Splendid action on Day One at Druif Beach in Aruba
Oranjestad, Aruba, November 30, 2012 – The men’s duos of Trinidad & Tobago, Mexico and Dominican Republic and the women´s teams of Puerto Rico-A and Costa Rica-B won their two matches of day one at the Aruba Beach Volleyball Tournament, the eleventh stop of the 2012 NORCECA Circuit on Friday.
Fabien Whitfield of Trinidad & Tobago celebrates after winning a match against USA-B team of Matt Motter and Derek Olson on Friday|
Playing in Pool C, Trinidadians Fabien Whitfield and Daneil Williams and Mexicans Juan Virgen and Lombardo Ontiveros both claimed victories over the teams of USA-B and Barbados.
Whitfield/Williams first beat Barbados’ Kyle Browne and Hugh Sealey 21-17, 21-12 and then overcame Matt Motter and Derek Olson of USA-B in three sets (14-21, 22-20, 15-8). Virgen/Ontiveros edged Motter/Olson 2-1 (21-17, 19-21, 15-12) before crushing Browne/Sealey 21-9, 21-6.
In Pool D, the Dominicans Luis Adames and German Recio notched a 21-18, 21-18 victory over Domingo Ávila and Otto Penso of Panama and the overwhelmed Curacao’s Holmi Cathalina and Algidio Juliana 21-10, 21-10.
In the women’s division, Puerto Ricans Yarleen Santiago and Yamileska Yantin and Costa Ricans Ingrid Morales and Natalia Alfaro won their two matches of Pool D and C respectively.
Santiago/Yantín first defeated the United States-B team of Stevi Robinson and Kirby Burnham by scores of 21-16, 21-11 and then beat compatriots Dariam Acevedo and Tatiana Encarnacion of Puerto Rico-B by 21-13, 21-18.
Morales/Alfaro won a three-setter (21-16, 15-21, 15-8) over Mexico’s Bibi Candelas and Martha Revuelta and followed with a 21-13, 21-13 night victory under the lights over Dominican Republic’s Diana Peguero and Nairobi Agramonte.
Men’s results of Friday
Pool A: United States-A d Nicaragua 2-0 (21-13, 21-14); Nicaragua d Costa Rica 2-0 (23-21, 21-18)
Pool B: Guatemala d Cayman Islands 2-0 (21-14, 21-19); Aruba d Cayman Islands 2-0 (21-14, 21-10)
Pool C: Trinidad & Tobago d Barbados 2-0 (21-17, 21-12); Mexico d United States-B 2-1 (21-17, 19-21, 15-12); Trinidad & Tobago d United States-B 2-1 (14-21, 22-20, 15-8); Mexico d Barbados 2-0 (21-9, 21-6)
Pool D: St. Lucia d Curazao 2-0 (21-15, 21-16); Dominican Republic d Panama 2-0 (21-18, 21-18); Dominican Republic d Curazao 2-0 (21-10, 21-10); St. Lucia d Panama 2-0 (21-16, 21-12).
Women’s results of Friday
Pool A: Nicaragua d Cayman Islands 2-0 (21-15, 21-18); Cayman Islands d Canada 2-0 (21-13, 21-12)
Pool B: St. Lucia d Trinidad & Tobago 2-0 (21-12, 21-14); United States-A d St. Lucia 2-0 (21-6, 21-3).
Pool C: Dominican Republic d St. Vincent 2-0 (21-9, 21-4); Costa Rica-B d Mexico 2-1 (21-16, 15-21, 15-8); Mexico d St. Vincent 2-0 (21-7, 21-12); Costa Rica d Dominican Republic 2-0 (21-13, 21-13).
Pool D: Puerto Rico-B d Costa Rica-A 2-0 (21-14, 21-14); Puerto Rico-A d United States-B 2-0 (21-16, 21-11); United States-B d Costa Rica-A 2-0 (21-14, 21-17); Puerto Rico-A d Puerto Rico-B 2-0 (21-13, 21-18).
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Puerto Rico hosts NORCECA Final Qualifiers to Nanjing
- Germany’s mentor Vital Heynen shares goals and vision ahead of international season
- Rules of the Game Volleyball Case Book available for download
- Underdogs hope to pull off surprises in Asian Men's Club Championship
- One million dollars in prize money up for grabs at Transavia and Long Beach Grand Slams
- Palestine stages mini-volleyball festival in Bethlehem