Brazilian Juliana/Larissa and Talita/Antonelli to bid farewell this weekend
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, December 6 – Brazilian female Olympic beach volleyball teams Juliana/Larissa and Talita/Antonelli will play their last tournament this weekend, at Copacabana Beach, in Rio de Janeiro. Both duos will split for the 2013 season sixth stop of the Brazilian Banco do Brasil Tour.
Brazil's Larissa França and Juliana Felisberta da Silva recently picked up the 2012 FIVB SWATCH World Tour Team of the Year award. This weekend's tournament will bring their nine year partnership to an end. |
Bronze medallists in London, Juliana and Larissa played together for nine years, winning the World Tour seven times, the Brazilian Tour five times, the Pan-American Games twice and the World Championship once, in 2011. The duo achieved over 100 titles and 1,000 wins.
Juliana and Larissa end their winning partnership after 30 year old Larissa intends to become a mother in the coming year.
“I am a little anxious. I knew this moment would come and it will be tough to go through it. I will cry, but my tears will be of happiness and gratitude for everything beach volleyball has given me. I am sure and happy about my decision and I know my family will help me to be strong,” says Larissa.
Playing together since 2009, Talita and Antonelli won the Brazilian Tour in their debut season, the bronze medal at the 2009 World Championship and qualified for the London Olympic Games, where they finished ninth.
“We had four years of success. We had more pleasure than sadness, but this cycle is coming to its end and we want to finish it in a very good way,” said Talita.
With Larissa out of the courts, the other three players have not announced who will they play with in 2013.
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 10 - LIVE
- Leaders maintain edge after second round opens
- USA continue their winning streak to stay on full points at 2014 Women’s World Champs
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 9 - As It Happened
- Talking Stats: 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour - Oct 1
- Second round has arrived with promises of more exciting matches
- Video challenge eyes the court in second and final round
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - As It Happened
- Introducing Round 2: Russia, USA, Turkey and Bulgaria seek a pass to the Final Six
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 14 events
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- First round concludes with thrilling matches across Italy
- Ma-Xia win beach volleyball gold at Asian Games
- First FIVB World Tour medal bittersweet for Italy's Menegatti/Orsi Toth
- Call brings old Brazilian friends back together on the beach
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Brazil holds off Italy to win women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Netherlands stops Brazil for men’s gold medal at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China’s Ma-Xia to face Thailand’s Udomchavee-Radarong in the final of Asian Games beach volleyball tournament
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Varenhorst calls in the Experience to FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Beach growing in the land of Volleyball
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- Brazil, Netherlands to tangle for men’s gold Sunday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- Brazil to meet Italy for women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Last-minute invite leads Popp to fifth place at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Four China teams make Asian Games beach volleyball semis
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Men’s final four set for Saturday’s semifinals at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Women’s final four set for Saturday’s semis at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Slow end doesn't dull Czech Republic's Slukova/Kolocova breakthrough year
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Twenty-four men’s duos advance from pool play Thursday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Canada's Binstock/Schachter earn memorable triple in São Paulo
- Women’s field reduced to 24 teams at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Were you at the final?