DOL provides exciting preliminary phase of women's European Championship
Zurich, Switzerland, October 6, 2012 - The Drawing of Lots for the final round of the 2013 CEV Volleyball European Championship – Women (September 6-14) was held on Friday in Zurich.
The 16 teams participating in the final round of the women's European Championship were distributed across four preliminary Pools of four each |
The hosts of Germany and Switzerland were assigned to two preliminary Pools that are certainly going to provide all Volleyball fans with the right thrills right from the start of the Championship. Germany will be confronted in Halle/Westphalen with 2011 bronze medalists Turkey, Spain and the Netherlands while Switzerland will play in Zurich the 2007 and 2009 European champions of Italy, plus Belgium and the winner of the third qualification round starring France and Ukraine. The 2010 world champions of Russia will play in Dresden and have Azerbaijan as their toughest competitor while Pool D – headed by Poland and set to take place in Schwerin – includes also the 2011 gold medalists of Serbia.
The composition of the preliminary Pools reads as follows:
Pool A in Halle/Westphalen: Germany, Turkey, Spain, Netherlands
Pool B in Zurich: Switzerland, Italy, Belgium, Ukraine/France
Pool C in Dresden: Russia, Azerbaijan, Croatia, Belarus/Slovakia
Pool D in Schwerin: Poland, Serbia, Bulgaria, Romania/Czech Republic
The teams were drawn at “Sonnenberg Convention Centre” in Zurich by football star Inka Grings, a former member of Germany’s national team who currently plays for FC Zurich as CEV President André Meyer was in attendance together with CEV Vice President and Jury President Jan Hronek and representatives of the participating teams as well as of the hosting countries and cities.
“We were assigned to a tough Pool; last year we made it to the final match and we’ll see what we can achieve as we play in front of our fans” said German captain Margareta Anna Kozuch.
“I am happy with the result of the DOL and can’t wait to play the European Championship here in Zurich” stressed Swiss national player Kristel Marbach.
As already pre-announced, Germany, Switzerland, Russia and Poland were set as Pool headers and after that the draw performed by ESOC President Pierre Mulheims followed. The starting field will be completed next June via the third qualification round starring a series of home and away matches that will assign the last three spots available for the competition.
The winners of the four preliminary Pools advance directly to the 1/4 finals scheduled for September 11 to play there the winners of the Playoffs starring the second and third ranked teams of the various groups. The Playoffs and 1/4 finals will take place in Halle/Westphalen and Zurich while semis and finals, scheduled for September 13-14, will be hosted in the splendid scenario of the Max-Schmeling-Halle in Berlin, where Europe’s Volleyball queens will be crowned.
Germany and Switzerland are co-hosting the XXVIII European Championship and this is the third in history – after 2007 and 2011 – that the women’s final round is being organized in two countries.
- TALKIN’ STATS: 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour—July 29
- Medal winners return to Porto for the U19 World Championships
- Poland, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Bulgaria assume early pool leadership in World Grand Prix
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 11 events
- Elisa Togut looks ahead to Women's World Championship
- Social Timeline: Golden fun in the Long Beach sun
- Social Timeline: New format, same excitement as 2014 Grand Prix begins
- Historic success for Mexico
- USA’s Dalhausser & Rosenthal net third 2014 World Tour gold
- Ross/Walsh Jennings capture women’s gold on home sand
- Back-to-back Larnaka gold for Poland’s Bryl and Kujawiak
- Four European teams keep spotless win-records in World Grand Prix
- Brazil to battle USA Sunday for Long Beach women’s gold
- Men’s Long Beach final between Poland, USA
- U21 World Championships in Larnaka down to last eight
- Collin cites competition
- Kenya stand as sole debutant winner on World Grand Prix opener
- Two USA duos along with Germany, Poland win quarterfinals Friday in Long Beach
- Women’s elite eight ready for quarterfinals and semis in Long Beach
- Top teams thrive at U21 World Championships
- Lima is ready for the World Grand Prix
- Akers applies authentic accentuate
- Africa Queens land in Mexico for FIVB World Grand Prix
- Mexico to stage first weekend of FIVB World Grand Prix Pool Q matches
- 24 Men’s teams set for Long Beach single-elimination rounds
- Women’s field reduced to 24 for single-elimination rounds in Long Beach
- Main draw of the FIVB U21 World Championships on its way
- Beach Volleyball under the Big “T.O.P.”
- World Grand Prix statistical preview: Brazil eye back-to-back titles
- 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Media Guide online
- Peru intensify workouts ahead of World Grand Prix
- Kazakhstan bring in experience for World Grand Prix opening weekend in Almaty
- Argentina prepare for first weekend of World Grand Prix
- Five teams make their debuts as record-breaking FIVB World Grand Prix gets underway
- World Grand Prix: Bigger and better than ever
- 1986: USA bring a halt to East European dominance
- World League's top four USA, Brazil, Italy and Iran contribute to Dream Team
- 13 Women’s duos win first two of three rounds of Pool Play Wednesday at Alamitos Beach
- Men complete first of three rounds of Pool Play at Long Beach
- Researcher reaps rewards
- Eight qualification winners and five lucky losers make it into U21 main draw
- FIVB President holds FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship talks with JVA and TBS
- “Best ever”: USA and the sport of volleyball are winners as the FIVB World League celebrates its 25th anniversary
- Italian Prime Minister attends FIVB World League Finals in Florence
- ASICS World Series of Beach Volleyball, a $1,000,000 FIVB Grand Slam in Long Beach
- Finding Stars on Alamitos Beach
- Andrea Zorzi: Speed is at the heart of modern volleyball
- World League performances reshuffle world ranking
- Algeria to host Women's U18 and U23 African Nations Championships
- Talking Stats: 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour - July 21