China's Zhang/Xue clinch Asian women's gold, Vanuatu's Iatika/Elwin take silver
Haikou, China, November 4, 2012 – China’s Zhang Xi and Xue Chen claimed their fourth AVC Championship title on Sunday in the beautiful Holiday beach at Haikou, China, despite the strong wind and occasional showers.
Zhang/Xue recovered from a poor semifinal performance to take the gold in straight sets|
In the first ever China v Vanuatu final in women’s AVC Beach Volleyball Championship history, they beat Henriette Iatika and Miller Elwin in two sets (21-14, 21-15).
The Vanuatu team, who claimed gold in the 2012 Seoul Challenger this year and finished ninth at the Bangsaen Thailand Open, did not get a lot of chances against the experienced Chinese. They trailed the whole first set, had a slim lead in the second set but gave that away again quickly. Nevertheless, they still made history as the first silver medallists for Vanuatu in the AVC Beach Volleyball Championship. Their success in the last three years has displayed the enormous development that has been achieved on the Pacific archipelago.
“We were desperate to win here,” said Zhang. “As you know, we were not able to get any medal in the London Olympic Games. This Championship is the last tournament of the year and we won gold here every year and we save it till the very end.”
“It was tough, we fought against the weather here and Zhang Xi had some pains in her back,” said Xue. “We reached the final the hard way and, as you noticed, we played really bad this morning and I even feel ashamed of the performance this morning, but we did it.”
Xue dedicated her medal to her mother, with whom she is going on vacation starting next Monday.
The battle for the bronze medal was more exciting, with great rallies and excellent defence by both teams. Bronze medallists at the 2012 FIVB World Junior Championship, Aussies Mariafe Artacho and Taliqua Clancy lost the first set to Yue Yuan and Ma Yuanyuan of China 14-21, but came back in the second set 21-12. In the tiebreaker, the Chinese team, who were cheered on by local fans, took the lead again. With some fumbling and stumbling, Yue Yuan and Ma Yuanyuan managed to win the tiebreak 15-9.
“We were really tense in the second set,” Ma Yuanyuan said. “But in the beginning of the third we said: ‘let’s just enjoy all this’.”
Yue Yuan said: “We decided to let every point count, get the ball over the net any way we could. And finally some crazy things started to happen. Although I was still regret about the semi-final in the morning, we were almost there.”
The Chinese duo had lost to top seeded Zhang/Xue earlier that morning in the semifinal, in a tiebreaker (21-12, 16-21, 13-15). After smashing the defending champions in the first set, Yue Yuan and Ma Yuanyuan became too eager to win. Their inexperience cost them the match.
This is the best result Yue Yuan/Ma Yuanyuan have had since they began their partnership in June.
The 2012 AVC Beach Volleyball Championship was the final event on the Women’s 2012 AVC Beach Tour calendar.
1. Zhang/Xue (China)
2. Iatika/Elwin (Vanuatu)
3. Yue Yuan/Ma Yuanyuan (China)
4. Artacho/Clancy (Australia)
5. Ayumi Kusano/ Sayaka Mizoe (Japan)
Tatyana Mashkova/Irina Tsimbalova (Kazakhstan)
Jarunee Sannok /Usa Tenpakseee (Thailand)
Tanarattha Udomchavee and Varapatsorn Radarong (Thailand)
9. Huang Chunmei/Li Ying Li ( China)
Chui Yi Lo/Hing Ming Chan (Hong Kong)
Yuen Mei Wong/Tin Lai NG (Hong Kong)
Sai Feng Hui/Huang ZiI HUI (Singapore)
Tan Shiang Theng/Chleo Gabrielle Gomes (Singapore)
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win