Mexico and Puerto Rico capture gold medals in Rosarito
Baja California, Mexico, September 18, 2011 - The Mexico’s Olympic duo of Mayra Garcia and Bibiana Candelas and Puerto Rico’s Christopher Underwood and Roberto Rodriguez won the gold medals in the double gender NORCECA Beach Volleyball Circuit at Playas Rosarito.
Mexico's Bibi Candelas and Mayra Garcia top the podium at Rosarito Beach Volleyball Tournament part of NORCECA Circuit|
In the women’s competition, Garcia and Candelas defeated the Mexico-2 team of Martha Revuelta and Vanessa Virgen in straight sets (25-23, 21-17) while Underwood and Rodriguez edged Mexico’s Aldo Miramontes and Juan Virgen 2-1 (21-15, 18-21, 15-11) to claim the title.
The United States teams finished with bronze medals after winning Men’s and Women’s third place matches. Andrew Mcguire and Avery Drost defeated Guatemala’s Andy Blanco and Erick Garrido 2-0 (21-13, 21-14) while Kelly Schumacher and Angela Bryan defeated Susana Alvarado and Lourdes Ramirez of Guatemala 2-0 (21-17, 21-16).
For the Puerto Rican duo, winning a gold medal in Baja had a special feeling, because Underwood and Rodriguez had struggled a lot in previous matches against Miramontes and Virgen.
“We have worked hard and waited so long for this moment, and fortunately we made just a few mistakes”, said both players after the final match.
In the case of García, she won her third crown at home along with Candelas.
“We are very happy for this result, now we have to keep working hard for our near future”, said Garcia who is preparing with her partner for the Pan American Games.
- Buenos Aires to welcome Volleyball Your Way festival
- Preparations in full swing at PSL Manila
- Galaxy of Olympic stars in 2016-17 Brazil Superleagues
- Brilliant Barbara, Fabulous Fernanda newest Brazilian beach duo
- Iran, China to clash in final of Men's AVC Cup
- Olympic champs Ludwig and Walkenhorst aiming for new heights
- Iran, Japan, China, Chinese Taipei reach AVC Cup semifinals
- 2017 World League Finals bidding process launched
- Angela Leyva in rising orbit ahead of 2017 World Grand Prix Group 2
- Ricardo and Andre win Brazil Tour opener
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?