Bangsaen set to host women’s 2012 World Tour finale
Bangsaen, Thailand, October 21, 2012 – A total of 49 teams from 20 different countries will be competing this week in beautiful Bangsaen, a beach resort located about 85 kilometres southwest from Thailand’s capital Bangkok. The Bangsaen Thailand Open powered by PTT is the final event on the women’s 2012 FIVB Beach Volleyball SWATCH World Tour.
USA's Jennifer Kessy and April Ross won the Thailand Open in 2008 and 2009 and finished second last year|
Bangsaen will host the FIVB SWATCH World Tour for the first time. Since 2006 the women’s only event was held at Phuket. Teams from China have won the Phuket title twice while the USA claimed four.
Leading the field in Thailand this year are Larissa França and Juliana Felisberta da Silva, recently crowned as 2012 World Tour champions. Their debut on the Thai sand, missing out on the previous six editions, will also be their last event together, as the Brazilian duo decided to split after nine successful years.
The 2012 olympic bronze medallists will compete for the Bangsaen title with top teams like Jennifer Kessy and April Ross. The American pair claimed silver at the 2012 London Olympic Games and were successful before in Thailand. Kessy and Ross won the Phuket event in 2008 and 2009 and finished second last year.
Other contenders are third seeded Katrin Holtwick and Ilka Semmler. The German girls have shown good form lately, finishing third in Stare Jablonki in August and claiming their first World Tour gold in Aland in September. Holtwick was voted most outstanding player in Stare Jablonki while Semmler was honoured with this title in Finland.
Second seeded Simone Kuhn and Nadine Zumkehr are also set for a medal in Bangsaen. Since 32-year-old Kuhn is retiring after this season she would want to give her long time partner Nadine Zumkehr a nice farewell present.
Thailand’s hopes for a medal are Varapatsorn Radarong and Tanarattha Udomchavee. Varapatsorn finished 13th last year with Kamoltip Kulna, the best result ever for a Thai team on the World Tour. This year Radarong and Udomchavee booked some promising results in Asia, winning three legs of the Asian Tour and gold at the Asian Beach Games.
The main draw of the $190.000 Bangsaen Thailand Open powered by PTT starts on Thursday October 25. The semifinals are scheduled for Saturday, followed by the televised bronze medal match and final on Sunday. Last year China’s Chen Xue/Zhang Xi beat USA’s Kessy/Ross in the final. Italy’s Greta Cicolari/Marta Menegatti took the bronze over Australia’s Louise Bawden/Becchara Palmer.
The Bangsaen Thailand Open is the 12th and final women’s event on the 2012 World Tour calendar. The men already finished the season in August in Stare Jablonki, Poland, where USA’s Jake Gibb and Sean Rosenthal claimed the men’s 2012 World Tour Championship.
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball Media Guide now available
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship