Athlete Role Model ready to guide next generation stars
Singapore, Singapore, August 20, 2010 - The FIVB took the opportunity to present their Youth Olympic Games Role Model, former Chinese Olympic Volleyball player Feng Kun ahead of the girls’ tournament press conference on Friday as the tournament prepares to begin tomorrow.
Feng Kun is an Olympic champion after winning gold with the Chinese women's national team in Athens 2004|
Athens Olympic Games champion and Beijing silver medalist Feng Kun of China will provide the inspiration and guidance for tomorrow’s generation of stars at the 2010 Youth Olympic Games as the Athlete Role Model for Volleyball.
2010 Girls' Youth Olympic Games
2010 Boys' Youth Olympic Games
Women's Youth and Junior World Rankings
Men's Youth and Junior World Rankings
YOG live coverage
YOG video on demand
Mr. Cristóbal Marte Hoffiz, FIVB 1st Executive Vice-President explained: “This choice was made by a consensus of the FIVB members. She was chosen because we understand that in Ms. Kun, we found somebody who has maintained a very good example for the youth. She has spent a lot of time mentoring the kids in China, and her personal values were very important to us.”
Each sport at the 2010 Youth Olympic Games, which runs from August 14-26 in Singapore, will feature an Athlete Role Model, who will be on site giving the participants tips, encouragement, lessons and above all an example to follow. Feng, 31, was a legendary setter and captain of the Chinese women’s team who claimed gold at the 2004 Olympic Games by beating Russia in the final before leading China to bronze at the 2008 Olympic Games in her home city, beating Cuba in the playoff for third.
“I feel that as a young athlete, it is very important to gain experience and feel the spirit of the games. I am very proud to be an Athlete Role Model here," Ms Kun said. “My best Olympic memory happened in Athens in 2004 when I earned the gold medal.
“I want to try to develop their love for the sport and Olympic Games. I will also give them advice about how to win.
“I find this Olympic Village very different from the ones I experienced as a player. Here, there is a very strong emphasis on learning and cultural interaction.”
- Watch: Highlights of 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Draw
- Legendary coach Karpol visits FIVB
- Germany ready to battle for ticket to 2014 World Champs
- And the countdown begins to the Durban Open
- Ghana, Nigeria in final phase of Women's World Championship qualification
- Record 28 teams for 2014 World Grand Prix
- Celebrating Czech Republic's 'Mini volleyball in colours'
- Mini volleyball fever takes hold of Palestine
- World League expands to 28 countries
- VIS seminar concludes in Trinidad and Tobago
- Rwanda, Kenya join Egypt to World Champs final qualification phase
- World Tour Council meets in Lausanne
- Egypt claim gold at World Champs zone 5 qualifier
- Talita and Lima confirmed as women’s rankings champs
- Alison and Emanuel announce split
- 5 teams share immaculate record after CEV Champions League third round comes to a close
- Egypt continue with another win as Rwanda edge Kenya in World Champs qualifier
- Jamaicans Hutchinson, Bryan book China ticket in style
- Trinidadian girls Ward, Davidson seal Youth Olympic spot
- Fruitful meeting for Beach Volleyball Commission
- Yet another successful year for Brazil's VivaVolei festival
- Beach Volleyball tour starts in Sierra Leone
- Impressive 56-54 set score at Korean V-League match
- Jamaica, Barbados surprise top teams for China chance
- Watch: The best of 2013 FIVB World Tour now online
- Egypt lead with second victory as Uganda register first win in World Champs qualifier
- Russian dominance ends as Brazil back at number one
- Level II coaches course gets underway in Mauritius
- One step forward for beach volleyball in Indonesia
- Egypt struggle past Kenya as Rwanda ease past Burundi in World Champs qualifier
- FIVB flourishes on Chinese social media
- Zorzi evaluates World Grand Champions Cup performances
- Volleyball workshop boosts sport in Palestine
- Media accreditation reminder for Durban Open
- Trinidad & Tobago host successful setter seminar
- Brazil win fourth World Grand Champions Cup title, Russia and Italy settle for silver and bronze
- Brazil, Russia, Italy all have a shot at Grand Champions Cup gold before last round
- With third straight victory Brazil cement their leadership at Men’s Grand Champions Cup
- Fans flock to FIVB's YouTube following historic Thailand win
- Coaches look forward to another three days of world-class volleyball
- Natalie Cook: "I'm looking forward to 2014 and beyond"
- Andrea Zorzi: 'Size and height aren’t Japan’s only problem'
- Afghanistan gives beach volleyball a jump-start
- Brazil only team with two victories as Grand Champions Cup moves to Tokyo
- Team Japan’s improvement will take time says former volleyball star Motoko Obayashi
- Iran captain says mentality has changed dramatically under Velasco’s leadership
- Andrea Zorzi reviews World Grand Champions Cup opening day
- FIVB and Rio 2016 collaborate to ensure spectacular Olympic Games
- Italy, Brazil, USA all start Men’s Grand Champions Cup on a high note
- Japan coach Manabe draws the line after winning World Grand Champions Cup bronze