Mexico and Puerto Rico capture gold medals in Rosarito
Baja California, Mexico, September 18, 2011 - The Mexico’s Olympic duo of Mayra Garcia and Bibiana Candelas and Puerto Rico’s Christopher Underwood and Roberto Rodriguez won the gold medals in the double gender NORCECA Beach Volleyball Circuit at Playas Rosarito.
Mexico's Bibi Candelas and Mayra Garcia top the podium at Rosarito Beach Volleyball Tournament part of NORCECA Circuit|
In the women’s competition, Garcia and Candelas defeated the Mexico-2 team of Martha Revuelta and Vanessa Virgen in straight sets (25-23, 21-17) while Underwood and Rodriguez edged Mexico’s Aldo Miramontes and Juan Virgen 2-1 (21-15, 18-21, 15-11) to claim the title.
The United States teams finished with bronze medals after winning Men’s and Women’s third place matches. Andrew Mcguire and Avery Drost defeated Guatemala’s Andy Blanco and Erick Garrido 2-0 (21-13, 21-14) while Kelly Schumacher and Angela Bryan defeated Susana Alvarado and Lourdes Ramirez of Guatemala 2-0 (21-17, 21-16).
For the Puerto Rican duo, winning a gold medal in Baja had a special feeling, because Underwood and Rodriguez had struggled a lot in previous matches against Miramontes and Virgen.
“We have worked hard and waited so long for this moment, and fortunately we made just a few mistakes”, said both players after the final match.
In the case of García, she won her third crown at home along with Candelas.
“We are very happy for this result, now we have to keep working hard for our near future”, said Garcia who is preparing with her partner for the Pan American Games.
- Leaders maintain edge after second round opens
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 9 - As It Happened
- USA continue their winning streak to stay on full points at 2014 Women’s World Champs
- Talking Stats: 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour - Oct 1
- Second round has arrived with promises of more exciting matches
- Video challenge eyes the court in second and final round
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - As It Happened
- Introducing Round 2: Russia, USA, Turkey and Bulgaria seek a pass to the Final Six
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 14 events
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- First round concludes with thrilling matches across Italy
- Ma-Xia win beach volleyball gold at Asian Games
- First FIVB World Tour medal bittersweet for Italy's Menegatti/Orsi Toth
- Call brings old Brazilian friends back together on the beach
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Brazil holds off Italy to win women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Netherlands stops Brazil for men’s gold medal at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China’s Ma-Xia to face Thailand’s Udomchavee-Radarong in the final of Asian Games beach volleyball tournament
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Varenhorst calls in the Experience to FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Beach growing in the land of Volleyball
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- Brazil, Netherlands to tangle for men’s gold Sunday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- Brazil to meet Italy for women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Last-minute invite leads Popp to fifth place at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Four China teams make Asian Games beach volleyball semis
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Men’s final four set for Saturday’s semifinals at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Women’s final four set for Saturday’s semis at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Slow end doesn't dull Czech Republic's Slukova/Kolocova breakthrough year
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Twenty-four men’s duos advance from pool play Thursday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Canada's Binstock/Schachter earn memorable triple in São Paulo
- Women’s field reduced to 24 teams at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Were you at the final?
- Austria's Schwaiger on road to Rio with new teammate