Girls' Youth South American Volleyball Championship off to an exciting start
Lima, Peru, November 23 – Three days into the 2012 Girls' Youth South American Volleyball Championship, Brazil, Argentina, Peru and Chile have come out ahead, with all four winning their first group matches.
Defending champions Brazil, who played the opening match of the Championship, are looking to secure their eighth consecutive title|
In the opening game of the Championship, defending champions Brazil won 3-0 (25-16, 25-21, 25-19) in 1 hour and 29 minutes against Uruguay.
Argentina followed with a 25-11, 25-9, 25-14 win against Venezuela in a game that took 1h and 2 minutes to complete.
The home team, Peru, beat Paraguay with a straight-set win (25-6, 25-11, 25-21) in 1 hour and 13 minutes. Peruvian team captain Angela Leyva was the top scorer of the match with 17 points.
In what was touted as the most exciting match, Chile secured a win against Colombia in a 25-22, 25-17, 23-25, 25-17 victory lasting 1 hour and 52 minutes. Coach Hugo Jauregui of Chile was happy with the result, saying, "We played very well in the four sets, even in the one we lost. The players showed great courage and attitude against a tough team."
The eight participating countries are divided into two groups. Group A comprises home team Peru, along with Chile, Colombia and Paraguay. Group B includes reigning champions Brazil as well as Argentina, Uruguay and Venezuela.
The 2012 Girls’ Youth South American Volleyball Championship, which began on November 20 in Lima, Peru is the 18th edition of the Championship organised by the Confederacion Sudamericana de Voleibol (CSV). The Championship will run until November 27 and the top three teams of the tournament will qualify for the Girls' U18 World Championship to be held in Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand next year.
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro wins battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcomes Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers