Africa getting ready for an age group revolution
Cairo, Egypt, November 8, 2012 – African volleyball is now preparing for a big revolution among young players. The African Volleyball Confederation (CAVB) will soon have the new strategy for the age group championships that act as qualifiers for the FIVB World Championships in 2013.
Tunisia's junior men's team qualified for the 2011 Junior World Championships and made the trip to Brazil - CAVB aims to send more African teams to such competitions|
The new system of the age category competitions is aiming to attract the maximum number of participating teams from the whole continent through zonal qualifications for the four competitions; the men's and women's juniors, and boys’ and girls’ youth.
The CAVB Sports Organising commission (SOC) will have meeting in Cairo on November 14 and 15 to put the finishing touches on the new format needed and to activate National Federation (NF) interest in these kinds of competition which constitute the real future of African volleyball.
“We have to work hard to use the new advantages given by the FIVB through increases in the number of African berths at all the age category world championships,” CAVB President Dr Amr Elwani said. “We need to see all the affiliated NFs participating in these zonal qualifications because this will increase the local authority interest in the sport and take care of the grass roots.”
The World volleyball governing body, or FIVB, increased the African slots at all the age category World Championships to four berths at both the men’s junior and boys’ youth competitions and three at both women’s junior and girls’ youth.
The history of African volleyball has shown that the age group competition attracts the least attention from the NFs, in terms of the number of the participating teams at the biennial competitions. Now CAvb’S Aim is to increase the number of these teams at the finals and make participation available to everyone through the zonal qualifications which ensure the least cost to the NFs. Each qualification will take into consideration the geographical locations of participants and make sure it’s possible for teams to do all their travelling by road.
The new system will guarantee the qualification of 16 teams to the finals. Of these, 12 will qualify through the zones to join the top three teams from the last competition and the host of the competition.
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday
- Amiable Apeldoorn absolutely awesome area for elimination rounds
- Paraguay's Michelle/Filippo incredible experience in Apeldoorn
- Juliana and Larissa set up Amsterdam showdown
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Three Dutch men’s teams advance to elimination rounds
- Artacho and Laird out to cause an upset in Amsterdam
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 5
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 5 - Day 5 As It Happened