Starting them young in the Northern Marianas Islands
Saipan, Northern Marianas Islands, November 23, 2012 – Young, up-and-coming volleyball players of the Northern Marianas Islands had an opportunity to compete at the Under-13 and Under-18 championships hosted by the Northern Marianas Islands Volleyball Association (NMIVA) last weekend.
The Northern Marianas Islands also hosted the sub-zonal phase of the AVC Beach Volleyball Continental Cup in 2011 |
Ten teams made up the Under-13 division with team Go Pro taking the title. Team Hurley, beat 14 other teams to claim the top spot in the Under-18 division.
The training tournament featured special ground rules to encourage players to use the skills learnt at weekly practice sessions.
Game point for all divisions was set at 15 with a “must win by two” rule in effect.
Ground rules for the Under-13 division included awarding a bonus point to teams that score on a play using a bump or hand-set leading to a spike, in addition to receiving a second opportunity upon attempting an over hand serve.
A point was credited on a play in order to receive the extra point and a second serve was only awarded if the first sailed out of bounds or into the net. Aside from the second service opportunity, the same rules applied in the Under-18 division.
Notably, all teams were required to have at least one female player remaining on the court at all times.
These free tournaments serve as a platform for the youngsters to put their skills to the test in a competitive setting. Another event is slated for next month.
NMIVA's youth training practices are open to anyone at no cost.
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - LIVE
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 14 events
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- First round concludes with thrilling matches across Italy
- Ma-Xia win beach volleyball gold at Asian Games
- First FIVB World Tour medal bittersweet for Italy's Menegatti/Orsi Toth
- Call brings old Brazilian friends back together on the beach
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Brazil holds off Italy to win women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Netherlands stops Brazil for men’s gold medal at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China’s Ma-Xia to face Thailand’s Udomchavee-Radarong in the final of Asian Games beach volleyball tournament
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Varenhorst calls in the Experience to FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Beach growing in the land of Volleyball
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- Brazil, Netherlands to tangle for men’s gold Sunday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- Brazil to meet Italy for women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Last-minute invite leads Popp to fifth place at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Four China teams make Asian Games beach volleyball semis
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Men’s final four set for Saturday’s semifinals at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Women’s final four set for Saturday’s semis at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Slow end doesn't dull Czech Republic's Slukova/Kolocova breakthrough year
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Twenty-four men’s duos advance from pool play Thursday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Canada's Binstock/Schachter earn memorable triple in São Paulo
- Women’s field reduced to 24 teams at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Were you at the final?
- Austria's Schwaiger on road to Rio with new teammate
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Ten unbeaten women’s teams Wednesday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Five huge surprises in men’s pool play FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam Wednesday
- Eight undefeated teams stand in good position to advance to second round after Day 2
- No second day shocks for tournament favourites
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 2 - As It Happened
- Young Brazilians pull of major upset at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam