Primary volleyball a boost to U-13 programme in Jamaica
Kingston, Jamaica, November 30 – The third Primary/Prep School Volleyball League took place in Jamaica last week, providing a significant boost to the national Under-13 programme. Savanna-la-Mar Primary secured the all-island title by beating Greater Portmore Primary 25-17, 25-18 in the final at the Stadium Complex.
Twenty-three schools from St Thomas, St James, St Ann, St Catherine and Westmoreland took part in the competition, which received funding from the Sports Development Foundation|
Lyssons Primary finished third, ahead of Unity, Irwin, Anchovy, Invertness, Holly Hill, Servite, Port Morant, Kings, Golden Grove and Runaway Bay Primary schools.
Savanna-la-mar players, Christopher Miller and teammate Alvarez Cooper, took the competition's MVP award and the president's Madd Skills Award, respectively.
President of the Jamaica Volleyball Association (JaVA), Warrenton Dixon was particularly pleased with the event, saying: "Our players are learning the game a lot earlier and we've identified skilled and very tall players for the national Under-13 Programme.” He also praised the efforts of the teachers, citing them as the reason for the success of the competition.
Visiting international coach Reed Sunahara, sent by NORCECA to work with JaVA, and FIVB instructor Athanasios Papageorgiou, a 42-year veteran from the German Sports University and professor at the World Organisation for Disabled Volleyball, were guests of honour at the National Finals.
Professor Sunahara spent three weeks in November conducting coaching clinics island-wide. "When compared to the first time I worked with these players, they have shown significant improvement. I clearly see most teams trying to exercise control over the ball and use their three touches before playing the ball across the net," he said.
Professor Papageorgiou, though pleased with the grassroots-level activities, called for a focus on mini-volleyball where children three to four years of age play on a smaller court.
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - LIVE
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 14 events
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- First round concludes with thrilling matches across Italy
- Ma-Xia win beach volleyball gold at Asian Games
- First FIVB World Tour medal bittersweet for Italy's Menegatti/Orsi Toth
- Call brings old Brazilian friends back together on the beach
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Brazil holds off Italy to win women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Netherlands stops Brazil for men’s gold medal at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China’s Ma-Xia to face Thailand’s Udomchavee-Radarong in the final of Asian Games beach volleyball tournament
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Varenhorst calls in the Experience to FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Beach growing in the land of Volleyball
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- Brazil, Netherlands to tangle for men’s gold Sunday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- Brazil to meet Italy for women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Last-minute invite leads Popp to fifth place at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Four China teams make Asian Games beach volleyball semis
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Men’s final four set for Saturday’s semifinals at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Women’s final four set for Saturday’s semis at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Slow end doesn't dull Czech Republic's Slukova/Kolocova breakthrough year
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Twenty-four men’s duos advance from pool play Thursday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Canada's Binstock/Schachter earn memorable triple in São Paulo
- Women’s field reduced to 24 teams at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Were you at the final?
- Austria's Schwaiger on road to Rio with new teammate
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Ten unbeaten women’s teams Wednesday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Five huge surprises in men’s pool play FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam Wednesday
- Eight undefeated teams stand in good position to advance to second round after Day 2
- No second day shocks for tournament favourites
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 2 - As It Happened
- Young Brazilians pull of major upset at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam