Dr. Ary Graça confirms support for African volleyball development on Algeria visit
Blida, Algeria, December 10, 2012 – Dr. Ary Graça, president of the FIVB, recently completed a four day visit to Algeria, where he met with Algeria Federation president Mustapha Lemouchi and other sport dignitaries.
The visit, which took place from December 6 to 9, was Dr. Graça’s first visit to Algeria since his election in September 2012. |
At a press conference held at the Equestrian Club of Blida (attended by the Tunisian and Nigerian federation presidents) the FIVB president promised to do his best to help local volleyball grow and popularise mini-volleyball. He stated his support for giving the national federation the means to develop supports, organise training for coaches and referees, and raise the level of the discipline in Algeria.
"A development plan funded by the International Federation of Volleyball for the practice of the discipline in North African countries, especially in Algeria, will be implemented shortly, with specific materials such as nets and balls provided to the federations,” Graça announced.
The President also held talks with officials from Algerian sporting bodies, including the Minister of Youth and Sports, Mohamed Tahmi. Speaking after the meeting, Dr. Graça confirmed that both men had the same vision for boosting and promoting young talent development in volleyball in Africa.
His visit also coincided with a women’s volleyball match between GSPetrolier and NRChlef in the city of Tipaza on Friday, December 7 and a mini volleyball tournament at the Blida school sports hall the following day.
The mini volleyball tournament brought together around 1,500 athletes from different provinces of the country and each went home with a ball and a jersey. The young participants gave their best as the FIVB President, along with Olympic champion Jaqueline Carvalho, looked on.
- 35th FIVB Congress to open in period of unprecedented growth for volleyball
- Eczacibasi celebrate golden anniversary ahead of Club Worlds
- Official FIVB World Congress website now open
- Buenos Aires to welcome Volleyball Your Way festival
- Preparations in full swing at PSL Manila
- Galaxy of Olympic stars in 2016-17 Brazil Superleagues
- Brilliant Barbara, Fabulous Fernanda newest Brazilian beach duo
- Iran, China to clash in final of Men's AVC Cup
- Olympic champs Ludwig and Walkenhorst aiming for new heights
- Iran, Japan, China, Chinese Taipei reach AVC Cup semifinals
- 2017 World League Finals bidding process launched
- Angela Leyva in rising orbit ahead of 2017 World Grand Prix Group 2
- Ricardo and Andre win Brazil Tour opener
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada