Canadian men to battle for spot at beach volleyball World Cup
Toronto, Canada, November 30, 2012 – Canadian Olympians Josh Binstock of Toronto and Martin Reader of Comox, B.C., will be on different teams at the Canadian trials for the inaugural beach volleyball World Cup this Friday and Saturday (November 30-December 1) at the Beach High Performance Facility at Downsview Park in Toronto.
Josh Binstock and Martin Reader were partners for the 2012 Olympic Games in London|
Binstock will team up with Maverick Hatch of Calgary while Reader and Sam Schachter of Toronto, a world junior champion two years ago, are combining forces for this tournament. Canada’s two other entered teams are Christian Redmann of Toronto and Matt Zbyszewski of Toronto and Chaim Schalk of Red Deer, Alberta and Ben Saxton of Calgary.
“We are trying to balance doing well at trials and not throwing off our off season training plans too much,” said Redmann. “It's definitely adding another element to our off season.”
In Friday’s semifinals, Redmann- Zbyszewski face Binstock and Hatch at 7:30 p.m. followed by Schalk-Saxton versus Reader- Schacter at 8:30 p.m. The final is on Saturday at 6:30 p.m.
“Defensively we look really good,” said Chalk to volleyballsourcemag.com about his new all-Alberta partnership with Saxton. “Ben is one of the top blockers and works well with my defence around him as well. We’re going to work hard, have fun and hopefully that works out well for us.”
On the women’s side, Liz Maloney and Heather Bansley of Toronto have already locked up the World Cup spot. They were Canada’s top-ranked international team all season.
The FIVB World Cup final will be held in Brazil and will offer more than $300,000 in cash prizes.
The trials will be live streamed on the www.volleyballsourcemag.com website.
The match schedule is as follows:
Friday November 30th (Semifinal Matches):
• 7:30PM - Redmann/Zbysewski vs. Binstock/Hatch
• 8:30PM - Saxton/Schalk vs. Reader/Schachter (There will be a minimum of 30 minutes warm-up time on the match court following the first semi-final).
Saturday December 1st (Final Match):
• 6:30PM - Final (Winners of the two semi-final matches)
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR FIVB BEACH VOLLEYBALL WORLD CUP
Continental Cup Final winners
National Federations who qualified a maximum of two teams at the 2012 Olympic Games through the Olympic rankings
The best country on the 2012 Olympic Games rankings not already qualified through the above criteria
* Countries who qualified a maximum two teams at the 2012 Olympic Games via the Olympic rankings withdrew from the Continental Cup prior to the final, eliminating any chance to contest their respective Continental Cup Final
- The Duke holds court at volleyball training session
- Watch: Highlights of 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Draw
- Legendary coach Karpol visits FIVB
- Germany ready to battle for ticket to 2014 World Champs
- And the countdown begins to the Durban Open
- Ghana, Nigeria in final phase of Women's World Championship qualification
- Record 28 teams for 2014 World Grand Prix
- Celebrating Czech Republic's 'Mini volleyball in colours'
- Mini volleyball fever takes hold of Palestine
- World League expands to 28 countries
- VIS seminar concludes in Trinidad and Tobago
- Rwanda, Kenya join Egypt to World Champs final qualification phase
- World Tour Council meets in Lausanne
- Egypt claim gold at World Champs zone 5 qualifier
- Talita and Lima confirmed as women’s rankings champs
- Alison and Emanuel announce split
- 5 teams share immaculate record after CEV Champions League third round comes to a close
- Egypt continue with another win as Rwanda edge Kenya in World Champs qualifier
- Jamaicans Hutchinson, Bryan book China ticket in style
- Trinidadian girls Ward, Davidson seal Youth Olympic spot
- Fruitful meeting for Beach Volleyball Commission
- Yet another successful year for Brazil's VivaVolei festival
- Beach Volleyball tour starts in Sierra Leone
- Impressive 56-54 set score at Korean V-League match
- Jamaica, Barbados surprise top teams for China chance
- Watch: The best of 2013 FIVB World Tour now online
- Egypt lead with second victory as Uganda register first win in World Champs qualifier
- Russian dominance ends as Brazil back at number one
- Level II coaches course gets underway in Mauritius
- One step forward for beach volleyball in Indonesia
- Egypt struggle past Kenya as Rwanda ease past Burundi in World Champs qualifier
- FIVB flourishes on Chinese social media
- Zorzi evaluates World Grand Champions Cup performances
- Volleyball workshop boosts sport in Palestine
- Media accreditation reminder for Durban Open
- Trinidad & Tobago host successful setter seminar
- Brazil win fourth World Grand Champions Cup title, Russia and Italy settle for silver and bronze
- Brazil, Russia, Italy all have a shot at Grand Champions Cup gold before last round
- With third straight victory Brazil cement their leadership at Men’s Grand Champions Cup
- Fans flock to FIVB's YouTube following historic Thailand win
- Coaches look forward to another three days of world-class volleyball
- Natalie Cook: "I'm looking forward to 2014 and beyond"
- Andrea Zorzi: 'Size and height aren’t Japan’s only problem'
- Afghanistan gives beach volleyball a jump-start
- Brazil only team with two victories as Grand Champions Cup moves to Tokyo
- Team Japan’s improvement will take time says former volleyball star Motoko Obayashi
- Iran captain says mentality has changed dramatically under Velasco’s leadership
- Andrea Zorzi reviews World Grand Champions Cup opening day
- FIVB and Rio 2016 collaborate to ensure spectacular Olympic Games
- Italy, Brazil, USA all start Men’s Grand Champions Cup on a high note