Turkey dominates U22 Balkan Championship in Timisoara
Five of the ten BVA members sent representatives to the western Romanian city of Timisoara. Eleven men’s and ten women’s duos from Greece, Moldova, Romania, Serbia and Turkey took part in the two-day double-elimination competition.
In the women’s final, Seda Canli/Merve Nezir from Turkey shut out Adriana Melniciuc/Ioana-Alexandra Ordean from Romania with a convincing 2-0 (21-13, 21-8) win to claim the Balkan title. Serbia’s Teodora Trifunovic/Aleksandra Aleksic managed to overpower Turkey’s second pair Merve Aktas/Irmak Keskin by 2-1 (21-15, 15-21, 15-13) in the third place match to conquer the bronze medals.
In the men's competition, Turkey’s first duo Zirlu Safa/Baysal Yasin beat Serbia’s second duo Lazar Kalaric/Ivan Lozic by 2-0 (21-18, 21-16) in the final, to complete their country’s triumph with a second gold medal. Before that, the host country’s second team Ioan-Marius Rosu/Lucian-Pavel Badiceanu celebrated victory in the bronze medal game with a 2-0 (21-18, 21-18) win against Moldova’s top tandem Dionis Gorea/Ion Moisei.
Final standings - Women:
1. TUR 1 (Seda Canli / Merve Nezir)
2. ROU 1 (Adriana Melniciuc / Ioana-Alexandra Ordean)
3. SRB 1 (Teodora Trifunovic / Aleksandra Aleksic)
4. TUR 2 (Merve Aktas / Irmak Keskin)
5. MLD 1 (Marina Bahova / Elizaveta Sussova)
5. ROU 2 (Andreea-Maria Barsastean / Beatrice Galit)
7. SRB 2 (Tijana Basic / Irena Drobnjak)
7. GRE 1 (Ioanna Parisaki / Dimitra Mandvi)
9. MLD 2 (Maria Idjisov / Anastasia Grabovetcaia)
9. ROU 3 (Andreea Vintila / Andreea Maier)
Final standings - Men:
1. TUR 1 (Yasin Baysal / Safa Zirlu)
2. SRB 2 (Lazar Kalaric / Ivan Lozic)
3. ROU 2 (Ioan-Marius Rosu / Lucian-Pavel Badiceanu)
4. MLD 1 (Dionis Gorea / Ion Moisei)
5. ROU 4 (Bogdan Ivan / Andrei Crisan)
5. SRB 1 (Sasa Surla / Dobre Klasnic)
7. MLD 2 (Eugeniu Popadiuc / Fiodor Majorov)
7. TUR 2 (Burhan Zorluer / Mehmet Rifat Kantarcioglu)
9. ROU 1 (Adrian Matica / Robert-Claudiu Virlan)
9. ROU 3 (Florian Kaburek / Nicolae-Mircea Rosu)
9. GRE 1 (Ioanis Kavaratsiz / Ioannis Vrachnas)
Click here for more information.