Athlete Role Model ready to guide next generation stars
Singapore, Singapore, August 20, 2010 - The FIVB took the opportunity to present their Youth Olympic Games Role Model, former Chinese Olympic Volleyball player Feng Kun ahead of the girls’ tournament press conference on Friday as the tournament prepares to begin tomorrow.
Feng Kun is an Olympic champion after winning gold with the Chinese women's national team in Athens 2004|
Athens Olympic Games champion and Beijing silver medalist Feng Kun of China will provide the inspiration and guidance for tomorrow’s generation of stars at the 2010 Youth Olympic Games as the Athlete Role Model for Volleyball.
2010 Girls' Youth Olympic Games
2010 Boys' Youth Olympic Games
Women's Youth and Junior World Rankings
Men's Youth and Junior World Rankings
YOG live coverage
YOG video on demand
Mr. Cristóbal Marte Hoffiz, FIVB 1st Executive Vice-President explained: “This choice was made by a consensus of the FIVB members. She was chosen because we understand that in Ms. Kun, we found somebody who has maintained a very good example for the youth. She has spent a lot of time mentoring the kids in China, and her personal values were very important to us.”
Each sport at the 2010 Youth Olympic Games, which runs from August 14-26 in Singapore, will feature an Athlete Role Model, who will be on site giving the participants tips, encouragement, lessons and above all an example to follow. Feng, 31, was a legendary setter and captain of the Chinese women’s team who claimed gold at the 2004 Olympic Games by beating Russia in the final before leading China to bronze at the 2008 Olympic Games in her home city, beating Cuba in the playoff for third.
“I feel that as a young athlete, it is very important to gain experience and feel the spirit of the games. I am very proud to be an Athlete Role Model here," Ms Kun said. “My best Olympic memory happened in Athens in 2004 when I earned the gold medal.
“I want to try to develop their love for the sport and Olympic Games. I will also give them advice about how to win.
“I find this Olympic Village very different from the ones I experienced as a player. Here, there is a very strong emphasis on learning and cultural interaction.”
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- “It’s been a long season”
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”
- As the Mikasa Turns - Bansley & Pavan "split" conversation
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- TALKIN’ STATS: Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Preview
- Toronto's Tuesday Trial - Pavan’s pristine picture?
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016
- Pools and schedule outlined for Men's Club World Champs
- Trentino, UPCN and Bolivar join top teams at Men’s Club World Champs
- Lupo and Nicolai staying grounded despite Rio silver
- Schedule set as World Tour Finals countdown enters final week