USA and Iran sign memorandum of understanding
Anaheim, USA, August 13, 2014 - USA Volleyball and the Iranian Volleyball Federation signed a historic agreement of bilateral cooperation on Monday at a dinner at the White House Restaurant in Anaheim.
USA Volleyball and the Iran Volleyball Federation sign memorandum of understanding|
The agreement, signed by USA Volleyball CEO Dr. Doug Beal and Dr. Mohammadreza Davarzani, President of the I.R. Iran Volleyball Federation, calls for the countries to work together to strengthen their standards of volleyball at all levels.
“We are excited to have the Iranian Men’s Volleyball Team as our guests in the United States,” Dr. Beal said. “This agreement formalises the already strong relationship between our two federations and lays a foundation for us to build on.
“This exchange promotes sport and understanding, allowing the athletes from each country to know each other both as competitors on the court, as well as establish a relationship with each other off the court. Sport is a powerful vehicle to improve understanding and mutual respect, and we are sure there will be follow up opportunities in the years ahead to further develop these exchanges in each country.”
Dr. Davarzani said: "This agreement will enhance the capacities of volleyball, technically and scientifically, in both countries, and will improve the standards of volleyball at the world level."
The Iranian Men’s National Volleyball Team is competing in the United States for the first time in more than 35 years as both teams prepare for the 2014 FIVB World Championship from August 30 to September 21 in Poland.
The United States and Iran are playing four exhibition matches this week. The first one on Saturday drew more than 5,000 spectators to the Galen Center at the University of Southern California as the US Men emerged victorious.
The next three matches will be played Wednesday (August 13) at the Anaheim Convention Center, Friday (August 15) at Viejas Arena at San Diego State University and Saturday (August 16) at the Bren Center at UC Irvine.
Anaheim is home to the USA Volleyball Indoor National Teams Programme.
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- Cuba and USA crowned in Punta Cana
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Our Side of the Net project hits Novi Sad
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play
- School teachers attend course in US Virgin Islands
- Volleyball in the Pacific wraps up for 2015
- Poland, Serbia, Turkey and hosts Azerbaijan make European Games semis
- Kenya, Algeria turn attention to World Grand Prix
- Top band The Potbelleez to entertain Australia-Brazil crowds
- Latvia's Plavins and Regza take European Games gold
- Betschart and Eiholzer win 'Alpine derby' at European Games
- Azerbaijan edge Belgium in five sets at European Games
- Russia, Netherlands win five-setters at European Games
- Red Dragons take first European Games win in tiebreak thriller
- Poland take third tiebreak win at European Games
- Egypt holds successful Level II Coaches Course
- Bahrain hosts VIS Technical Seminar
- Level I VCP Coaches Course held in Bhutan
- Kenya and Algeria ready for Women's African Championship final
- Russia open fourth day of action at European Games with show of strength
- France get first victory at European Games
- Women's competition organised in Palestine
- New version of FIVB Referee Online Course launched
- Vanuatu hosts VCP Teachers Course
- Russia win thrilling European Games clash
- Turkey upset Serbia in European Games Pool A
- Serbia team show their support
- "Our side of the net" project gathers 400 children in Novi Sad
- 1,500 kids take part in Mini-Volleyball Day in Portugal
- Level I Coaches Course held in Cordoba, Argentina
- Dutch, German and Serbian teams start European Games in top form in pool B
- Italy down 'Yellow Tigers' in Pool A opener, Azerbaijan get the party started at Crystal Hall, Poland upset Turkey at European Games
- The European Games begin
- Philippines hosts successful VCP Beach Volleyball Grassroots Course
- Level II Coaches Course hosted in Cape Verde
- Turkish Volleyball Federation appoints TSE Consulting to facilitate long-term strategy development
- FIVB/CEV Volleyball Technical Seminars a huge success in England
- 700 youngsters enjoy Gira Volei in Alentejo
- Weather cannot turn off the joy of CEV Youth Summer Festival in Gijón
- Dominican Republic and Cuba to FIVB World Cup
- 7,000 youngsters enjoy annual Power Cup in Finland
- JaVA continues push to develop coaching skills in Jamaica
- AVC concludes successful Board of Administration Meeting