Starting them young in the Northern Marianas Islands
Saipan, Northern Marianas Islands, November 23, 2012 – Young, up-and-coming volleyball players of the Northern Marianas Islands had an opportunity to compete at the Under-13 and Under-18 championships hosted by the Northern Marianas Islands Volleyball Association (NMIVA) last weekend.
The Northern Marianas Islands also hosted the sub-zonal phase of the AVC Beach Volleyball Continental Cup in 2011 |
Ten teams made up the Under-13 division with team Go Pro taking the title. Team Hurley, beat 14 other teams to claim the top spot in the Under-18 division.
The training tournament featured special ground rules to encourage players to use the skills learnt at weekly practice sessions.
Game point for all divisions was set at 15 with a “must win by two” rule in effect.
Ground rules for the Under-13 division included awarding a bonus point to teams that score on a play using a bump or hand-set leading to a spike, in addition to receiving a second opportunity upon attempting an over hand serve.
A point was credited on a play in order to receive the extra point and a second serve was only awarded if the first sailed out of bounds or into the net. Aside from the second service opportunity, the same rules applied in the Under-18 division.
Notably, all teams were required to have at least one female player remaining on the court at all times.
These free tournaments serve as a platform for the youngsters to put their skills to the test in a competitive setting. Another event is slated for next month.
NMIVA's youth training practices are open to anyone at no cost.
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- “It’s been a long season”
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”
- As the Mikasa Turns - Bansley & Pavan "split" conversation
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- TALKIN’ STATS: Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Preview
- Toronto's Tuesday Trial - Pavan’s pristine picture?
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016
- Pools and schedule outlined for Men's Club World Champs
- Trentino, UPCN and Bolivar join top teams at Men’s Club World Champs
- Lupo and Nicolai staying grounded despite Rio silver