Trentino fall to Macerata in thrilling Del Monte Cup final
Lausanne, Switzerland, October 3, 2012 – The final of the Del Monte Cup between Cucine Lube Banca Marche Macerata and Club-World Championship-bound Itas Diatec Trentino came down to a breath-taking tiebreak that Macerata finally won after two hours and fifteen minutes of play.
Macerata and Trentino are archrivals in the Italian national league|
For the defending champion Trentino team, it was a disappointing introduction to the 2012-2013 season. They were unable to establish any advantage over Macerata in the first set, losing 23-25. They took the second 25-19, but were again fought to a standstill and overcome 26-28 in the third. Trentino won the fourth set 25-20 to force the tiebreak, only to end up falling behind and losing 11-15.
"They were better than us in the loose ball situations – this has made the difference,” said Trentino coach Radostin Stoytchev. “We are a team that aims to win on all fronts and we have underestimated this opponent. We will work better and we must learn to keep our feet on the ground, recognize our weaknesses and improve."
In particular, Trentino will look to cut down on unforced errors before taking to the court in Doha.
The player of the match was Macerata’s Ivan Zaytsev, a newcomer to the team who walked away with the Del Monte MVP Cup after his first appearance with them.
“I have fun with the new module,” said Zaytsev, who was brought over from Rome for the 2012-2013 season. “I really enjoy playing this way.”
Kazan will be in Doha, Qatar for the 2012 FIVB Club World Championships
from October 13 to 19. Information about the competition is available here.
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- “It’s been a long season”
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”
- As the Mikasa Turns - Bansley & Pavan "split" conversation
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- TALKIN’ STATS: Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Preview
- Toronto's Tuesday Trial - Pavan’s pristine picture?
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016
- Pools and schedule outlined for Men's Club World Champs
- Trentino, UPCN and Bolivar join top teams at Men’s Club World Champs
- Lupo and Nicolai staying grounded despite Rio silver