Women’s 2012 Olympic technical evaluations now available
Lausanne, Switzerland, January 11, 2013 – The FIVB Technical and Development department has announced the completion, by the FIVB’s Technical Evaluations Team, of the technical evaluations from the Women’s London Olympic Games. The Men’s evaluations will follow shortly. These tools, which are freely available for use here on the Technical/Coach page of fivb.org, highlight the latest trends and techniques of the world’s best players and teams.
The evaluation explores a wide range of topics important for coaches, such as the roles of height and experience for different player positions|
The educational kit includes video clips from the semifinal and final matches at the London Olympics, selected to help coaches and players learn the skills and drills of the world’s best teams. The videos each highlight specific lessons and can be streamed online or downloaded, played at full speed or in slow motion. For the first time, the selection of videos includes recordings of the teams’ pre-match warmups.
The depth of detail and data contained in these evaluations gives coaches and players unique insight into how different teams succeed at volleyball, right down to their players’ physical characteristics and how that relates to the tactics they use.
The London 2012 technical evaluations have a slightly different focus than previous editions. More attention is now devoted to group and team tactics, rather than individual techniques. The material is divided into five overall sections: Personal Data, comparing the team compositions of the four finalist squads; Complex I (First Ball Side Out); Complex II (Transition); Team Characteristics, comparing each squad’s tactical approach; and a link to each team’s Lineups.
Coaches, teachers and players are encouraged to explore the materials and download them for use in training. The FIVB Technical and Development department has committed to helping grassroots development by giving anyone with the desire to learn access to high-quality, professional coaching aids, free of charge. All video demonstrations are made available in high- and low-quality versions to account for different internet connection speeds.
"These evaluations are the result of the efforts of the FIVB Technical Evaluation Team, which has poured countless hours into this project over the past few months," said FIVB Technical and Development director Helgi Thorsteinsson. "This project would be impossible without that team, led by Berthold Fröhner, who has provided valuable expertise to the FIVB for the past three decades."
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - As It Happened
- Introducing Round 2: Russia, USA, Turkey and Bulgaria seek a pass to the Final Six
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 14 events
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- First round concludes with thrilling matches across Italy
- Ma-Xia win beach volleyball gold at Asian Games
- First FIVB World Tour medal bittersweet for Italy's Menegatti/Orsi Toth
- Call brings old Brazilian friends back together on the beach
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Brazil holds off Italy to win women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Netherlands stops Brazil for men’s gold medal at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China’s Ma-Xia to face Thailand’s Udomchavee-Radarong in the final of Asian Games beach volleyball tournament
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Varenhorst calls in the Experience to FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Beach growing in the land of Volleyball
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- Brazil, Netherlands to tangle for men’s gold Sunday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- Brazil to meet Italy for women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Last-minute invite leads Popp to fifth place at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Four China teams make Asian Games beach volleyball semis
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Men’s final four set for Saturday’s semifinals at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Women’s final four set for Saturday’s semis at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Slow end doesn't dull Czech Republic's Slukova/Kolocova breakthrough year
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Twenty-four men’s duos advance from pool play Thursday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Canada's Binstock/Schachter earn memorable triple in São Paulo
- Women’s field reduced to 24 teams at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Were you at the final?
- Austria's Schwaiger on road to Rio with new teammate
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Ten unbeaten women’s teams Wednesday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Five huge surprises in men’s pool play FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam Wednesday
- Eight undefeated teams stand in good position to advance to second round after Day 2
- No second day shocks for tournament favourites
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 2 - As It Happened