Starting them young in the Northern Marianas Islands
Saipan, Northern Marianas Islands, November 23, 2012 – Young, up-and-coming volleyball players of the Northern Marianas Islands had an opportunity to compete at the Under-13 and Under-18 championships hosted by the Northern Marianas Islands Volleyball Association (NMIVA) last weekend.
The Northern Marianas Islands also hosted the sub-zonal phase of the AVC Beach Volleyball Continental Cup in 2011 |
Ten teams made up the Under-13 division with team Go Pro taking the title. Team Hurley, beat 14 other teams to claim the top spot in the Under-18 division.
The training tournament featured special ground rules to encourage players to use the skills learnt at weekly practice sessions.
Game point for all divisions was set at 15 with a “must win by two” rule in effect.
Ground rules for the Under-13 division included awarding a bonus point to teams that score on a play using a bump or hand-set leading to a spike, in addition to receiving a second opportunity upon attempting an over hand serve.
A point was credited on a play in order to receive the extra point and a second serve was only awarded if the first sailed out of bounds or into the net. Aside from the second service opportunity, the same rules applied in the Under-18 division.
Notably, all teams were required to have at least one female player remaining on the court at all times.
These free tournaments serve as a platform for the youngsters to put their skills to the test in a competitive setting. Another event is slated for next month.
NMIVA's youth training practices are open to anyone at no cost.
- Early pool winners at the FIVB U19 World Championships
- Big game ahead for France and Argentina in pool C
- Brazil’s Arthur and George Wanderley love the art of beach volleyball
- Women’s field set for round of 16, quarterfinals at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Men’s pool play nets 12 undefeated teams at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Early birthday present for Brazil’s Eduarda at the U19 in Porto
- World Grand Prix 'Match of the week' programme focuses on Turkey-Russia
- 1990: Last World Championship title for the Soviet Union and first for Italy
- Gamova changes her mind, joins Russian national team for World Championship
- José Jardim, a promising player on and off the sand
- Top teams on track on the opening day of the U19 World Championships
- Perfect start for German and Russian girls at the U19 in Porto
- Venezuela takes early pool lead at the U19 World Championships
- Eleven unbeaten teams in women’s main draw at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Eight teams earn men’s main draw spots at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Lucky losers from Lithuania happy with second chance at the U19 in Porto
- Statistical preview: Brazil begin quest for tenth World Grand Prix title
- FIVB Men's World Championship draws near
- Eight qualifiers and six lucky losers into U19 World Championships main draw
- Welsch/Bieneck into U19 main draw with a little help from ‘big sis’ Victoria
- Eight teams advance to women’s main draw at FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam
- Australia’s Guehrer and Hunter take first stepping-stone at U19
- Vlado Nikolov returns to the fold for World Championships
- Iconic $800,000 FIVB Klagenfurt A1 Grand Slam starts in Austria
- “Jenny” Lang Ping: a legendary wanderer between worlds
- World Grand Prix Week 2: Big twelve begin title chase
- Puerto Rico: “Soto-Man” makes experience count
- Talking Stats: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour—July 29
- Medal winners return to Porto for the U19 World Championships
- Poland, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Bulgaria assume early pool leadership in World Grand Prix
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 11 events
- Elisa Togut looks ahead to Women's World Championship
- Social Timeline: Golden fun in the Long Beach sun
- Social Timeline: New format, same excitement as 2014 Grand Prix begins
- Historic success for Mexico
- USA’s Dalhausser & Rosenthal net third 2014 World Tour gold
- Ross/Walsh Jennings capture women’s gold on home sand
- Back-to-back Larnaka gold for Poland’s Bryl and Kujawiak
- Four European teams keep spotless win-records in World Grand Prix
- Brazil to battle USA Sunday for Long Beach women’s gold
- Men’s Long Beach final between Poland, USA
- U21 World Championships in Larnaka down to last eight
- Collin cites competition
- Kenya stand as sole debutant winner on World Grand Prix opener
- Two USA duos along with Germany, Poland win quarterfinals Friday in Long Beach
- Women’s elite eight ready for quarterfinals and semis in Long Beach
- Top teams thrive at U21 World Championships
- Lima is ready for the World Grand Prix
- Akers applies authentic accentuate
- Africa Queens land in Mexico for FIVB World Grand Prix