Yet another accolade for USA's Misty May-Treanor
Colorado Springs, Colorado, December 18, 2012 – Misty May-Treanor has been named USA Volleyball Female Athlete of the Year for beach volleyball.
Misty May-Treanor with her third consecutive Olympic gold medal|
May-Treanor, 35 won her third straight Olympic gold medal with partner Kerri Walsh Jennings in London in 2012, making it through the competition with only one lost set. In the final, the duo defeated compatriots Jennifer Kessy and April Ross 21-16, 21-16 in 36 minutes at Horse Guards Parade.
“I still feel like somebody pinch me that this just happened,” May-Treanor said immediately following the gold medal victory. “We’ve been walking around the stadium saying it feels like an out-of-body experience.
“This was about the experience, the friendship, the journey and volleyball was just a small part of it.”
May-Treanor led all Olympic beach volleyball players in digs in London with 107 on 225 attempts (15 sets) for a .48 success percentage. She was second among all players in scoring with 125 points on 120 kills, one block and four aces
May-Treanor and Walsh also won one 2012 FIVB Grand Slam in Gstaad, Switzerland and finished second at the FIVB Grand Slam in Moscow.
The team finished the season ranked 11th on the FIVB World Tour after struggling in some of the early tournaments of 2012, including ninth-place finishes in Beijing and Shanghai. May-Treanor and Walsh credit sports psychologist Michael Gervais with helping them get back in sync.
"It's important that we're all on the same page. It's been a process," May-Treanor said.
The FIVB also named May-Treanor its Most Inspirational Player of 2012, an honour she shared with Walsh Jennings.
May-Treanor did not compete domestically in 2012 and is ranked fourth in the USA Volleyball beach rankings.
May-Treanor, who is married to professional baseball player Matt Treanor, has not competed in beach volleyball since the Olympic Games and has said in interviews that she is retiring to coach volleyball and start a family.
- Medal winners return to Porto for the U19 World Championships
- Poland, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Bulgaria assume early pool leadership in World Grand Prix
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 11 events
- Elisa Togut looks ahead to Women's World Championship
- Social Timeline: Golden fun in the Long Beach sun
- Social Timeline: New format, same excitement as 2014 Grand Prix begins
- Historic success for Mexico
- USA’s Dalhausser & Rosenthal net third 2014 World Tour gold
- Ross/Walsh Jennings capture women’s gold on home sand
- Back-to-back Larnaka gold for Poland’s Bryl and Kujawiak
- Four European teams keep spotless win-records in World Grand Prix
- Brazil to battle USA Sunday for Long Beach women’s gold
- Men’s Long Beach final between Poland, USA
- U21 World Championships in Larnaka down to last eight
- Collin cites competition
- Kenya stand as sole debutant winner on World Grand Prix opener
- Two USA duos along with Germany, Poland win quarterfinals Friday in Long Beach
- Women’s elite eight ready for quarterfinals and semis in Long Beach
- Top teams thrive at U21 World Championships
- Lima is ready for the World Grand Prix
- Akers applies authentic accentuate
- Africa Queens land in Mexico for FIVB World Grand Prix
- Mexico to stage first weekend of FIVB World Grand Prix Pool Q matches
- 24 Men’s teams set for Long Beach single-elimination rounds
- Women’s field reduced to 24 for single-elimination rounds in Long Beach
- Main draw of the FIVB U21 World Championships on its way
- Beach Volleyball under the Big “T.O.P.”
- World Grand Prix statistical preview: Brazil eye back-to-back titles
- 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Media Guide online
- Peru intensify workouts ahead of World Grand Prix
- Kazakhstan bring in experience for World Grand Prix opening weekend in Almaty
- Argentina prepare for first weekend of World Grand Prix
- Five teams make their debuts as record-breaking FIVB World Grand Prix gets underway
- World Grand Prix: Bigger and better than ever
- 1986: USA bring a halt to East European dominance
- World League's top four USA, Brazil, Italy and Iran contribute to Dream Team
- 13 Women’s duos win first two of three rounds of Pool Play Wednesday at Alamitos Beach
- Men complete first of three rounds of Pool Play at Long Beach
- Researcher reaps rewards
- Eight qualification winners and five lucky losers make it into U21 main draw
- FIVB President holds FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship talks with JVA and TBS
- “Best ever”: USA and the sport of volleyball are winners as the FIVB World League celebrates its 25th anniversary
- Italian Prime Minister attends FIVB World League Finals in Florence
- ASICS World Series of Beach Volleyball, a $1,000,000 FIVB Grand Slam in Long Beach
- Finding Stars on Alamitos Beach
- Andrea Zorzi: Speed is at the heart of modern volleyball
- World League performances reshuffle world ranking
- Algeria to host Women's U18 and U23 African Nations Championships
- Talking Stats: 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour - July 21
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 10 events