Splendid action on Day One at Druif Beach in Aruba
Oranjestad, Aruba, November 30, 2012 – The men’s duos of Trinidad & Tobago, Mexico and Dominican Republic and the women´s teams of Puerto Rico-A and Costa Rica-B won their two matches of day one at the Aruba Beach Volleyball Tournament, the eleventh stop of the 2012 NORCECA Circuit on Friday.
Fabien Whitfield of Trinidad & Tobago celebrates after winning a match against USA-B team of Matt Motter and Derek Olson on Friday|
Playing in Pool C, Trinidadians Fabien Whitfield and Daneil Williams and Mexicans Juan Virgen and Lombardo Ontiveros both claimed victories over the teams of USA-B and Barbados.
Whitfield/Williams first beat Barbados’ Kyle Browne and Hugh Sealey 21-17, 21-12 and then overcame Matt Motter and Derek Olson of USA-B in three sets (14-21, 22-20, 15-8). Virgen/Ontiveros edged Motter/Olson 2-1 (21-17, 19-21, 15-12) before crushing Browne/Sealey 21-9, 21-6.
In Pool D, the Dominicans Luis Adames and German Recio notched a 21-18, 21-18 victory over Domingo Ávila and Otto Penso of Panama and the overwhelmed Curacao’s Holmi Cathalina and Algidio Juliana 21-10, 21-10.
In the women’s division, Puerto Ricans Yarleen Santiago and Yamileska Yantin and Costa Ricans Ingrid Morales and Natalia Alfaro won their two matches of Pool D and C respectively.
Santiago/Yantín first defeated the United States-B team of Stevi Robinson and Kirby Burnham by scores of 21-16, 21-11 and then beat compatriots Dariam Acevedo and Tatiana Encarnacion of Puerto Rico-B by 21-13, 21-18.
Morales/Alfaro won a three-setter (21-16, 15-21, 15-8) over Mexico’s Bibi Candelas and Martha Revuelta and followed with a 21-13, 21-13 night victory under the lights over Dominican Republic’s Diana Peguero and Nairobi Agramonte.
Men’s results of Friday
Pool A: United States-A d Nicaragua 2-0 (21-13, 21-14); Nicaragua d Costa Rica 2-0 (23-21, 21-18)
Pool B: Guatemala d Cayman Islands 2-0 (21-14, 21-19); Aruba d Cayman Islands 2-0 (21-14, 21-10)
Pool C: Trinidad & Tobago d Barbados 2-0 (21-17, 21-12); Mexico d United States-B 2-1 (21-17, 19-21, 15-12); Trinidad & Tobago d United States-B 2-1 (14-21, 22-20, 15-8); Mexico d Barbados 2-0 (21-9, 21-6)
Pool D: St. Lucia d Curazao 2-0 (21-15, 21-16); Dominican Republic d Panama 2-0 (21-18, 21-18); Dominican Republic d Curazao 2-0 (21-10, 21-10); St. Lucia d Panama 2-0 (21-16, 21-12).
Women’s results of Friday
Pool A: Nicaragua d Cayman Islands 2-0 (21-15, 21-18); Cayman Islands d Canada 2-0 (21-13, 21-12)
Pool B: St. Lucia d Trinidad & Tobago 2-0 (21-12, 21-14); United States-A d St. Lucia 2-0 (21-6, 21-3).
Pool C: Dominican Republic d St. Vincent 2-0 (21-9, 21-4); Costa Rica-B d Mexico 2-1 (21-16, 15-21, 15-8); Mexico d St. Vincent 2-0 (21-7, 21-12); Costa Rica d Dominican Republic 2-0 (21-13, 21-13).
Pool D: Puerto Rico-B d Costa Rica-A 2-0 (21-14, 21-14); Puerto Rico-A d United States-B 2-0 (21-16, 21-11); United States-B d Costa Rica-A 2-0 (21-14, 21-17); Puerto Rico-A d Puerto Rico-B 2-0 (21-13, 21-18).
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament