VCP teachers’ course completed in Haiti despite interruption from Hurricane Sandy
Port-au-Prince, Haiti, November 1, 2012 – A course attended by 31 teachers and coaches was held in Port-au-Prince, Haiti from October 22 to 28 under the guidance of French expert André Glaive. This was Glaive’s third visit to Haiti in the last two years, and he is still amazed at the determination and dedication of the country’s volleyball community in the face of massive challenges.
Only one day of sessions had to be cancelled due to Hurricane Sandy; participants were eager to start again the next morning|
Even the passage of Hurricane Sandy didn’t discourage the participants from completing the course. Only one day of sessions had to be cancelled, and everyone was ready to start again the morning after.
“The classes were being held outdoors, so [because of the weather] the federation president was able to get us into a gymnasium that was unfinished but had a roof,” said Glaive. “We finished our sessions on a bare concrete floor.”
Participants were given courses on general coaching principles, teams and formations, planning training programmes, teaching basic techniques, observing players and using statistics. They were also taught about scenarios for attack, defence, counter-attack, free-ball situations and defensive organisation.
There were also special sessions on topics specific to women’s volleyball and adapting physical training to the situation in Haiti – participants were given the opportunity to observe both the men’s and women’s national teams in training.
The president of the Haitian federation, Margarette Graham, has been steadily advancing a long-term volleyball development programme there in spite of the challenging situation, and this is part of what has drawn Glaive there regularly in recent years.
“When you see the determination of the president and her colleagues to develop volleyball in their country despite the disasters that accumulate, when you see that the will and the motivation are there, we must support their activities and help pursue this enormous task,” said Glaive.
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday
- Amiable Apeldoorn absolutely awesome area for elimination rounds
- Paraguay's Michelle/Filippo incredible experience in Apeldoorn
- Juliana and Larissa set up Amsterdam showdown
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Three Dutch men’s teams advance to elimination rounds
- Artacho and Laird out to cause an upset in Amsterdam
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 5
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 5 - Day 5 As It Happened
- World champs has huge social media impact