Brazil’s Rodrigao to make beach volleyball debut
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, November 30 – Former Brazilian Olympic volleyball champion Rodrigo Santana (Rodrigao) starts a new challenge this weekend. After 16 years of playing for the national volleyball team, the 33 year old will make his debut in beach volleyball, playing the sixth stop of the Banco do Brasil National Tour, in Rio de Janeiro.
After an extensive volleyball career, Rodrigao will partner with veteran Carlao Arrudo on Brazil's national beach volleyball tour this weekend|
In his first beach volleyball tournament, the Athens Olympic champion and two-time silver medallist will team up with veteran Carlao Arrudo.
“I always thought about playing beach volleyball and as I will be out of the next edition of the Superliga, I realised it was a good moment to make the change. The first event will be a learning experience to see how things work,” he said.
Rodrigao finished playing volleyball with the Al-Rayan club in October in the FIVB Club World Championship and expects his first beach volleyball tournament to be tough.
“Although I have been practicing on the sand for about a month, we are going to face people who have been playing beach volleyball for years and who are used to the major tournaments. They also have a better rhythm than I do, so it will be very good if we can win a match,” said Rodrigao.
Also participating in the tournament are Beijing silver medallist Fabio Luiz Magalhaes and semifinalists Renato ‘Geor’ Gomes and Jorge ‘Gia’ Terceiro. The Salgado sisters, Maria Clara and Carolina as well as Beijing Olympian Renata Ribeiro will take part in the women’s competition.
- The Duke holds court at volleyball training session
- Watch: Highlights of 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Draw
- Legendary coach Karpol visits FIVB
- Germany ready to battle for ticket to 2014 World Champs
- And the countdown begins to the Durban Open
- Ghana, Nigeria in final phase of Women's World Championship qualification
- Record 28 teams for 2014 World Grand Prix
- Celebrating Czech Republic's 'Mini volleyball in colours'
- Mini volleyball fever takes hold of Palestine
- World League expands to 28 countries
- VIS seminar concludes in Trinidad and Tobago
- Rwanda, Kenya join Egypt to World Champs final qualification phase
- World Tour Council meets in Lausanne
- Egypt claim gold at World Champs zone 5 qualifier
- Talita and Lima confirmed as women’s rankings champs
- Alison and Emanuel announce split
- 5 teams share immaculate record after CEV Champions League third round comes to a close
- Egypt continue with another win as Rwanda edge Kenya in World Champs qualifier
- Jamaicans Hutchinson, Bryan book China ticket in style
- Trinidadian girls Ward, Davidson seal Youth Olympic spot
- Fruitful meeting for Beach Volleyball Commission
- Yet another successful year for Brazil's VivaVolei festival
- Beach Volleyball tour starts in Sierra Leone
- Impressive 56-54 set score at Korean V-League match
- Jamaica, Barbados surprise top teams for China chance
- Watch: The best of 2013 FIVB World Tour now online
- Egypt lead with second victory as Uganda register first win in World Champs qualifier
- Russian dominance ends as Brazil back at number one
- Level II coaches course gets underway in Mauritius
- One step forward for beach volleyball in Indonesia
- Egypt struggle past Kenya as Rwanda ease past Burundi in World Champs qualifier
- FIVB flourishes on Chinese social media
- Zorzi evaluates World Grand Champions Cup performances
- Volleyball workshop boosts sport in Palestine
- Media accreditation reminder for Durban Open
- Trinidad & Tobago host successful setter seminar
- Brazil win fourth World Grand Champions Cup title, Russia and Italy settle for silver and bronze
- Brazil, Russia, Italy all have a shot at Grand Champions Cup gold before last round
- With third straight victory Brazil cement their leadership at Men’s Grand Champions Cup
- Fans flock to FIVB's YouTube following historic Thailand win
- Coaches look forward to another three days of world-class volleyball
- Natalie Cook: "I'm looking forward to 2014 and beyond"
- Andrea Zorzi: 'Size and height aren’t Japan’s only problem'
- Afghanistan gives beach volleyball a jump-start
- Brazil only team with two victories as Grand Champions Cup moves to Tokyo
- Team Japan’s improvement will take time says former volleyball star Motoko Obayashi
- Iran captain says mentality has changed dramatically under Velasco’s leadership
- Andrea Zorzi reviews World Grand Champions Cup opening day
- FIVB and Rio 2016 collaborate to ensure spectacular Olympic Games
- Italy, Brazil, USA all start Men’s Grand Champions Cup on a high note