Brazil wins fourth Pan Am Games gold medal
Guadalajara, Mexico, October 20, 2011 – Brazil won its fourth Pan American Games gold medal in women’s volleyball tournament on Thursday after edging Cuba 3-2 (25-15, 21-25, 25-21, 21-25, 15-10) in a thrilling final played in front of a packed house at Avila Camacho Sport Complex in Guadalajara, Mexico.
Brazil celebrate their gold medal after disposing of Cuba in five sets in Guadalajara, Mexico on Thursday|
The South American side had also claimed the title in the editions of 1959, 1963 and 1999 in Chicago, Sao Paulo and Winnipeg respectively. For the eight-time champions Cuba it was it’s a third silver medal in the history of the event.
The victory proved to be revenge for the Brazilian squad who lost to Cuba, also in five sets, four years ago.
“By winning the Pan American Games gold medal we did something important for our country and for this generation of players,” coach Jose Roberto Guimaraes said. “It was a very tough match against a Cuban team that played very good.”
“Cuba is a very young team that must improve its game for the Olympic Games,” he added. “We lost the fourth set but in the tie-break everything worked since the very beginning. The most important thing is that this was a team victory.”
Sheila Castro and Mari Steinbrecher each contributed 15 points to the victory while Fabiana Claudino added 13. Paula Pequeno and Fernanda Rodrigues scored 11 apiece as the other two players to reach double figures.
Cuba’s Yoana Palacios and Kenia Carcaces each scored 18 points while Yusidey Silie and Ana Cleger added 12 and 10 respectively.
“Brazil is a great team and we went out to defend the crown we won four years ago,” Cuba’s Juan Carlos Gala said. “We had said that we would battle point by point and we did it. This experience will help us to see what we need to improve. Our team could recover after a tough start. I am happy with this medal, is a silver medal that tastes like gold because I saw a very young team that played a wonderful match.”
USA v Dominican Republic
The United States defeated the Dominican Republic 3-1 (23-25, 25-16, 25-20, 25-19) to claim bronze medal as their effective blocking helped them seal a place on the podium. They scored 22 points with at the net, including seven from Jessica Jones. Cynthia Barboza led the winning side with 23 points while Lauren Gibbemeyer added 16 with five blocks. Angela Forsett and Jones registered 15 and 12 respectively. Dominican Republic’s Bethania De la Cruz had a match-high 26 points while Prisilla Rovera and Lisvel Eve added 15 and 11 respectively.
Puerto Rico v Peru
Puerto Rico defeated Peru in straight sets (25-23, 25-20, 25-19) in the match for fifth place. Sarai Alvarez and Aury Cruz were the most outstanding scorers for Puerto Rico with 18 and 14 points respectively with Cruz recording three aces. Peru’s Carla Rueda registered 14 points while Claivett Yllescas and Patricia Soto charted 11 and 10.
Canada v Mexico
Tammy Mahon scored 24 points to lead Canada to a 3-1 (19-25, 25-17, 26-24, 25-15) victory over Mexico in the match for seventh place. Elizabeth Cordonier and Sherline Holness added 14 and 13 points for a Canadian team that held a 15-5 advantage in blocks. Mexico’s Andrea Rangel had 22 points and Samantha Bricio contributed 10.
MVP: Yoana Palacios (CUB); Best Scorer: Bethania De la Cruz (DOM); Best Spiker: Yoana Palacios (CUB); Best Blocker: Lauren Gibbemeyer (USA); Best Server: Gyselle Silva (CUB); Best Setter: Danielle Lins (BRA); Best Receiver: Brenda Castillo (DOM); Best Digger: Brenda Castillo (DOM); Best Libero: Brenda Castillo (DOM).
1, Brazil, 2. Cuba, 3. United States, 4. Dominican Republic, 5. Puerto Rico, 6. Peru, 7. Canada. 8. Mexico.
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament