"Jenny" Lang Ping named China's women’s volleyball coach
Beijing, China, April 25, 2013 – Chinese veteran coach Lang Ping has been named head coach of China’s women’s national team for the next Olympic Games quadrennial ending with the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games.
Lang Ping speaks at press conference after her nomination as head coach of China's women team|
Lang Ping’s appointment was announced at a press conference held in Beijing on Thursday at China's National Volleyball Administrative Centre.
Speaking at the press conference Ping said, “It is a great honour to be nominated as the head coach of the Chinese women’s team and I would like to express my sincere thanks to all for your trust and confidence in me. China’s women’s volleyball team is loved deeply by Chinese people and has clinched many glories in history. After fourteen years, I am very honoured to be the head coach of Chinese Women’s Volleyball team again.
”Chinese volleyball is facing a lot of difficulties and we have a lot of things to do. I believe volleyball is a collective sport, relying on all those who love volleyball to overcome any difficulty and work together.
“We need time and we are determined to try our utmost to achieve good results at 2016 Rio Olympic Games.”
"Jenny" Lang Ping, born December 10, 1960 in Beijing, is a former Chinese volleyball player and the former head coach of Chinese Women’s Volleyball team.
She played for the national team that won the gold medal against the United States at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games. She was also a member of the team that won the World Championship crown in 1982 in Peru and World Cup titles in 1981 and 1985.
Lang Ping was an assistant coach at the University of New Mexico from 1987–89 and 1992-93.
In 1995, she became the head coach of the Chinese national team and eventually guided the squad to the silver medal at the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games and second place at the 1998 World Championships in Japan.
Lang Ping resigned from the Chinese national team in 1998 due to health reasons. In the following year, she took a head coaching position in the Italian professional volleyball league and enjoyed great success there, winning the league championship and the coach of the year award multiple times.
She became the coach of the US National Team in 2005 guiding them to a silver medal at the 2008 Olympics. Lang resigned from the position in 2008 to spend more time with her family but in 2009, she returned to the Guangdong Evergrande women's club, leading the team to victory in the 2011-12 league season.
- Coaching assistance programme takes place in Haiti
- Level I Coaches Course completed in Tunisia
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- Cuba and USA crowned in Punta Cana
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Our Side of the Net project hits Novi Sad
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play
- School teachers attend course in US Virgin Islands
- Volleyball in the Pacific wraps up for 2015
- Poland, Serbia, Turkey and hosts Azerbaijan make European Games semis
- Kenya, Algeria turn attention to World Grand Prix
- Top band The Potbelleez to entertain Australia-Brazil crowds
- Latvia's Plavins and Regza take European Games gold
- Betschart and Eiholzer win 'Alpine derby' at European Games
- Azerbaijan edge Belgium in five sets at European Games
- Russia, Netherlands win five-setters at European Games
- Red Dragons take first European Games win in tiebreak thriller
- Poland take third tiebreak win at European Games
- Egypt holds successful Level II Coaches Course
- Bahrain hosts VIS Technical Seminar
- Level I VCP Coaches Course held in Bhutan
- Kenya and Algeria ready for Women's African Championship final
- Russia open fourth day of action at European Games with show of strength
- France get first victory at European Games
- Women's competition organised in Palestine
- New version of FIVB Referee Online Course launched
- Vanuatu hosts VCP Teachers Course
- Russia win thrilling European Games clash
- Turkey upset Serbia in European Games Pool A
- Serbia team show their support
- "Our side of the net" project gathers 400 children in Novi Sad
- 1,500 kids take part in Mini-Volleyball Day in Portugal
- Level I Coaches Course held in Cordoba, Argentina
- Dutch, German and Serbian teams start European Games in top form in pool B
- Italy down 'Yellow Tigers' in Pool A opener, Azerbaijan get the party started at Crystal Hall, Poland upset Turkey at European Games
- The European Games begin
- Philippines hosts successful VCP Beach Volleyball Grassroots Course
- Level II Coaches Course hosted in Cape Verde
- Turkish Volleyball Federation appoints TSE Consulting to facilitate long-term strategy development
- FIVB/CEV Volleyball Technical Seminars a huge success in England
- 700 youngsters enjoy Gira Volei in Alentejo
- Weather cannot turn off the joy of CEV Youth Summer Festival in Gijón
- Dominican Republic and Cuba to FIVB World Cup
- 7,000 youngsters enjoy annual Power Cup in Finland