Volleyball StoryChronological HighlightsBeach Volleyball OriginsRulesFundamentals
CompetitionsCalendarWorld RankingsOfficial RulesOfficial FormsVolleyball Story
CompetitionsPlayer BiosWorld RankingsRulesFormsBeach Volleyball OriginsRefereeing
Volleyball Cooperation Programme (VCP)Development CentresTechnical e-libraryTechnical Video EvaluationU-VolleyInternational CooperationMini/School VolleyballPark Volley
Contact l RSS RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube l Login
HEADLINES

Santo Domingo is one of five launching pads of 2013 WGP

 
Ramon García, president of DR National Federation, speaks during the press conference held in Santo Domingo to announce the first leg of the FIVB World Grand Prix
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, June 20, 2013 – The Dominican Republic National Federation and the host broadcaster Cadena de Noticias officially announced Santo Domingo as one of the five cities to serve off the 2013 FIVB World Grand Prix on August 2-4.

The details of the event to take place at Palacio del Voleibol of the Dominican capital were announced in a press conference held at the premises of CDN, the television station that forms part of Multimedios del Caribe.

Teams of Serbia, Puerto Rico, Czech Republic and Dominican Republic will compete during the first weekend while other sixteen sides will be playing in Ankara (Turkey), Campinas (Brazil), Macao (China) and Montichiari (Italy).

The event was chaired by Ramón A. Garcia, president of the Dominican Federation, Cristobal Marte Hoffiz, FIVB First Executive Vice President and Juan Cohen, general manager of Multimedios del Caribe.

Garcia made reference to the success achieved last year when Santo Domingo hosted for the first time the women’s annual world event and capacity crowds watched the three-day weekend event at the 5,500-seat facility.

“It is with great satisfaction that we announce that once again the Dominican fans will have the opportunity to see in action our best players competing against outstanding international teams,” Garcia said. “It is a major enjoyable sport event and the Dominicans will have this unique opportunity.”

Marte Hoffiz highlighted the fact that Dominican Republic has been qualifying to the Grand Prix for ten consecutive years which speaks itself about the level of quality reached by the senior national team.

“This achievement goes long beyond the work in the office,” he said. “It is a tribute to the hard work of the players and the technical staff.”

Cohen, meanwhile, said to be proud about CDN being selected for second year as the host broadcaster of such quality competition, considered the premier world annual event of women’s volleyball.

During the press conference, the Dominican Team, led by its coach Marcos Kwiek, was introduced while the captain Bethania De la Cruz pronounced a few words.

Also present at the activity was former player Milagros Cabral, who is taking charge of the duties as the team manager.



 Language(s)
   English
   French
   Spanish

Download highresolution

| More

LATEST HEADLINES

Latest news