Javier Weber to continue as coach of Argentina men's team
Buenos Aires, Argentina, December 20, 2012 - The Argentina Volleyball Federation (FeVA) is pleased to announce that Javier Weber will continue to coach the Argentina national men’s volleyball team. FeVA's Board of Administration decided to continue the successful partnership for the next Olympic period, which will see Weber continue coaching a team he has led since 2009.
Javier Weber briefs his players during a time out|
Under Weber’s leadership, the team finished in fifth place at the Olympic Games in London in 2012, reached three consecutive qualifications for the Final Round of the World League, achieved fourth place in the last edition of the World League in addition to two second place finishes at the South American Championships and ninth place in the FIVB world rankings.
"Given the statistics and our satisfaction with Weber’s job from the start, there was no doubt that FeVA wanted Javier Weber in charge of the team,” said FeVA President, Juan Antonio Gutierrez.
"We had to wait for confirmation from our Board of Administration that met last weekend and whose members voted unanimously to continue with Weber. Our future is now bright and the board endorsed his outstanding job. He also has the important support of the CNARD, the Olympic Committee and the Sport Secretariat. These three bodies have understood from the start that Weber was the best choice for the development of volleyball in the country," finished Gutierrez.
Javier Weber’s emotion and excitement was evident. "It is great to have everyone’s support and the result has made me very excited. At the same time I feel great responsibility and motivation to multiply the work done until now. We have a common project and it is important to do a good job together. In the first period of our work we built Argentina into one of the most powerful volleyball countries in the world. We will now try to maintain this and continue to grow our talented players," he said.
In Weber’s first year as coach in 2009, Argentina qualified for the first time for the Final Round of the FIVB World League, held in Serbia. The following year Weber changed players, to create a winning national team and the results have showed ever since.
The Argentine national men’s and boys’ teams have obtained outstanding international results at different levels of competition, including a gold medal at the Odesur Games, bronze at the 2011 Pan-American Games, and second place at the 2011 Junior World Championship. There were also two bronze medals for the Junior and Youth teams in 2009 one silver medal at the 2010 Youth Olympic Games.
Weber’s official four year period will begin in 2013 when the details of his work plan will be made known.
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Puerto Rico hosts NORCECA Final Qualifiers to Nanjing