Yet another accolade for USA's Misty May-Treanor
Colorado Springs, Colorado, December 18, 2012 – Misty May-Treanor has been named USA Volleyball Female Athlete of the Year for beach volleyball.
Misty May-Treanor with her third consecutive Olympic gold medal|
May-Treanor, 35 won her third straight Olympic gold medal with partner Kerri Walsh Jennings in London in 2012, making it through the competition with only one lost set. In the final, the duo defeated compatriots Jennifer Kessy and April Ross 21-16, 21-16 in 36 minutes at Horse Guards Parade.
“I still feel like somebody pinch me that this just happened,” May-Treanor said immediately following the gold medal victory. “We’ve been walking around the stadium saying it feels like an out-of-body experience.
“This was about the experience, the friendship, the journey and volleyball was just a small part of it.”
May-Treanor led all Olympic beach volleyball players in digs in London with 107 on 225 attempts (15 sets) for a .48 success percentage. She was second among all players in scoring with 125 points on 120 kills, one block and four aces
May-Treanor and Walsh also won one 2012 FIVB Grand Slam in Gstaad, Switzerland and finished second at the FIVB Grand Slam in Moscow.
The team finished the season ranked 11th on the FIVB World Tour after struggling in some of the early tournaments of 2012, including ninth-place finishes in Beijing and Shanghai. May-Treanor and Walsh credit sports psychologist Michael Gervais with helping them get back in sync.
"It's important that we're all on the same page. It's been a process," May-Treanor said.
The FIVB also named May-Treanor its Most Inspirational Player of 2012, an honour she shared with Walsh Jennings.
May-Treanor did not compete domestically in 2012 and is ranked fourth in the USA Volleyball beach rankings.
May-Treanor, who is married to professional baseball player Matt Treanor, has not competed in beach volleyball since the Olympic Games and has said in interviews that she is retiring to coach volleyball and start a family.
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Puerto Rico hosts NORCECA Final Qualifiers to Nanjing
- Germany’s mentor Vital Heynen shares goals and vision ahead of international season
- Rules of the Game Volleyball Case Book available for download
- Underdogs hope to pull off surprises in Asian Men's Club Championship
- One million dollars in prize money up for grabs at Transavia and Long Beach Grand Slams
- Palestine stages mini-volleyball festival in Bethlehem
- Venezuela and Paraguay take gold in third stage of Youth Olympic Games qualification
- Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Thailand claim two berths apiece for Nanjing Youth Olympics
- Celebrating the power of sport