FIVB Honorary Executive Vice-President passes away
Dr. Adityan was awarded the Gold Medal by the International Volleyball Federation for his active and key participation for the development of volleyball in India|
Lausanne, Switzerland, April 20, 2013 – The International Volleyball Federation is greatly saddened to learn of the passing of Honorary Executive Vice-President Sivanthi Adityan of India on Friday in Chennai of India at the age of 76 after prolonged illness.
Dr. Adityan, 76, was a FIVB Executive Committee member, member of numerous FIVB Commissions, President of the Volleyball Federation of India, Life President of the India Olympic Association and Vice President of the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA).
He was elected as a FIVB Board of Administration member during the FIVB World Congress held at Long Beach, Los Angeles, USA in 1984. Dr. Adityan was also elected as FIVB Executive Vice-President in the FIVB World Congress held at Tokyo, Japan in 1998.
FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° said: "Dr Adityan devoted all his life and time to volleyball. He made a tremendous contribution to our sport and he led the Volleyball Federation of India to a new development era. The FIVB will always be grateful to him for his contribution.
"We convey our heartfelt sympathies to his wife Mrs. Malathi Adityan and all family members."
Dr. Adityan had been hospitalized for more than a month undergoing treatment for a brain haemorrhage and doctors said he suffered a cardiac arrest on Friday. His last FIVB appearance was at the 2012 Congress in Anaheim where Dr. Graça was elected as the FIVB’s fourth President and Dr. Adityan received the honour of being named an Honorary Executive Vice-President.
In recognition to his valuable services to the sport and education, the International Olympic Committee presented him the Sports and Study Award in 1987. In 1995, the IOC conferred him the Olympic Order of Merit for his contributions to sports and education in his native country.
In 1989, Dr. Adityan also was awarded the Gold Medal by the International Volleyball Federation for his active and key participation for the development of volleyball in India.
He was also presented with the OCA Merit Award by His Excellency Sheikh Ahamed Alsabha, President of the OCA in 2010.
An educationist, industrialist and great philanthropist, Dr. Adityan received the civilian award of padmashri from the Government of India in recognition for his distinguished services in the field of literature and education.
Dr. Adityan was the president of the Thanthi Media Group which includes newspapers, television and radio stations, as well as private universities, colleges and technical institutes.
He is survived by his wife S. Malathi and his son S. Balasubramania.
- Technical Seminar-VIS held in Indonesia in June
- India hosts Technical Seminar on Setting
- Ouagadougou hosts Level 1 Coaches Course
- Coaching assistance programme takes place in Haiti
- Level I Coaches Course completed in Tunisia
- Countdown begins to European Volleyball Gala and Champions League drawing of lots ceremony
- Senegal's Fatou signs two-year deal with Azerbaijani club
- Brazil win Men’s U21 Pan Am Cup
- Cuba and USA crowned in Punta Cana
- Germany show nerves of steel to claim first, historic European Games gold
- Turkey’s women claim gold at first ever European Games
- Germany and Bulgaria in final at Baku 2015 European Games
- Turkey upset 4,500 home fans at European Games
- Slovaks join young players in Bratislava
- Our Side of the Net project hits Novi Sad
- Poland to play Bulgaria in European Games semis, Germany take on Russia hoping to make amends for defeat in pool play
- School teachers attend course in US Virgin Islands
- Volleyball in the Pacific wraps up for 2015
- Poland, Serbia, Turkey and hosts Azerbaijan make European Games semis
- Kenya, Algeria turn attention to World Grand Prix
- Top band The Potbelleez to entertain Australia-Brazil crowds
- Latvia's Plavins and Regza take European Games gold
- Betschart and Eiholzer win 'Alpine derby' at European Games
- Azerbaijan edge Belgium in five sets at European Games
- Russia, Netherlands win five-setters at European Games
- Red Dragons take first European Games win in tiebreak thriller
- Poland take third tiebreak win at European Games
- Egypt holds successful Level II Coaches Course
- Bahrain hosts VIS Technical Seminar
- Level I VCP Coaches Course held in Bhutan
- Kenya and Algeria ready for Women's African Championship final
- Russia open fourth day of action at European Games with show of strength
- France get first victory at European Games
- Women's competition organised in Palestine
- New version of FIVB Referee Online Course launched
- Vanuatu hosts VCP Teachers Course
- Russia win thrilling European Games clash
- Turkey upset Serbia in European Games Pool A
- Serbia team show their support
- "Our side of the net" project gathers 400 children in Novi Sad
- 1,500 kids take part in Mini-Volleyball Day in Portugal
- Level I Coaches Course held in Cordoba, Argentina
- Dutch, German and Serbian teams start European Games in top form in pool B
- Italy down 'Yellow Tigers' in Pool A opener, Azerbaijan get the party started at Crystal Hall, Poland upset Turkey at European Games
- The European Games begin
- Philippines hosts successful VCP Beach Volleyball Grassroots Course
- Level II Coaches Course hosted in Cape Verde
- Turkish Volleyball Federation appoints TSE Consulting to facilitate long-term strategy development
- FIVB/CEV Volleyball Technical Seminars a huge success in England
- 700 youngsters enjoy Gira Volei in Alentejo