Brazilian Juliana/Larissa and Talita/Antonelli to bid farewell this weekend
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, December 6 – Brazilian female Olympic beach volleyball teams Juliana/Larissa and Talita/Antonelli will play their last tournament this weekend, at Copacabana Beach, in Rio de Janeiro. Both duos will split for the 2013 season sixth stop of the Brazilian Banco do Brasil Tour.
Brazil's Larissa França and Juliana Felisberta da Silva recently picked up the 2012 FIVB SWATCH World Tour Team of the Year award. This weekend's tournament will bring their nine year partnership to an end. |
Bronze medallists in London, Juliana and Larissa played together for nine years, winning the World Tour seven times, the Brazilian Tour five times, the Pan-American Games twice and the World Championship once, in 2011. The duo achieved over 100 titles and 1,000 wins.
Juliana and Larissa end their winning partnership after 30 year old Larissa intends to become a mother in the coming year.
“I am a little anxious. I knew this moment would come and it will be tough to go through it. I will cry, but my tears will be of happiness and gratitude for everything beach volleyball has given me. I am sure and happy about my decision and I know my family will help me to be strong,” says Larissa.
Playing together since 2009, Talita and Antonelli won the Brazilian Tour in their debut season, the bronze medal at the 2009 World Championship and qualified for the London Olympic Games, where they finished ninth.
“We had four years of success. We had more pleasure than sadness, but this cycle is coming to its end and we want to finish it in a very good way,” said Talita.
With Larissa out of the courts, the other three players have not announced who will they play with in 2013.
- Sada Cruzeiro and Minas Tênis Clube to host 2016 edition of Men's Club World Championship
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016