Club World Champ bronze medallists knocked out of Polish Cup
Warsaw, Poland, January 11, 2013 - Despite being three-time medallists at the FIVB Club World Championships, PGE Skra Belchatow were knocked out of the Polish Cup in the quarterfinal round and will not compete for a medal.
PGE Skra Belchatow beat Zenit Kazan to win bronze in the 2012 FIVB Club World Championships|
Skra Belchatow will now immediately start its preparations for the Playoff 12 clash with Turkey’s Arkas Izmir in the 2013 CEV Volleyball Champions League, scheduled for January 16 in Izmir. If they succeed, they can advance to the Playoff 6, then the Final Four scheduled for March 15 to 18.
Skra Belchatow will still have the opportunity to fight for a place in the 2013 FIVB Club World Championships, scheduled for May 12 to 19, if they are successful in the Champions League. Last year they finished second in that tournament and earned a wildcard entry into the 2012 FIVB Club World Championships, winning bronze.
Skra Belchatow also took silver in the 2009 and 2010 editions of the competition. They did not make it into the 2011 edition, when they were beaten to the post by KS Jastrzebski Wegiel, who went on to take silver that year.
It was that same Jastrzebski Wegiel club that again ended Skra Belchatow’s hopes in this year’s Polish Cup, handing them a 3-0 (25-23, 32-30, 25-18) defeat and moving on to the semifinals alongside Delecta Bydgoszcz, Asseco Resovia Rzeszow and Zaksa Kedzierzyn-Kozle.
This is only the second time in 10 years that Skra Belchatow has missed out on a spot for the final four of the Polish Cup, a trophy the club has claimed a total of six times, including the last one.
“We are very disappointed,” said Skra Belchatow President Konrad Piechocki. “We were sidelined by injuries – Michal Winiarski, Daniel Plinski and Aleksandar Atanasijevic could not play in the first leg, in the second we missed Wlazly, who is ill. But we still should have performed better.”
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- “It’s been a long season”
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”
- As the Mikasa Turns - Bansley & Pavan "split" conversation
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- TALKIN’ STATS: Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Preview
- Toronto's Tuesday Trial - Pavan’s pristine picture?
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016
- Pools and schedule outlined for Men's Club World Champs
- Trentino, UPCN and Bolivar join top teams at Men’s Club World Champs
- Lupo and Nicolai staying grounded despite Rio silver
- Schedule set as World Tour Finals countdown enters final week
- A month after opening, Brazil still bask in Rio 2016 gold glory
- Relive Egypt's Olympic beach volleyball debut
- One month after first serve, memories of Rio still stay strong
- Reminiscing Rio and the delights of Copacabana