Landmark year ahead for volleyball
Lausanne, Switzerland, January 2, 2012 – As we welcome in another exciting year for the FIVB and volleyball, it is a great opportunity to look ahead to what promises to be a landmark year for the sport. New tournaments, World Championship qualifiers and new formats and teams for the World League and World Grand Prix are set to revolutionise volleyball for 2013 and beyond.
Italy beat Brazil for the women's FIVB World Grand Champions Cup title four years ago|
FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° already said in his end of year message that “the year 2013 promises to be an exciting one for the big volleyball and beach volleyball family" and there’s no doubt that he is talking about improvement both off and on the court.
After the past Olympic-Games-fuelled exceptional 12 months, one of the key highlights on the volleyball court for 2013 will be the qualification process for the 2014 World Championships (Men's Final Round due to be held in Poland, Women's Final Round in Italy) taking place across all five continents. Although, NORCECA has already started preliminary qualifiers in 2012, the race for the 23 vacancies to see who will join the host countries will heat up this year before the final phase in 2014.
Of course there are the traditional annual competitions such as the World League and the World Grand Prix but with a record number of teams and a new format for the World League, they are expected to entertain like never before.
Like beach volleyball, volleyball will welcome a new Under 23 tournament alongside the four other age group tournaments (girls’ under 18, boys’ under 19, women under 20 and men under 21) while the Club World Championships has undergone a makeover in terms of timing with a move from October to May.
The year will round out with the FIVB World Grand Champions Cup, which will take place in November in Japan with the continental champions all in action looking to see who will replace Brazil and Italy as the champions for men and women respectively.
It all adds up to an action-packed year building up to the World Championships in 2014 with innovation and participation the name of the game.
- Second round has arrived with promises of more exciting matches
- Video challenge eyes the court in second and final round
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - As It Happened
- Introducing Round 2: Russia, USA, Turkey and Bulgaria seek a pass to the Final Six
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 14 events
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- First round concludes with thrilling matches across Italy
- Ma-Xia win beach volleyball gold at Asian Games
- First FIVB World Tour medal bittersweet for Italy's Menegatti/Orsi Toth
- Call brings old Brazilian friends back together on the beach
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Brazil holds off Italy to win women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Netherlands stops Brazil for men’s gold medal at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China’s Ma-Xia to face Thailand’s Udomchavee-Radarong in the final of Asian Games beach volleyball tournament
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Varenhorst calls in the Experience to FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Beach growing in the land of Volleyball
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- Brazil, Netherlands to tangle for men’s gold Sunday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- Brazil to meet Italy for women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Last-minute invite leads Popp to fifth place at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Four China teams make Asian Games beach volleyball semis
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Men’s final four set for Saturday’s semifinals at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Women’s final four set for Saturday’s semis at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Slow end doesn't dull Czech Republic's Slukova/Kolocova breakthrough year
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Twenty-four men’s duos advance from pool play Thursday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Canada's Binstock/Schachter earn memorable triple in São Paulo
- Women’s field reduced to 24 teams at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Were you at the final?
- Austria's Schwaiger on road to Rio with new teammate
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Ten unbeaten women’s teams Wednesday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Five huge surprises in men’s pool play FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam Wednesday
- Eight undefeated teams stand in good position to advance to second round after Day 2