International U19 tournament in memory of Yuri Chesnokov
Anapa, Russia, May 24, 2013 - An international U19 volleyball tournament will be held at the ‘Volley Grad’ near Anapa from May 23 to 25 in memory of Yuri Chesnokov.
In 2000, Yuri Chesnokov was the first non-American athlete to be inducted into the Volleyball Hall of Fame in Holyoke (USA). In the same year, Russia awarded him the title of "Sports Legend of the Past Century."
Russia, Mexico Poland, Argentina and Serbia are the five junior (U19) teams scheduled to take part in the tournament. The first four teams have qualified for the 2013 World Championships in Mexico from June 27 to July 7.
Yuri Chesnokov (1933 - 2010) was a legendary volleyball player and coach who was part of the USSR team from 1955 to 1964. He was Olympic champion in 1964, two-time world champion (1960 and 1962) and eight-time champion of the USSR.
He later took over as coach of the USSR men's team (1970-1976) and was also vice-president of the International Volleyball Federation from 2002 to 2008.
Over his career he helped the men's volleyball team, CSKA Moscow, win the title of USSR champion ten times and the European Cup, five times.
From 1970 to 1976 he also coached the men's national team of the USSR, which were twice Olympic silver medallists (1972 and 1976), silver medallists of the 1974 World Cup and two-time European champions (1971 and 1975). From 1976 to 1983 he was also head coach of the Armed Forces of Volleyball and led the women’s volleyball team CSKA from 1983 to 1984.
Over a span of 30 years, Yuri Chesnokov was also a member of the Governing Council and the Executive Committee as well as the vice-president of the FIVB (1976-1992, 1994-1998, 2002-2008). Prior to 1992 he was vice-president of the Volleyball Federation of the USSR, and from1996 to 1999 he was vice-president of the Russian Volleyball Federation. In the last years of his life he was also chairman of the coaching committee IEF.
- Anderson announces break from volleyball
- Closing Ceremony ends IRCC in Zimbabwe
- Beach volleyball coaching course completed in Qatar
- Coaches course begins in Cameroon
- CEV President delighted at successful General Assembly
- Cool Volley takes off in Cordoba
- 2014 Fair Play Award presented to Romanian Beach Volleyballers Ordean and Melniciuc
- CEV launches “Green Way” campaign
- CEV announces organisers of European Championships
- CEV goes social, with new Twitter, Facebook accounts
- CEV and Mikasa extend their partnership for another four years
- CEV President reviews year of success for Europe’s Volleyball family
- CEV President opens XXXV General Assembly in Antalya
- Northern Marianas turn to Cool Volley for growth
- CEV BoA sends message of unity and cohesion on eve of XXXV General Assembly
- CAVB Referees Course ends in Burkina Faso
- ExCom meeting opens busy week for CEV
- Grankin inducted into elite Sergey Tetyukhin Club
- VakifBank adds Super Cup glory
- Myanmar hosts Technical Seminar
- Coaches course completed in Chennai
- Peru win gold medal at U20 Final Four Cup
- International coaches course begins in Costa Rica
- IRCC begins in Zimbabwe
- Cameroon hosts Teachers VCP
- Tomis sets up U13 department in neighbouring city of Tulcea
- Swedish women, Norwegian men take gold at U19 NEVZA Championships
- China and Korea clash top of agenda on day 3 of Asian U20 Championships
- Iran, Qatar match highlights day two of Asian U20 Championships
- Marte Hoffiz to preside Dominican Hall of Fame induction ceremony
- Day two set to begin at Asian U20 Men’s Championship
- Hosts Thailand up against Korea, Japan set cup 2012 final rematch with China in semi-finals of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Peru and Dominican Republic open with victories
- Hong Kong outclass India in playoff of Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Lima ready for first edition of U20 Final Four
- Peru host U20 Final Four Gatorade Cup
- Japan aim to make it three in a row at 17th Asian Men's U20 Championship
- Hosts Thailand stun world champions China in Asian Girls’ U17 playoffs
- Halkbank clinch Turkish Super Cup crown
- Congo hosts fifth Volleyball festival
- Auckland completes VCP coaching on a high note
- Russia retain first place in European women's ranking
- Sixth edition of Denitza Krivova Memorial held in France
- JaVA look forward to increased participation in Developmental Volleyball Championship
- Wiener Städtische announced as Serbian League sponsor for ninth season
- China, Japan, Korea, Thailand send rivals packing at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Hosts Thailand, Japan, China, Korea top their pools at Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- President Medina congratulates Dominican women’s team
- Brazil win South American U22 Championship
- Benfica edge Castêlo to win Portuguese Supercup