Brazil wins fourth Pan Am Games gold medal
Guadalajara, Mexico, October 20, 2011 – Brazil won its fourth Pan American Games gold medal in women’s volleyball tournament on Thursday after edging Cuba 3-2 (25-15, 21-25, 25-21, 21-25, 15-10) in a thrilling final played in front of a packed house at Avila Camacho Sport Complex in Guadalajara, Mexico.
Brazil celebrate their gold medal after disposing of Cuba in five sets in Guadalajara, Mexico on Thursday|
The South American side had also claimed the title in the editions of 1959, 1963 and 1999 in Chicago, Sao Paulo and Winnipeg respectively. For the eight-time champions Cuba it was it’s a third silver medal in the history of the event.
The victory proved to be revenge for the Brazilian squad who lost to Cuba, also in five sets, four years ago.
“By winning the Pan American Games gold medal we did something important for our country and for this generation of players,” coach Jose Roberto Guimaraes said. “It was a very tough match against a Cuban team that played very good.”
“Cuba is a very young team that must improve its game for the Olympic Games,” he added. “We lost the fourth set but in the tie-break everything worked since the very beginning. The most important thing is that this was a team victory.”
Sheila Castro and Mari Steinbrecher each contributed 15 points to the victory while Fabiana Claudino added 13. Paula Pequeno and Fernanda Rodrigues scored 11 apiece as the other two players to reach double figures.
Cuba’s Yoana Palacios and Kenia Carcaces each scored 18 points while Yusidey Silie and Ana Cleger added 12 and 10 respectively.
“Brazil is a great team and we went out to defend the crown we won four years ago,” Cuba’s Juan Carlos Gala said. “We had said that we would battle point by point and we did it. This experience will help us to see what we need to improve. Our team could recover after a tough start. I am happy with this medal, is a silver medal that tastes like gold because I saw a very young team that played a wonderful match.”
USA v Dominican Republic
The United States defeated the Dominican Republic 3-1 (23-25, 25-16, 25-20, 25-19) to claim bronze medal as their effective blocking helped them seal a place on the podium. They scored 22 points with at the net, including seven from Jessica Jones. Cynthia Barboza led the winning side with 23 points while Lauren Gibbemeyer added 16 with five blocks. Angela Forsett and Jones registered 15 and 12 respectively. Dominican Republic’s Bethania De la Cruz had a match-high 26 points while Prisilla Rovera and Lisvel Eve added 15 and 11 respectively.
Puerto Rico v Peru
Puerto Rico defeated Peru in straight sets (25-23, 25-20, 25-19) in the match for fifth place. Sarai Alvarez and Aury Cruz were the most outstanding scorers for Puerto Rico with 18 and 14 points respectively with Cruz recording three aces. Peru’s Carla Rueda registered 14 points while Claivett Yllescas and Patricia Soto charted 11 and 10.
Canada v Mexico
Tammy Mahon scored 24 points to lead Canada to a 3-1 (19-25, 25-17, 26-24, 25-15) victory over Mexico in the match for seventh place. Elizabeth Cordonier and Sherline Holness added 14 and 13 points for a Canadian team that held a 15-5 advantage in blocks. Mexico’s Andrea Rangel had 22 points and Samantha Bricio contributed 10.
MVP: Yoana Palacios (CUB); Best Scorer: Bethania De la Cruz (DOM); Best Spiker: Yoana Palacios (CUB); Best Blocker: Lauren Gibbemeyer (USA); Best Server: Gyselle Silva (CUB); Best Setter: Danielle Lins (BRA); Best Receiver: Brenda Castillo (DOM); Best Digger: Brenda Castillo (DOM); Best Libero: Brenda Castillo (DOM).
1, Brazil, 2. Cuba, 3. United States, 4. Dominican Republic, 5. Puerto Rico, 6. Peru, 7. Canada. 8. Mexico.
- Birarelli eyes successful Club World Championship comeback
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball Media Guide now available
- Tianjin, Taipei enjoy second win in Asian Women’s Club Volleyball Championship
- Top players on form for clubs ahead of World League
- Tsvetan Sokolov dreams of becoming Bulgaria's champion with Marek one day
- Venezuelans back in tandem for Fuzhou Open
- Favourites have field day at Asia Volleyball Women’s Club Championship
- Makowski announces Polish 22 player roster for the year ahead
- Thailand and Iraq claim gold at latest Asian Beach Volleyball Tour event
- VolleyWorld reflects on a truly Italian affair with the Women’s World Championship Drawing of Lots
- England looks forward to hosting CEV Continental Cup tournament
- "ThrowbackThursday" recognizes anniversary of FIVB Constitutional Congress
- Poland announces men’s national team roster for 2014 season
- Wallace boosts Sada Cruzeiro ahead of Club World Championship
- FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
- Kids Beach Festival praised as fantastic experience
- Matin Varamin claim Asian Club Championship title, ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Baic Motor claim third spot with win over Kondensat-Zhaikmunay at Asian Men’s Club Championhip
- Beach Volleyball Seminar sets scene for season ahead
- Chinese Taipei finish fifth, host place seventh at Asian Men’s Club Championship
- Sierra Leone men and Rwanda women top podium of African qualifiers for Youth Olympic Games
- Al-Rayyan, Matin Varamin in finals of Asian Club Championship for ticket to FIVB Men's Club Championship
- Alison and Bruno continue impressive form
- FIVB World Tour champs hitting top form
- Sada Cruzeiro take Superliga title on their way to Club World Championship in May
- Serbian Beach Volleyball duo to celebrate FIVB Grand Slam debut in Shanghai
- Chinese Taipei, Iraq's South Gas Club Sports to fight for fifth place of Asian Men’s Club Champs
- Organisers of Moscow Grand Slam unveil plans for a memorable 2014 edition
- Kovac looking forward to getting to grips with Iranian national team
- Kondensat-Zhaikmunay, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor cruise to semis of Asian club championship
- Argentina and Chile take gold in Tucuman stop of South American Beach Tour
- Zurich glory for Swiss and German duos
- Match times announced for FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship first round
- CEV President signs agreement with Danish Federation to establish Europe’s fifth Regional Volleyball Development Centre
- Field takes shape as more teams book ticket to Youth Olympic Games
- Watch skilled young athletes and training videos on FIVB Development YouTube
- Puerto Rican and American boys ticketed to Nanjing
- Puerto Rican and Canadian girls grab spots to Nanjing
- Top New Zealand pair out to boost beach volleyball’s profile before taking on world
- Volero Zurich leads national teams, as preparations begin for FIVB Women's Club Championship
- American duo breezes past opponents in day one in Carolina
- Canadian twins steal the show in Carolina
- South Gas Club Sports, Matin Varamin, Al-Rayyan, Baic Motor top their pools in Asian Club preliminary round
- Aussie pair takes important first step before FIVB World Tour
- Qatar, Vanuatu share honours at Khanom Asian Beach Volleyball Tour
- Al-Rayyan on course to a clean sweep in the preliminaries
- Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Qatar, China clubs remain unbeaten after Day 3 of Asian Men's Club Volleyball Championship
- FIVB stars on show as Swiss Tour gets underway
- Lases Cup comes to another successful end in Latvia
- Iran's Matin Varamin overcome Oita Miyoshi Weisse Adler at Asian Men’s Club Championship