FIVB brings back ‘Match of the Week’ for 2013 World League
Lausanne, Switzerland, May 30, 2013 – The FIVB is pleased to announce the return of the FIVB Volleyball World League ‘Match of the Week’ after a year’s hiatus. The programme allows for broadcasters to televise for free, one match from each week of the FIVB’s premier annual tournament for men.
The "Match of the week" highlighted Germany's meeting with Russia in the 2011 edition of the World League. This year's programme will feature seven matches over the course of the World League Intercontinental Round.|
The specially selected ‘Match of the Week’ is available to the World League’s host broadcasters as well as other TV channels. The FIVB launched the initiative in 2008 to further spread volleyball into regions where the sport has the potential to grow.
In total there will be seven matches - one more than in previous years - distributed by IMG free of charge to the host TV Broadcasters of the 18 participating countries. The matches will include English commentary and will be shown live and on demand on the FIVB Web TV, geo-blocked only in countries where respective rights have been sold.
The first 'Match of the Week' will see Korea and Japan (Pool C) play their first match together on June 1 at 05:00 GMT at the Hwasung Indoor Gym in Hwasung, Korea.
Week two will feature 2012 World League title holder Poland in a Pool A home match against Brazil in Lodz on June 9 at 18:15 with week three featuring Russia against Serbia on June 14 at 15:00 in Kaliningrad for a Pool B match.
In week four fans will be able to watch Bulgaria host Argentina in Sofia (last year’s World League Finals host city) on June 22 at 17:00 in a Pool A match while week five will see Cuba take on Russia in Pool B on June 28 in La Habana at 00:40 (+1d). Week six will feature Serbia again, this time taking on Italy in Novi Sad on July 6 at 18:00 in Pool B. In week 7 fans will be able to watch one of the biggest rivalries in volleyball when Brazil host USA in a Pool A match in Rio de Janeiro on July 13 at 13:00. All times are GMT.
In 2011 the ‘Match of the Week’ was broadcast by 19 international broadcasters across 53 territories. Highlights of all the matches also appeared in the 26 minute FIVB World League highlight, produced and distributed by IMG once a week. Like this year, all matches were shown live and on demand on FIVB Web TV.
This year the English commentary for the matches will be provided by Phil Bush, a former player turned broadcaster who has worked for the FIVB to provide the Play by Play for the FIVB ‘Match of the Week.’ He has spent 17 seasons working for Fox SportsNet South, ESPNU, CSS and Sun Sports.
The FIVB Volleyball World League is set to start on Friday and run until July 14 with the Finals taking place in Mar del Plata, Argentina from July 17 to 21.
For more info contact the FIVB TV & Marketing Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anderson announces break from volleyball
- Closing Ceremony ends IRCC in Zimbabwe
- Beach volleyball coaching course completed in Qatar
- Coaches course begins in Cameroon
- CEV President delighted at successful General Assembly
- Cool Volley takes off in Cordoba
- 2014 Fair Play Award presented to Romanian Beach Volleyballers Ordean and Melniciuc
- CEV launches “Green Way” campaign
- CEV announces organisers of European Championships
- CEV goes social, with new Twitter, Facebook accounts
- CEV and Mikasa extend their partnership for another four years
- CEV President reviews year of success for Europe’s Volleyball family
- CEV President opens XXXV General Assembly in Antalya
- Northern Marianas turn to Cool Volley for growth
- CEV BoA sends message of unity and cohesion on eve of XXXV General Assembly
- CAVB Referees Course ends in Burkina Faso
- ExCom meeting opens busy week for CEV
- Grankin inducted into elite Sergey Tetyukhin Club
- VakifBank adds Super Cup glory
- Myanmar hosts Technical Seminar
- Coaches course completed in Chennai
- Peru win gold medal at U20 Final Four Cup
- International coaches course begins in Costa Rica
- IRCC begins in Zimbabwe
- Cameroon hosts Teachers VCP
- Tomis sets up U13 department in neighbouring city of Tulcea
- Swedish women, Norwegian men take gold at U19 NEVZA Championships
- China and Korea clash top of agenda on day 3 of Asian U20 Championships
- Iran, Qatar match highlights day two of Asian U20 Championships
- Marte Hoffiz to preside Dominican Hall of Fame induction ceremony
- Day two set to begin at Asian U20 Men’s Championship
- Hosts Thailand up against Korea, Japan set cup 2012 final rematch with China in semi-finals of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru and Dominican Republic open with victories
- Hong Kong outclass India in playoff of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Lima ready for first edition of U20 Final Four
- Peru host U20 Final Four Gatorade Cup
- Japan aim to make it three in a row at 17th Asian Men's U20 Championship
- Hosts Thailand stun world champions China in Asian Girls’ U17 playoffs
- Halkbank clinch Turkish Super Cup crown
- Congo hosts fifth Volleyball festival
- Auckland completes VCP coaching on a high note
- Russia retain first place in European women's ranking
- Sixth edition of Denitza Krivova Memorial held in France
- JaVA look forward to increased participation in Developmental Volleyball Championship
- Wiener Städtische announced as Serbian League sponsor for ninth season
- China, Japan, Korea, Thailand send rivals packing at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Hosts Thailand, Japan, China, Korea top their pools at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- President Medina congratulates Dominican women’s team
- Brazil win South American U22 Championship
- Benfica edge Castêlo to win Portuguese Supercup