Pre-favorites in full swing after two rounds are completed in CEV Volleyball Champions League
Luxembourg, November 5, 2012 - The first couple of rounds are completed in the 2013 CEV Volleyball Champions League and although a few surprises were registered, the favorites of the various preliminary groups immediately set the tone of their campaign with a series of classy performances.
Belgium's Noliko Maaseik is one of the clubs with a perfect record after two rounds in Europe's elite club competition |
In the men’s competition, 10 teams have a perfect record after scoring convincing wins in the first two legs and bringing home six points to top their respective Pools.
Russia’s Zenit Kazan and Lokomotiv Novosibirsk (in Pools A and B, respectively), Italy’s Trentino Diatec (four-time club world champions) and Poland’s Zaksa Kedzierzyn-Kozle (Pool C), Lube Banca Marche Macerata of Italy (Pool D), Dinamo Moscow of Russia and Poland’s PGE Skra Belchatow (Pool E), plus Noliko Maaseik of Belgium (Pool F), Italy’s Bre Banca Lannutti Cuneo and Asseco Resovia Rzeszow of Poland (Pool G), have all easily disposed of their opponents.
The next rounds of play – the third leg is scheduled for next week – will further clarify the situation in the various groups where a tough battle is expected. Only the first-ranked teams are assured a spot for the Playoffs.
In the women’s competition, the only major sensation was produced by Schweriner SC. The side from Germany earned a memorable 3-2 home win in the first round of play to edge last year’s bronze medallists, Dinamo Kazan.
Turkey seems to be a major force to reckon with, as Eczacibasi VitrA, Vakifbank and rookie Galatasaray Daikin are all sitting atop their pools with six points after two rounds of play. A similar performance was recorded by Rabita Baku, with the silver medallists from the 2012 FIVB Club World Championship topping the table in Pool B while two 'outsiders', namely debutantes 2004 Tomis Constanta and Lokomotiv Baku, are setting the pace in Pools E and F, respectively. The battle for the Playoffs will continue next week with leg three and provide the first hints – halfway through the League Round – of which teams are most likely to make it to the knockout stage.
For further information visit www.cev.lu
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday
- Amiable Apeldoorn absolutely awesome area for elimination rounds
- Paraguay's Michelle/Filippo incredible experience in Apeldoorn
- Juliana and Larissa set up Amsterdam showdown
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Three Dutch men’s teams advance to elimination rounds
- Artacho and Laird out to cause an upset in Amsterdam
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 5
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 5 - Day 5 As It Happened