Africa getting ready for an age group revolution
Cairo, Egypt, November 8, 2012 – African volleyball is now preparing for a big revolution among young players. The African Volleyball Confederation (CAVB) will soon have the new strategy for the age group championships that act as qualifiers for the FIVB World Championships in 2013.
Tunisia's junior men's team qualified for the 2011 Junior World Championships and made the trip to Brazil - CAVB aims to send more African teams to such competitions|
The new system of the age category competitions is aiming to attract the maximum number of participating teams from the whole continent through zonal qualifications for the four competitions; the men's and women's juniors, and boys’ and girls’ youth.
The CAVB Sports Organising commission (SOC) will have meeting in Cairo on November 14 and 15 to put the finishing touches on the new format needed and to activate National Federation (NF) interest in these kinds of competition which constitute the real future of African volleyball.
“We have to work hard to use the new advantages given by the FIVB through increases in the number of African berths at all the age category world championships,” CAVB President Dr Amr Elwani said. “We need to see all the affiliated NFs participating in these zonal qualifications because this will increase the local authority interest in the sport and take care of the grass roots.”
The World volleyball governing body, or FIVB, increased the African slots at all the age category World Championships to four berths at both the men’s junior and boys’ youth competitions and three at both women’s junior and girls’ youth.
The history of African volleyball has shown that the age group competition attracts the least attention from the NFs, in terms of the number of the participating teams at the biennial competitions. Now CAvb’S Aim is to increase the number of these teams at the finals and make participation available to everyone through the zonal qualifications which ensure the least cost to the NFs. Each qualification will take into consideration the geographical locations of participants and make sure it’s possible for teams to do all their travelling by road.
The new system will guarantee the qualification of 16 teams to the finals. Of these, 12 will qualify through the zones to join the top three teams from the last competition and the host of the competition.
- The Duke holds court at volleyball training session
- Watch: Highlights of 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Draw
- Legendary coach Karpol visits FIVB
- Germany ready to battle for ticket to 2014 World Champs
- And the countdown begins to the Durban Open
- Ghana, Nigeria in final phase of Women's World Championship qualification
- Record 28 teams for 2014 World Grand Prix
- Celebrating Czech Republic's 'Mini volleyball in colours'
- Mini volleyball fever takes hold of Palestine
- World League expands to 28 countries
- VIS seminar concludes in Trinidad and Tobago
- Rwanda, Kenya join Egypt to World Champs final qualification phase
- World Tour Council meets in Lausanne
- Egypt claim gold at World Champs zone 5 qualifier
- Talita and Lima confirmed as women’s rankings champs
- Alison and Emanuel announce split
- 5 teams share immaculate record after CEV Champions League third round comes to a close
- Egypt continue with another win as Rwanda edge Kenya in World Champs qualifier
- Jamaicans Hutchinson, Bryan book China ticket in style
- Trinidadian girls Ward, Davidson seal Youth Olympic spot
- Fruitful meeting for Beach Volleyball Commission
- Yet another successful year for Brazil's VivaVolei festival
- Beach Volleyball tour starts in Sierra Leone
- Impressive 56-54 set score at Korean V-League match
- Jamaica, Barbados surprise top teams for China chance
- Watch: The best of 2013 FIVB World Tour now online
- Egypt lead with second victory as Uganda register first win in World Champs qualifier
- Russian dominance ends as Brazil back at number one
- Level II coaches course gets underway in Mauritius
- One step forward for beach volleyball in Indonesia
- Egypt struggle past Kenya as Rwanda ease past Burundi in World Champs qualifier
- FIVB flourishes on Chinese social media
- Zorzi evaluates World Grand Champions Cup performances
- Volleyball workshop boosts sport in Palestine
- Media accreditation reminder for Durban Open
- Trinidad & Tobago host successful setter seminar
- Brazil win fourth World Grand Champions Cup title, Russia and Italy settle for silver and bronze
- Brazil, Russia, Italy all have a shot at Grand Champions Cup gold before last round
- With third straight victory Brazil cement their leadership at Men’s Grand Champions Cup
- Fans flock to FIVB's YouTube following historic Thailand win
- Coaches look forward to another three days of world-class volleyball
- Natalie Cook: "I'm looking forward to 2014 and beyond"
- Andrea Zorzi: 'Size and height aren’t Japan’s only problem'
- Afghanistan gives beach volleyball a jump-start
- Brazil only team with two victories as Grand Champions Cup moves to Tokyo
- Team Japan’s improvement will take time says former volleyball star Motoko Obayashi
- Iran captain says mentality has changed dramatically under Velasco’s leadership
- Andrea Zorzi reviews World Grand Champions Cup opening day
- FIVB and Rio 2016 collaborate to ensure spectacular Olympic Games
- Italy, Brazil, USA all start Men’s Grand Champions Cup on a high note