DOL provides exciting preliminary phase of women's European Championship
Zurich, Switzerland, October 6, 2012 - The Drawing of Lots for the final round of the 2013 CEV Volleyball European Championship – Women (September 6-14) was held on Friday in Zurich.
The 16 teams participating in the final round of the women's European Championship were distributed across four preliminary Pools of four each |
The hosts of Germany and Switzerland were assigned to two preliminary Pools that are certainly going to provide all Volleyball fans with the right thrills right from the start of the Championship. Germany will be confronted in Halle/Westphalen with 2011 bronze medalists Turkey, Spain and the Netherlands while Switzerland will play in Zurich the 2007 and 2009 European champions of Italy, plus Belgium and the winner of the third qualification round starring France and Ukraine. The 2010 world champions of Russia will play in Dresden and have Azerbaijan as their toughest competitor while Pool D – headed by Poland and set to take place in Schwerin – includes also the 2011 gold medalists of Serbia.
The composition of the preliminary Pools reads as follows:
Pool A in Halle/Westphalen: Germany, Turkey, Spain, Netherlands
Pool B in Zurich: Switzerland, Italy, Belgium, Ukraine/France
Pool C in Dresden: Russia, Azerbaijan, Croatia, Belarus/Slovakia
Pool D in Schwerin: Poland, Serbia, Bulgaria, Romania/Czech Republic
The teams were drawn at “Sonnenberg Convention Centre” in Zurich by football star Inka Grings, a former member of Germany’s national team who currently plays for FC Zurich as CEV President André Meyer was in attendance together with CEV Vice President and Jury President Jan Hronek and representatives of the participating teams as well as of the hosting countries and cities.
“We were assigned to a tough Pool; last year we made it to the final match and we’ll see what we can achieve as we play in front of our fans” said German captain Margareta Anna Kozuch.
“I am happy with the result of the DOL and can’t wait to play the European Championship here in Zurich” stressed Swiss national player Kristel Marbach.
As already pre-announced, Germany, Switzerland, Russia and Poland were set as Pool headers and after that the draw performed by ESOC President Pierre Mulheims followed. The starting field will be completed next June via the third qualification round starring a series of home and away matches that will assign the last three spots available for the competition.
The winners of the four preliminary Pools advance directly to the 1/4 finals scheduled for September 11 to play there the winners of the Playoffs starring the second and third ranked teams of the various groups. The Playoffs and 1/4 finals will take place in Halle/Westphalen and Zurich while semis and finals, scheduled for September 13-14, will be hosted in the splendid scenario of the Max-Schmeling-Halle in Berlin, where Europe’s Volleyball queens will be crowned.
Germany and Switzerland are co-hosting the XXVIII European Championship and this is the third in history – after 2007 and 2011 – that the women’s final round is being organized in two countries.
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball Media Guide now available
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship