Hague Pool Titles