Brazil, Chile and Argentina on the podium at the first stop of the South American Beach Volleyball tour 2012/13
The two final matches were broadcast live by the new volleyball official channel TyC Sports |
Santa Fe, Argentina, November 25, 2012 - The first stop of the South American Beach Volleyball Tour 2012/13 ended yesterday with a gold medal victory for Brazilian women’s duo Lili Simoes-Rebecca Silva, over Chileans Francisca Rivas-Camilla Pazdirek at the Triferto Resort in the city of Santa Fe. The bronze medal went to the Argentine team of Ana Gallay-Virginia Zonta who represented their country for the first time at the Olympics in London this summer.
Chilean cousins Marco and Esteban Grimalt took gold in the men’s competition after winning the first and third sets against Brazilian team Alvaro-Thiago and then a tie-break. Venezuela’s Farid Mussa-Jackson Henriquez won the bronze medal.
In the women’s competition, Chile made history as Francisca Rivas and Camila Pazdirek defeated Venezuelans Orquidea Vera-Grankelina Rodrriguez to bring Chile for the first time into the final. Unfortunately Gallay-Zonta were unable to win against the experienced Lili Simoes and Rebecca Silva in their semi-final, which also ended with a score of 2-0.
Gallay-Zonta took the courts again later that day. With Zonta’s outstanding serve and Gallay’s agility at the net, the duo overcame Vera-Rodriguez to win bronze for Argentina in a match that ended 2-0 (21-12, 21-14).
In the gold medal match Lili-Rebecca did not allow the Chilean team an easy time and won the final match 2-0 (21-13, 21-15). Lili was the MVP of the women’s competition.
In the men’s competition, Argentine team Pablo Suarez-Santiago Etchegaray showed an improvement in their game against Marco and Esteban Grimalt though it was not enough to win a place in the final. Alvaro-Thiago then brought Brazil into the final with a 2-0 win over Venezuela’s Mussa-Henriquez.
Mussa-Henriquez beat Suarez-Etchegaray (2-0) to win the bronze medal, while the Argentine team finished fourth in their best performance as a team.
The men's final match pitted Thiago-Alvaro against the Grimalt cousins. Brazil won the first set easily and led the third until Esteban scored two aces, finishing the match with a score of 15-13 and capturing gold for Chile.
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- President completes important SportAccord visit
- Brazil confirms Grand Slam event in September
- Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
- Brazil's Mineirinho arena shaping up for a big month
- Philippines, Lebanon, Qatar, Kazakhstan, Chinese Taipei win on first day of Asian Club Championship
- Nakhon Pathom ready to host Asian Women’s Club Championship
- Puerto Rico hosts NORCECA Final Qualifiers to Nanjing
- Germany’s mentor Vital Heynen shares goals and vision ahead of international season
- Rules of the Game Volleyball Case Book available for download
- Underdogs hope to pull off surprises in Asian Men's Club Championship
- One million dollars in prize money up for grabs at Transavia and Long Beach Grand Slams
- Palestine stages mini-volleyball festival in Bethlehem
- Venezuela and Paraguay take gold in third stage of Youth Olympic Games qualification
- Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Thailand claim two berths apiece for Nanjing Youth Olympics
- Celebrating the power of sport