South American Youth Championships start in Chile
Santiago, Chile, November 8, 2012 – Nine teams are ready to play the South American Youth Boys’ Championship for their chance to qualify for one of the three South American berths in the 2013 FIVB Boys’ U19 World Championship in Mexico. The competition started Wednesday in the city of Santiago, Chile, at the Olympic Training Centre.
Argentina started with their free day - they play Paraguay on November 8 and Colombia on November 9|
While Argentina’s youth boys’ team coached by Julian Alvarez will try to maintain their first place in the CSV ranking, some other teams are looking forward to the first World Championship qualification in their history.
The countries participating in this 17th edition of the South American championship are Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Peru, Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia and Venezuela, in addition to Argentina. Alvarez’s team are in Pool B, together with Colombia and Paraguay, in a competition of nine teams divided into three pools of three teams each.
Following a new playing formula decided by the South American Confederation, Chile head Pool A as the home team, together with Peru and Uruguay. Brazil, Venezuela and Bolivia form Pool C. This is the first time a Bolivian youth team has ever participated in the continental competition.
Each team has two games and one free day in the three-day preliminary round.
The top teams from each of the three pools and the best second-place team will qualify directly for the semifinals, which will take place Saturday, November 10. The semifinal winners will qualify for the first two tickets to Mexico, and the bronze medal match on Sunday will determine the third team to join them. The Brazil boys’ team, coached by Percy Oncken, are trying to earn their 15th continental title, but Argentina has won the last two editions of the South American Youth's Boys Championship – in Poços de Caldas, Brazil, in 2008 and in La Guaira, Venezuela, in 2010.
- Women’s Qualifier Opens Gstaad Major
- Egypt celebrates major triumph for African volleyball
- 360° images recreate finals magic
- Agatha and Barbara top rankings after Netherlands heroics
- Brazil dominates podium in The Hague
- FIVB World Tour resumes in Switzerland at Swatch FIVB Gstaad Major
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update following
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships the Netherlands 2015
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event