Kessy/Ross, Gibb/Patterson bound for FIVB Beach Volleyball World Cup Final
Colorado Springs, USA, December 5, 2012 – USA Volleyball has confirmed that 2012 Olympic silver medallists Jennifer Kessy and April Ross will represent the United States at the FIVB World Cup in Brazil, along with the new USA men's team of Jake Gibb and Casey Patterson.
Kessy and Ross notched their first World Tour gold of 2012 in the final event of the season with a win over Russia’s Evgenia Ukolova and Ekaterina Khomyakova in Bangsaen|
Kessy and Ross won the gold medal at the Bansaen Thailand Open in October, the last FIVB World Tour event of 2012. They also won silver in London and bronze at the Rome Grand Slam in June. They finished the 2012 season ranked fourth in the World Tour.
Gibb finished fifth at the 2012 Olympic Games in London with Sean Rosenthal, his partner since 2006. The pair went on to win the 2012 FIVB World Tour Championship thanks to two gold medals, two silvers and one bronze on the 2012 Tour.
Rosenthal split with Gibb at the end of 2012, however, to compete with Olympic gold medallist Phil Dalhausser. Gibb has since paired up with Patterson, who previously competed with Ryan Doherty.
Canada's men's team of Chaim Schalk and Ben Saxton, and the women's team of Liz Maloney and Heather Bansley, will also compete for the more than $300,000 in prize money on offer at the World Cup.
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- “It’s been a long season”
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”
- As the Mikasa Turns - Bansley & Pavan "split" conversation
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- TALKIN’ STATS: Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Preview
- Toronto's Tuesday Trial - Pavan’s pristine picture?
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016
- Pools and schedule outlined for Men's Club World Champs
- Trentino, UPCN and Bolivar join top teams at Men’s Club World Champs
- Lupo and Nicolai staying grounded despite Rio silver
- Schedule set as World Tour Finals countdown enters final week
- A month after opening, Brazil still bask in Rio 2016 gold glory
- Relive Egypt's Olympic beach volleyball debut
- One month after first serve, memories of Rio still stay strong
- Reminiscing Rio and the delights of Copacabana